Brian Mullan/Steve Zakuani incident

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Black Tide, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Brian Mullin/Steve Zakuani incident

True, though the tackle on Ferreria, was at worst yellow-card worthy.

Great, make an example of Mullan, but come out and say that's what you're doing and follow it up. If they truly do this then I won't complain. I have no faith they will though. I expect that if they try to make an example of Mullan he'll be the only player suspended for a significant (more than 2 games) amount of time this year. If that's 5 games, fine, he probably deserves it. If its 10+ though, that's just hammering Mullan because of the outrage and then returning to status quo.

Either he gets about 5 and nothing changes, but at least he was treated fairly given past precedent, or he gets 10+ but we see a number of suspensions this year for 5 games due to crappy tackles (unless suddenly the whole league changes but we all know that won't happen).

I assume you get why this type of attitude from the MLS FO would piss Rapids fans off? Not that I see it as unlikely for the MLS FO to think this way, but it amounts to "Its OK to screw over the Rapids, nobody cares about them and if they make the playoffs everyone will be happy". I also know as soon as Rapids fans complain about it we'll get the "Shut up, he deserved it and so did your whole team for being a bunch of thugs" response from the expected quarters here at BigSoccer. Either way we're dammed. :D

2. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

This was a horrific challenge.

The reason it was bad is that Mullin was acting in retaliation. He was going in hard because of what happened a moment earlier.

He completley lost his head, and for that should be suspended for a minimum of 10 games, better for 15 games. The league has too many stars getting injured all the time, and is too hard in general.

This tackle reminded me of the Stoichkov tackle when he obliterated that kid. He also lost his head at that moment and did something brash. Same with Mullin here.

3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I recall about 25 years ago, WWF President Jack Tunney came on and announced cheating referee Danny Davis "is suspended for life!". As we all know, that was meaningless and scripted - which is exactly what will have happened if they put Mullan down for 10 games and then give Craig Rocastle 1 game for scissoring a guy next week.

The problem with throwing the book at Mullan is that you are trusting MLS and by extension the USSF to uniformly and consistently enforce rules and discipline, which they have shown nearly zero ability to do so. So unless you are prepared to sit multiple players for multiple games, nothing will change and in 3 months the whole thing will be forgotten.

The only real solution is try and do what the NHL did out of the lockout by calling all of the infractions they used to let go, even if the games turned into penalty killing exhibitions. But MLS referees aren't competent to do so on a consistent basis.

4. rtschaefer

rtschaefer New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Yes, I agree with you completely here. The only correct way forward in mitigating the number of injuries, is to first lower the number of risky and careless challenges people make in general.

The other bonus is that people who used to make an living largely by intimidation and hacking legs will be out of a job in most cases unless they've got a lot more game in their skill arsenal.

5. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
  6. rtschaefer

rtschaefer New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Yes, that is the key solution. The examples you provided should rightfully be multi-game suspensions. No doubt. In young Brek Shea's case, FC Dallas imposed their own extra game suspension to teach him a lesson, and I know he got more than an earful at practices for his antics. He's a good kid, just needs to mature and learn from the mistake. I've already noticed more restraint being displayed on his part--let's hope the lesson sticks.

One thing is for sure - in the hands of the wrong coach, he'd end up like Mullan, lunging at players "100s of times" before hitting the injury lottery at another's gruesome expense. I am so happy Allbright didn't get hurt. If Shea ever tries that again, he'll get shit thrown at him from the home crowd, let alone the opposition.

7. rtschaefer

rtschaefer New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

Wow, surprised. I have mixed feelings about this..on the one hand I'm glad that cooler heads prevailed and didn't issue a 10 game suspension just because of the unfortunate result of the tackle. On the other hand, I think something like 3-5 games would be fair and just.

:D

10. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

I'll hold you to that. If he tries that again, I expect to see a screen cap of you chucking a beer at him. :D

11. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mind you,the Nhl gave up on that after 2 years.

12. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO

The league must agree he was never gonna tell a lie or hurt you.

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sure this will make me more popular with Sounders fans, but in a bit of gallows humor and poor taste, after they put the plate in Zakuani's leg, his tibia will be "Together Forever"

14. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That denim on denim look is so... thankfully not popular anymore

15. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]
    Out Of Action
    Mullan distraught, absent after Zakuani incident
    mlssoccer.com

16. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam

Rapids' Mullan distraught, absent from workouts

17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

I thought that we all came to teh conclusion that he is unapologetic about it...

18. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

I wonder what the "fake apology" people will have to say about this..

19. craighwk

craighwk Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They will call Gary a liar and/or covering up for his player. There's no reasoning with these people who are only seeing through red tinted lenses.

Pretty much anyone who wishes to counter-argue this article really has no valid opinion. FYI for when you post.

20. CHthirteen

CHthirteen Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Chicago

conspiracy theory time.

21. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rapids' Smith defends Brian Mullan after tackling incident
    Denver Post

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But remember, Mullan is an unrepentant goon who deserves to be suspended for the season if not out and out blackballed.

(Just ignore the fact that he feels the need to take time off of work to get counseling for what he did. That kills the lead)

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Also in that article, since some people had questioned if he even bothered to see Zakuani:

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's no reasoning with most of them. They'll say it was made up for PR purposes.

I'm fairly certain that the Sounders supporters scarves are made with some sort of toxic or hazardous material that causes brain damage and mental incapacity when worn in the rain.

25. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How does him going through the motions of getting counseling change the conclusion? If the counseling is real, he's probably seeking it to help deal with the fact that his "legacy" is assured....and not in a positive way.