Brener selling and re-brand?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by slycat, Sep 9, 2020.

1. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    to be fair, if they signed 2 winter stars, brought in a name brand coach, hired a good GM, acted like they cared, they'd win me and others back in a snap. in theory we don't entirely know where segal is headed. but thus far he has not held the old guard accountable, much less hired replacements whose seriousness could be evaluated, or redone the roster like he cares. the summer pickups were in line with cheap dynamo. all i can evaluate is what i see. but based on the summer and the same GM/HC are still in jobs, nothing objective to even start saying they are getting to the onramp for the right freeway towards the right direction. if anything it's gotten worse.

houston astros beginning of the last decade. gutted the payroll. people quit showing up. you then either head down the "move" or "fold" side roads or you get back on the "trying" freeway. chivas never got the fans back and is gone and replaced. the astros put their money where their mouth is, all is forgiven.

Ethos and quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  2. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    re the scarves, i think the AEG era team kind of tried but was conventional. i think this bunch just counts dollars and cents. ideally it would veer back AEG but more thoughtful about what they were doing and keeping in mind they're doing it in houston. scarves make sense in london. something else would fit houston.

kind of like in theory a 433 is entertaining but a team running around like chickens in this heat for 90' as your tactics is crazy, particularly when you spend less money and have less talent.

we have a lot of MF giveaways. we're trying to play high tempo keepaway with a bunch of hard hat players. it is no surprise they flub passes and create their own counters. if you want to knock it around you need dero and davis and holden.

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't see how Segal comes in and sees what is happening on and off the field and thinks its remotely acceptable. If he does, he's worse than Brener.

They've written off all of the previous season ticket holders while at the same time not apparently attracting new ones. I am sure that internally they are still blaming 2021 on COVID but just took at last nights "announced" attendance of 13,000 and then look in the seats and you see a club that is floundering in all areas.

Jordan and Ramos are not the answer. On the business side, my guess is they get another year.

Really want to know why Jamie Rootes left. Haven't seen anything on it.

4. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Almost assuredly, Roots left because either him or a member of his immediate family received an unwanted and horrible diagnosis from a doctor. I doubt any of us want to trade positions with him. Men like Roots don't take jobs and then leave in a month. Unless something bigger happened in his personal life. There is no drama here, just a personal tragedy that overshadows work.

5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on.
    Also recall that Rootes was the original GM for the Columbus Crew in the 90s. So when joining our MLS club he of course knew the path he was taking thus leaving so abruptly had to be something of his family or the like. I think we all have been there once in our lives, where life pulls the rug right out from under you.

Borrachin, Ethos and quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  6. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #431 TX Bill, Aug 23, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    I can assure you, no personal issues here. As I mentioned in my original post, I'm just a disinterested bystander now.

You make a good point about the baggage that Chivas USA had. I don't disagree relative to LAFC. Who's to say that we don't have similar baggage? I'm not saying it's the same situation. I'm saying MLS won't hesitate to make changes if they think it's necessary, regardless of the market.

I'd argue we're a small market team relative to other clubs that we'd consider small market.

Who do you think has the better pro soccer community? Portland or Houston? Kansas City or Houston? Sure, we have a bigger population but never confuse population with supportive community. It's why Atlanta took decades to get a pro team to stick. The jury is still out on Miami.

We certainly have a community here that's capable of supporting the club. The question is if they'll want to come out and support the club. The signs now say no, no they won't.

7. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Member

United States
    Jan 11, 2013
    Other than the NFL, Houstonians will not support a loser or even an average team. That’s been the case with the rockets and Astros for 5+ decades. Same with UH, after Phi Slama Jama they went to crap and drew 1/10th full stadium for decades, now they and winning and the fans are back.

If the Dynamo win, fans will be back. One thing I do worry about is the weather. They are the only pro team without A/C. Of course you only need the 18K actual fans in the stadium to have a really good environment. But they will need to win for multiple seasons to get back to regular respectable crowds. Does the new ownership have a the commitment to do that?

Ethos and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  8. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    One way to avoid that is to bring in a name, or....names, nah I'm wishing over here.

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #434 CeltTexan, Aug 24, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    There are other teams, schools for that matter, that Houstonians will support in good times or bad and that is college gridiron every Fall. Which our Houston Dynamo has to compete with on Saturdays in the Fall part of the MLS calendar. The devotion to SEC and Big XII athletics is significant and has a sway that is kin to how pro soccer clubs are followed abroad.
    Also, now that the fan base that really went long on welcoming AEG's relocation project to our city has been so thoroughly run down, run off, turned off or by now so pissed off with the way the club has been operated since 2012, getting a fan base back now that the productivity down on the field is shitastic even on a good night downtown at BBVA, the only thing that will work is massive investment from our new owner. Now that the past regime had no ideas, someone must start thinking! First need is a residential Academy set up.

10. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You turn out a winner and people will start coming back. See 2017 playoffs.

Widder and the NBA crew actively trying to kill long term season ticket holder interest didn’t help admittedly.

Still, if new ownership was to sack the existing FO, it would probably go a long way in mending fences. The rest is just investing in the club and getting a competitive team out there. Maybe a marquee signing to smooth ruffled feathers and make a statement.

TurdFerguson and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  11. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    Winning is more important than names. Ruidiaz and Carlos Gil aren’t names in world soccer but they are the best players in the league and on winning teams. The teams in New York had Henry, Villa and Pirlo and it never really pushed the needle in terms of extra interest for those teams.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  12. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    A couple years ago Garber mentioned fixing the situation in cities like Houston and Chicago. A new owner is really the only solution. New owners are heavily vetted by Garber and Co. If Garber was serious about fixing Houston then he would find an owner that was willing to step up and make serious moves in terms of the FO and coach. That means tossing Jordan by the end of the year. I hope sooner so you have a guy in place for the winter window. Make sure it is not another old school MLS guy and is either a rockstar in the league now or from say Europe like some of the big teams in the league went after.

Second you talk to Ramos and find out if he really got the support for buying players he needed or if these are his guys. If they are his guys and he is happy with the roster then he has to go.

Then you commit to truly funding and building the academy in the same vain as Dallas, Philly, Seattle, etc.

You create an identify the fans can get behind like Austin, Nashville, SKC, etc. Stop this marketing randomly to different sub groups. If you want to be a Latin team like Atlanta, then lean in hard. But maybe not eastern Europe like Chicago.

CeltTexan and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  13. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Historically, this team's idea of marquee and mine have been wildly different. Until we get a GM who appreciates the difference I wouldn't put much stock in that strategy.

quiznatodd_bidness and TX Bill repped this.
  14. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cubo Torres anyone?

15. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    As long as the league keeps making money and is getting no negative press related to the actions of our club - they won't give a rat's ass what happens here.

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #441 CeltTexan, Aug 25, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    Passing on the greatest soccer player from the great State of Texas anyone! Uff!!!
    Specifically when Dempsey returns to play in MLS after years of scoring goals in the EPL.
    With one goal a chip over Buffon to put Fulham into their very first UEFA regional Cup Final.

As much as I hate to say this, you are most likely more right than you know Ace.
    I mean look at FC Dallas and how bad they have run their operation in that strong soccer market! And they are an original 10 club from 1996. So if MLS HQ just lets that market flounder for 25 Seasons than the same appears in play for us and our market. Which makes one wonder, what if DFW and the Greater Houston Area were living up to the potential fan base and following in the community. We would be locked in to a terrific rivalry to see who could out do each other. But alas this is not happening and the fans speak with their wallets.

17. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The valuation is interesting because they really don't specify what goes into that evaluation.

I wonder if the valuation of the club includes what a potential new franchise would have to pay to get into the MLS which is reportedly now $325 million.

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think MLS will allow a team to be sold for less than an expansion fee - or allow a sale to impute a value below the expansion fee. RSL has still not been sold and that tells me it wouldn’t fetch more than the expansion fee

19. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically, MLS is the De Beers of soccer

Dynamo_Forever and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  20. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer: That oughta shut 'em up.

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Matt Jordan is gone.

https://www.houstondynamofc.com/new...dB7aL2R0B9NWTjM1-SZ7ViV5t7sD-nKPn_iU0dbIjvY_E

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why was he screwing around with architecture and design instead of finding players!

“In addition to his contributions in player personnel, Jordan had a central role in improving the Dynamo’s training facility at Houston Sports Park, including the construction of a new training pitch for the Dynamo first team and a series of improvements to the team locker room, coaches’ offices and Dynamo Academy coaches’ offices.”

*rey* repped this.
  23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jordan saw a need and was working on a solution Westie. The problem is that the even bigger need at our club is the lack of talent in our team's ranks and the man that should know this the best thought differently. Well, he is not going to have to work on either front from here on out. Done and dusted!

24. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    ElNaranja, CeltTexan and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    boy they really revolutionized the FO - how to rapidly degrade performance and alienate most of the fan base