Brian Mullan/Steve Zakuani incident

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Black Tide, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Brian Mullin/Steve Zakuani incident

we can have Matlock show Mullan got the ball and 20 other tackles from the last 10 years that look similar but not a foul and rest the case. and whoever participates for the player will be blackballed by MLS.

Maybe Arlo White can be the lead witness

2. madisonroad

madisonroad Member

Jun 20, 2009

It's quite possible that the 2011 MLS referee directive to "manage with personality" may factor in here. Whatever disciplinary action Mullan gets won't deter future assaults unless the referees abandon this directive and get back on track with the 2010 directive regarding automatic red card ejections, which improved the quality of play last season.

Zakuani's broken leg vs. MLS referee directive to 'manage with personality'

3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think the MLS business plan provides for charging MLS prices to watch USL/NASL players perform once you've decimated half the rosters for precautionary suspensions.

4. madisonroad

madisonroad Member

Jun 20, 2009

Westside Cosmos, you underestimate their intelligence. If players know they're going to be ejected for an egregious foul, they won't commit the foul.

There's a distinct difference in the style of officiating in 2011 and 2010. That difference originates with the 2011 "managing with personality" directive, which is more arbitrary and can be perceived as three strikes management by some and preferential treatment by others. The former leads to preemptive crippling tackles on top players in the early minutes and the latter leads to retaliation for uncalled fouls for the rest of the game.

5. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So let me get this straight: we're to the point now where we take any MLS news release as 100% gospel truth? we're to the point where we 100% believe what a pro soccer coach says to the media? when did this happen? I never signed up for that. how f'n naive are you? I have no idea if this is all genuine from Mullan or not -- and neither do any of you. unless you know the man personally, which none of you do. or unless you're inside the Rapids locker room, which none of you are.

I've worked in sports media in roles as a journalist and behind the scenes working for the team, and I can tell you unequivocally that a lot of what comes out from the teams' PR staff are measured, often made up and designed to sway somebody's opinion (whether that be the public or a governing body, like the Pac-10 commissioner's office, for example). If you think sports teams (pro or college) are above fabricating a story like this to gain favor with the public or the MLS league office ... then you are one extremely naive soul. Seriously, I have a great amount of pity for you, and the struggle you must go through in your daily life.

There's no doubt in my mind that some teams and some players would have no problem sending out a fabricated (or at least exaggerated) message like this in an effort to: (1) gain favor with the public and (2) get sympathy from the MLS discipline committee. I have no idea if that is what's going on here though. I am really hoping that this is 100% honest and genuine from Brian Mullan. He's come a long way from "I'd make this tackle again" to "I'm so shaken up I can't work today." Again, hopefully this is all on the level.

But if you think the opposite viewpoint is a "crazy conspiracy theory" then I really, really pity you. I've worked with and for a couple of elite NCAA FB teams and most of you would not believe the things I've seen behind the scenes. The amount of cover-ups and media manipulation that goes on is absolutely staggering. If you're gonna take everything MLS and teams and coaches spoonfeed you ... then God help you.

6. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wouldn't mind. The refs have been terrible this year and this is a consequence of that. The Galaxy were basically brawling with the Union for the last 10 minutes a few weeks ago and the ref gave that ruffian Donovan a yellow.

They don't know how to control a game or how to send a message to the players. So while things like diving are no where near as serious as what happened to Zakuani it was a symptom of the same thing; dangerous officiating.

Sue their ass.

7. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA

Handing out 10 game suspensions for every tackle that could have potentially injured someone would more or less reduce MLS to a 5 v 5 league, because that would be the total number of players available on every roster.

It was a back tackle. There are literally dozens of bad tackles every single week in MLS and every other league around the world. This one unfortunately resulted in a freak injury.

I have no problem with a 3 game suspension. But people calling for Mullen's head are just plain stupid. There was no intent. The whole "proving a point" notion is based in a fantasy land.

It was a reckless tackle. It is extremely unfortunate that it resulted in a severe injury. But Mullen has absolutely ZERO history of dirty play or bad tackles.

If it had been Dema Kovalenko, then yes, there would be a case for a longer suspension and you could make an argument for intent. But my God, people are overreacting in their efforts to form a lynch mob and hunt down Mullen.

As dumb as some of the posts in this thread have been, this is easily in the top 3.

1) By stepping on a playing field, professional athletes accept an understood risk of physical contact and potential injury as a result of said contact. As such, the normal laws that dictate what is and isn't assault aren't applicable. Assault in the realm of professional sports would have to fall well outside what is considered normal play.

2) a slide tackle (even a late and reckless one) isn't far outside the scope of normally expected behavior.

3) The precedents that you very poorly refer to are ALL instances of premeditated violence. Deliberate elbows and punches. Taking a players head and driving it into the wall in a hockey game. Taking off your skate and trying to stab someone with it.

Even then, it is extremely hard to prove intent.

Get your head out of your ass.

8. rtschaefer

rtschaefer New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dallas

You have a curious habit of projecting.

Just my own two cents--as I have some professional training on such matters--Mullan's reactions seem perfectly normal to me, both his immediately reaction after the game, and what is happening now. No, I doubt PR has anything to do with it, and even if they did, he would still go through this phase of dealing with strong feelings of guilt.

