Bretos does La Liga....

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Cantona, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Fox Sports World screws it up again....

they get one of the top leagues in the world
    and who do they get to do the commentary...
    a forth rate Bretos....

cmon Fox ... yes you get these leagues on the
    cheap... but lets invest in making these broadcasts
    exciting with a level of commentary that excites
    the true football fan... enough of this garbage
    of Bretos and Hopkins....

per some previous threads .. i hope they BOTH
    go to ESPN... I hope all the MLS heads enjoy them
    over Jack.... since I dont watch, i really dont care

maybe this will let Fox show feeds from SKY or
    their international feed....

I would rather pay for the broken-english
    commentary we had on PPV last season for La
    Liga than endure another cookie cut broadcast
    of Bretos and co with their impish jokes...

enough fox.. enough....
    get some class....

before it comes... ** eurosnob ** on...

Cantona---

2. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, I'm just happy that they carry La Liga now. Plus I like Bretos. He's so enthusiastic.

3. Jayhawk

Jayhawk New Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I miss the days when ESPN showed La Liga every Monday afternoon (and yes, I like most of ESPN's commentators, sue me). Here's a question, why doesn't some US television outlet pick up Serie friggin' A? Hasn't anyone thought that might be slightly more interesting than Argentina or Brasil or (dare I risk it) Scotland?

4. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why Serie A isn't on nationally. Luckily for me, they show live matches here on local TV every Sunday though.

5. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The International Channel carries a Serie A match on Sundays at 5 pm ET. They had Juventus x Atalanta today (2/16). I believe it's the same game that RAI International has earlier in the day, since that's the logo in the corner of the screen.

6. SportBoy321

SportBoy321 New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    New England
    I can't believe their are people out there who don't like Max's play by play. I practically idolize that guy. Oh well can't please everyone I guess. Keep up the great work Max don't listen to the critics.

7. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    The critics can go %$(^$() themselves. Bretos does a nice job and we are lucky even to have FSW.

8. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Bretos is the best that Fox has. Be thankful they are not subjecting you to Christian Miles or Allen Hopkins for La Liga.

9. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What is the big deal with Bretos? He seems to do a fine job, I think; he's really enthusiastic, witty and knowledgeable. What do you want, instead?

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Unbelievable. FSW shows La Liga, and people still find something to gripe about.

If it bothers you, turn the sound down and put on a CD or something.

That said, I still wish they'd use Toby Charles on their Bundesliga telecasts. But given a choice between one of the FSW house commentators or no Bundesliga, I'll take the FSW guys anytime.

11. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was GLAD to hear Mad Max doing the games. I will watch MORE of them because he is calling them. He is great.

Like the guy who wins the $50 million lottery and complains about the taxes.

Is he still doing them somewhere? I agree - he is fun to listen to - like a gently rolling stream.

12. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    I like Max. I'm dissapointed that they dropped the Eredivisie. But it's obvious that La Liga is the better and more popular league and it should be fun to watch this season. Remember what life was like before FSW? We are living in the age of enlightenment.

13. lazaro

lazaro New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    usa
    Max is the man. He knows the players, has a good feel for the league, and, unlike most US announcers, has a clue about foreign culture. Most importatnly, he enjoys the little stuff, like when that Mallorca guy tried to chip Caballero (the Celta keeper) from midfield and Caballero, upping the ante, chested it down rather than recognizing the quality of the attempt by catching it with his hands. Max was all over what happened, and loved it.

Do your thing, kid.

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Once or twice last year, FSW's audio wasn't ideal, and you could hear Toby in the background. Just like you can occasionally hear Spanish in the background of the Argentinian matches. I assume they get the audio feeds with the visuals, and sometimes they don't turn them down far enough when they do their voiceovers. It's pretty funny, because they'll occasionally pretend like the background noise is the commentator in the next booth.

15. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
  16. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Who was the guy who did the FSWE broadcasts of the Bundesliga last year? He was good and unlike the rest of the announcers he allowed silence on his part. Sometimes it's great just to hear the crowd.

17. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    I cannot agree with you more. I feel that I'm at an unlimited banquet after starving for many years.

18. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you see that 2nd goal by Celta yesterday. Increible!!

I was watching with the sound off however, so I couldn't hear Max' call.

Max must know more international players per square inch than just about anyone out there.

19. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Max did a great job. He certainly brings joy, life and enthusiasm back into the game IMO. I can't believe some people are being such a tight A@# about him.
    That was awesome. The funny about that match was after he (Jesuli) scored his second goal, he celebrated by hugging the fans and was sent off on a second bookable offence (his first caution was ironically for taking his shirt off on his first goal celebration). The referee was like Monty Python: "Awww, you're no fun anymore!!" :)

BTW Was it me but does the referee looked like Andy Kaufman.

20. sjjn

sjjn Member

Mar 29, 2002
    NYC
    I like Max and Hopkins, but no-one will ever call La Liga like Mike Hill and Eddie Mighten..those guys are my favorite announcing team.

Understanding + Understatement=a great call.

21. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ingrate.

22. RhinosBoy21

RhinosBoy21 New Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Rochester NY, but or
    I agree with Cantona, Max Bretos is an idiot and makes the game worse. Putting a CD and putting the TV on mute is just retarted.

Hes always late to call on plays, he mistakes players and he knows nothing about the clubs. Atleast a couple times a game hes speechless, he doesn't know what to say so the tv is silent anyways, I still watch, but the coverage could be better.

Amazingly enough, all Bretos supporters seem to be Americans, interesting...

23. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting how?

24. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Austin
    Oh, man, that is my favorite way to watch soccer on FSW! You just have to pick the right CD.

I guess I'm retarded (even though I know how to spell the word).

25. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    and i am sure you could do a much better job...

good grief, be happy we have it to watch.

think what life would be like without FSW.