Brian McBride on Kickin It

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by FireJuveChelsea, Jun 24, 2024.

1. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Did anyone watch/listen to this a few days ago?

The things that stood out to be was how little he talked about things. For instance, him saying Berhalter is the best man for the job based off of what coaches they looked at for the job. Then they go can you say some names, he goes he wasn't apart of the search and didn't 'know'.

The other one was Dempsey brought up John Brooks situation and if he knew what was going on there........Mcbride said he wasn't getting playing time etc. and Davies goes he knows there's more but wanted to see what Brian would/can say and then Brian changed the subject completely. Does anyone fully know or have any idea the rumor of Brooks being banished from the team? Is it he just yelled at Gregg and that's why he's never selected anymore?

2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    A thought exercise:
    • Pulisic has yelled at Berhalter
    • Adams has yelled at Berhalter
    • Hoppe has really yelled at Berhalter
    • Scally has said things publicly that he thought the defense was too complex
    • Gio Reyna had a meltdown and his parents tried to get him fired
    Everyone of those players is a key player except Hoppe and even Hoppe got called in again.

I think it's pretty clear yelling at Berhalter does not get you exiled.

3. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is what you get from a closed circle corrupt fed good ol boy situation

anyone who simply speaks the truth is a "whistleblower" and ostracized for life

its cult-like and extremely toxic

i just feel bad for anyone professionally involved in soccer in the usa

4. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    scally didnt say the defense was too complex

he said players arent free to react and improvise and express themselves bc they are being choreographed by greggggggg......thats not a complexity issue....its a rigidity control freak issue from the manager/ and scally is right

5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Well, not exactly that, either, but either way -- why is Joe Scally still on the team if public criticism like that does nothing?

Brooks played himself off the team, not talked himself off the team.

6. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Fair on just the yelling, however if you challenge the coach or say it a specific way or try to show him up in front of the team he may take offense. With Davies saying he knows things but wanted see what Mcbride can or hear what he said makes me think it's more than just that though. And Mcbride changing the subject..

7. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Brian is still a consummate professional. It was always a pleasure watching him put his heart into his effort with the Nats.

8. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    There was a stretch of play where it was clear that Brooks, due to extremely poor play for whatever reason, was not to be trusted with a high line.

That was the end of Brooks. Its that simple.

9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well he also said that jurgen klopp would be the ideal manager if it was dream scenario time

10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Sure, but I don't see any evidence that Berhalter is cutting people for personal reasons.

He was a disaster in the first WCQ window and if you watch his errors, there is little effort shown in execution or attempted recovery. He's jogging behind as his mark scores.

One rumor I have heard is that I'm not the only person who questioned his effort in those games -- several people at US Soccer (who aren't the coaching staff) supposedly agree. The impression I get is that there's not a lot of people there questioning why he's not getting called in. McBride, come to think of it, might be one of them.

If he criticized or yelled or whatever, and then laid an absolute egg and looked like he didn't try ... yeah, that might just do it.

Effort and commitment are important to both this staff and US Soccer.

Or maybe he just got hurt like it was reported and other players took the role. He hasn't played much the last couple of years so I'm not really sure why the obsession with a guy who was never a great defensive player anyway -- he was a disaster in both of the last two WCQ cycles.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Brooks got 1500 minutes for Hoffenheim, which finished 7th in the B1. The team had a good record in the matches he had started. Calling him a disaster for the US is at best ignorant. He had some high profile mistakes but so did others.

BJ's comments hinted at something beyond purely footballing considerations. Like with the John Harkes, the full story will come out years later.

adam tash repped this.
  12. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As someone else has said he's played actually a lot again. Gregg said it was because he wasn't getting playing time etc.....then when he was getting playing time it would be another excuse. I don't know I really wanted to hear Charlie Davies perspective and what he's heard lol

IndividualEleven repped this.
  13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    He played 135 minutes and gave up two goals, costing us 2 points against Canada and putting us in the hole against Honduras. He was also poor the 2018 cycle, getting beat against Costa Rica and Mexico.

It doesn't matter if other people made a mistake, that's still a disaster in WCQ, which is what I said.

Brooks played the first half of the season for Hoffenheim, but then was benched. Seems like an important detail to keep out, huh? If he was such an important part of them winning, why was he benched?

He also spent half of the prior season on the bench as well.

And even the minutes he's played have mostly been in a back three.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    He hasn't played a lot again. He's played half of the last two years, almost exclusively in a back 3 where he's been protected, and he was benched for the last half season.

That said, I actually think his play at club is irrelevant. I think he dogged it, and I think no one has time for it, especially for a player who has always been a bit of a drama queen across the board. Personal opinion. He had some good passing games, but he's vastly overrated by US fans.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The way these guys hem and haw would indicate there's a bit more at play here.

16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a side note, Brooks is again out of contract and in search for a new club. .

17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it indicates that the cartel will freeze anyone out at the drop of a hat...and they have to tread extremely carefully....mirroring mls' public policy on media....its all a cartel in the usa

mcbride says us soccer is run like a business

ok take away its non profit status...or become transparent

if brooks is being frozen out for some reason....he is....

let the public know why

18. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This conspiracy theory crap is why you can’t post in N&A. Your median post isn’t good enough for there, and that’s why you’re relegated to here.

People who rely on conspiracy theories aren’t necessarily stupid, but by definition that can’t handle the complexity of reality so they rely on the simplicity of fairy tales.

RossD and jaykoz3 repped this.
  19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I believe the big issue with Brooks is that he does not take kindly to being a bench player. That will always be a sticking point at this point of his career.

RossD and gogorath repped this.
  20. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    That could be an attempt to protect the player as much as it could be anything else.

RossD repped this.
  21. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    My guess with Brooks is that it's the core group of players that had him exiled. If Pulisic went to Berhalter and told him to bring Brooks back it would happen. Pulisic can get whatever the hell he wants at this point. Whatever Brooks did, it was obviously considered more damaging to the team than having Pulisic take all corners and free kicks. So it must have been pretty damn bad.

adam tash repped this.
  22. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 adam tash, Jun 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    conspiracy???

ussf freezes out people who dont tow the line....they dont even hide it

they block access to any journalist who even slightly digs into what goes on behind the scenes.....and doesnt keep things disneyfied

its not a conspiracy ...its out in the open

youre either on their good side or persona non grata

look at wynalda, reyna, jones...anyone outspoken who speaks freely is ostracized

why do you think mcbride dodged ever pointed question in this interview???????????

why do you think mcbride was surprised at how much the business aspect trumps the technicalonce he got a peek behind the curtain? why should that even surprise him? unless they are hiding their true nature from public view?

why do you think the former players dempsey davies and edu ....were so in the dark about the things they asked him? why should we accept that ussf gets to operate behind a cloak of deception???

they are a public non-profit not the CIA

23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Except Joe Scally. Or Pulisic. Or Adams. Or Pepi. Or Gio, ffs.

Gosh, it seems the only person exiled was John Brooks.

RossD and gomichigan24 repped this.
  24. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    What?

Jermaine Jones was given a U19 coaching job with USSF and was helped by them towards getting his license. He left to take a head coaching job.

I can only assume you mean Claudio, who literally tried to blackmail the federation. We don't even know if he's blacklisted, but if so, seems about right. And yet, his son is A-ok.

25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok so you think its all meritocracy then? pffffffffffffft

idk why you cant just accept acnkowledge the fact that the ussf is a good ol boy network