Brener selling and re-brand?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by slycat, Sep 9, 2020.

1. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just disappointed that no-one asked how much veto power the minority owners will have over investment above the cap for the acquisition of players.

As we all know, AEG's Tim Leiweke said "Go Big", but it was Oscar and Gabriel who held it down. They're still minority owners and I would assume they would have to put in their fair share commensurate with their percentage ownership in any expenditures above league monopoly money.

I guess we'll see.

Borrachin and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  2. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I would feel way more confident if we got Golden Boy and Brener out. I'd settle for even getting Golden Boy out to be honest.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that’s part of “Hold it Down” - the spending on salary, which is why it is such a great slogan!!!

but yeah, I would have liked a specific question (I could probably be a better reporter than some of these guys) about salary commitment and how that works on the ownership side in terms of veto power. Not that they’d answer it directly but the vague “pledging resources” answer is meaningless.

I didn’t catch the whole press conference but what I saw was Garber and others trying to change the subject within every answer to avoid talking about Brener

4. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    That 03 game was my first pro game. The rest is history.

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  5. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As soon as they mentioned majority owner I scanned the internet for percentages for the same reasons you just mentioned. I just hope that this new owner is just test driving team and once he feels confident he buys them out specially if they don’t agree with him. They definitely need to be out, no question about it. I understand as an owner you should make money, but to make money you need to risk money. They have risked very little. You invest in better players, you win and that stadium makes money for you, period.

CeltTexan and Ethos repped this.
  6. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Brenner and De Lahoya have negatively impacted the teams value. Any gain was purely from osmosis from MLS as a whole. They deserve nothing as they have tried and risked virtually nothing.

Borrachin and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  7. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can anyone think of a time where a majority owner stepped down to a minority owner like Brenner has done? This has struck me as unique but I'm ignorant to how many times this may have happened before.
    Almost seems like they talked the "kid" into coming in and taking the arrows as they continue to be the influencers.

8. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    There’s been discussion in the past about Brener limiting spending, particularly in the AEG era and if that could be a factor in the new setup. The Striker interviewed Segal and he addressed that a little bit. (VA being Victor Araiza)

“VA: Gabriel Brener, Oscar De La Hoya, Ben Guill and James Harden are all staying as minority owners. I think in the past, there seems to be the worry that maybe they've had a say in nixing some player transfers, things of that nature? How much say do you have as far as the last word on operations and do any of those minority owners have veto powers over things like player transfers or any other decisions?

TS: I'm not going to get into the specifics of our partnership agreement. What I will say is I'm the ultimate deciding authority and I will further add, the league wants to have one deciding authority and so you're talking to him.“

The Striker Texas spoke one-on-one with new Houston Dynamo FC and Dash owner Ted Segal in an exclusive interview.
    https://www.thestrikertexas.com/2021/06/27/ted-segal-dynamo-dash-ownership-interview

NDS10 and Ethos repped this.
  9. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Well that is good news. He seems to really be asserting his control, I think that is a good thing.

CeltTexan repped this.
  10. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    A lot of this is mealy mouth corporate speak, but there are some things I'm happy to see:

1. That he actually links attendance and market relevancy to a winning team and not some weird marketing BS about creating social media experiences
    2. Capital improvements to the training facilities and stadium
    3. He's asked about how much rope he will give to the current technical staff and outright says that he wasn't sure they had adequate resources to compete in the past, states that he will give them those resources now and evaluate their performance
    4. Name dropping Philly for youth development which at least shows he has a passing knowledge of the league (average MLS fan has zero clue about that).

Point #3 is about as close an admission as we'll get to the team being chronically underfunded. I will watch closely for actions, but he is at least hitting the right notes.

7seven7, Dynamo_Forever, Ethos and 2 others repped this.
  11. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    yea #1 as an overall theme in his answers is good to see. #3 actually has me worried that we get another season of Matt Jordan but I could just be being overly pessimistic.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  12. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'd take #3 with a grain of salt because no one is going to come in and publicly put his staff on notice.

13. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    1410301307664146432 is not a valid tweet id

*rey* repped this.
  14. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020

1410300754070474753 is not a valid tweet id

1410300960090595331 is not a valid tweet id

1410303433198931979 is not a valid tweet id

*rey* repped this.
  15. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
  16. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    This is good, the absolute most cringe thing at BBVA is the cheap as hell "standing room only" section where they just took the fold down seats out.

17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our FO and Game Day Ops Staff ought to know about how Houston supporters role when backing our Dynamo players for 90 minutes, either remove the entire seats and benches or be warned what will happen if they do not.
    At our old Robertson when we told our FO to create a standing only section there in the first seasons they finally came around to understanding. Hahaha!!!
    The Hinchada after beating Dallas 11.02.2007.jpg

18. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    *rey* repped this.
  19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rootes announcement is very strange because it says he’s stepping down as CEO and a leave of absence and will come back as a consultant, which are three things completely different from each other. Generally speaking for taking a leave of absence you’re coming back same position or equivalent

CeltTexan and nbrooks503 repped this.
  21. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, just when I thought our ship was turning around with a new owner and a new leader at our FO. I sure trust him and his family are ok!

22. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  23. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    What's happening to the season ticket-holders in Sections 234, 235, and 236? Pay up for the new seating arrangement or move? Also looks like it will hold fewer seats.

Four of my eight years as a season ticket-holder were in Section 235, along the aisle with Section 236. Under the awning, and filled with fun people. Sad to see it change.

24. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Lol, I'm probably going to move my tickets over there for the lame table and food option. Different strokes.

25. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I mean it is probably a nice spot but just frustrated my preferred spot is gone. Guess I know how others that sat on the other end felt when they moved the Supporters Section.

Ethos repped this.