First of all, as you know, I am not a fan of Mullan's style of play. Never have been. I think he represents a certain style of MLS play that I do not particularly appreciate, and I hope it is seriously mitigated in the years to come by the league. He doesn't tackle cleanly, he lunges at people, and unfortunately, he finally hit the injury lottery.

However, when you face a huge miscue in which you are undeniably culpable--one that is connected to YEARS of behavior choices (his "100s" of reckless challenges and anger management problem), the very first instinct while in shock over what happened is to defend your legacy. Hence his comment about defending his style of play, even to the point of denying responsibility or the need to change future behavior.

However, time has past, and the reality is starting to seriously sink in for Brian. It would only be normal for him to appreciate the gravity of what he has done....all of it--(1) getting mad over the no-call (2) seeing red (3) racing to the first Sounder in sight with the ball (4) going in high on that nameless/faceless player in green with adrenaline and rage (5) then hearing the snap of the leg.

He now realizes this will define his legacy. Not his five rings. THIS. At the very least it will tarnish his career always. That is a very difficult thing to deal with. It would be for anyone.

That he is getting counseling is very good to hear. There is plenty of time for Mullan to turn this horrible event into something positive. Exactly what that means is going to be up to him. I wish Brian the best, and I believe it is never too late to change.

That's right friends.....

It is never to late for a coach to finally teach Mullan how to tackle. ;)

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As a professional I would think you would know better than to try to diagnose somebody like this based on a few minutes of play every week, even if it has been for a number of seasons. I certainly haven't heard Mullan or his doctors ever talk about an anger management problem.

10. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009

Someone let me know when the guy actually goes to counseling and actually goes to see Steve in the hospital.

Geez, this guy is even messy at PR.

11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #686 KCbus, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    Yeah. It's completely out of the realm that a soccer player might get injured by a SLIDE TACKLE.

12. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

The Incredible MulHulk gets angry at them when they talk about his issues.

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

Anyone else seeing a resemblance here?

[​IMG]

14. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What is he supposed to do? Take a sledge hammer to his own leg to prove he's sorry?

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gotta love this forum. People complain that Mullan wasn't repentant enough on the field. Mullan gives a post-game interview where he's upset and people say he wasn't repentant enough in the post-game interview. Mullan misses practice to get counseling and works on meeting with Zakuani and people say he's not repentant enough by making these efforts (even though they're the exact efforts they were calling for a day before).

Out of curiosity, when he gets to self-flagellation, a hair shirt, and a scarlet T (for thug) will that be enough or will you still expect more?

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK, that's well done. Somebody rep him for me...

17. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

Hahaha...HAHAHHAHHAHAHA

This is a serious post?!

18. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

done. that was very nice.

19. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Sorry to break up the Houston/Colorado echo chamber this thread became... Interesting comment from Brian Dunseth on the ExtraTime Radio podcast.

Colorado fans can at least be satisfied that their player has managed to take the focus off RSL in their moment of glory. This has gotten a TON of publicity.

20. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I did talk some crap about Mullan earlier, but reading that article made me realize just how much this has hurt him. There really were TWO victims on Friday night, and it's time we all acknowledged that. I hope the Rapids set up a twitter page where we can send Brian our wishes for a speedy emotional and psychological recovery. We probably owe him that much, after spending days blaming him for what was, as the man himself said, just a freak, freak thing. The fact that he's sought counseling to recover from the pain and anguish of breaking Steve's leg is undoubtedly just the first step on what will be a long road to full rehabilitation.

21. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Largely because people keep bitching about it.

22. noel R

noel R Member

Nov 20, 2007
    chicago

I feel he is sorry. However when I first heard what happened and found it was Mullin I was not surprised. I've seen Mullin play enough to see some day he was going to hurt someone. Dont think he is necessarily a dirty player but always felt that he played out of control. The fact is guys can make 2 or 3 dangerous tackles before they get a warning or a card. If a ref gives him a card on the first nasty tackle, the ref is criticized on bigsoccer and by the superstars "beckham".

23. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you have a dry sense of humor? Your post reads like you're serious. BONE DRY SARCASM!! HA
    No, there was just one victim. And still just one perpetrator. That hasn't changed.
    Umm, no. I don't owe Brian Mullan anything. Thanks for the idea though.
    Freak thing? I'm referring to the incident in the 3rd minute of the COL-SEA game where Brian Mullan consciously and voluntarily committed one of the worse acts of thuggery I've seen on a professional soccer pitch. The same act that, afterwards, Mullan said he'd do again and again. Not sure about this "freak, freak thing" you're talking about. Send me a link though if they got it on video ... I'd love to see what you're talking about, it must have been a sight.

24. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you people are out of your heads.

25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #700 KCbus, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    OK, I've been trying not to get my hands too dirty with this, but this is really bothering me.

Brian Mullan, in that apology, was saying that coming in hard to try to win the ball is something that he's done a lot and will continue to do. That's all. This particular tackle is one that he drastically, drastically, drastically f***ed up.

He's probably made 5,000 tackles in his career, and this was the absolutely worst one. He wasn't trying to say that he's going to try to duplicate the ONE TACKLE that was the abolute worst of the worst. He's saying that making tackles in soccer is something he's done literally thousands of times, and if in the same situation again, he'd go for a tackle again. He's NOT saying that he's planning on putting someone on the operating table again.

Is this really so difficult to understand?