PBP: Brenden Aaronson, Tyler Adams, Weston McKennie, All Games

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by thedukeofsoccer, Dec 9, 2020.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marsch went from grossly over-playing Aaronson like he was his son, to under-playing him because he was in need of a timeout.

He's still an x-factor off the bench when you need a result, at least. He was top 10 in the league in chances created most of the season. And he's harder to push off the ball when he's the fresh 1.

nthemsum repped this.
  2. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Bamford has been poor today. Their passing overall just isn’t that great.

No Aaronson but maybe he needs a bit of a wake up.

3. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    I really don’t like this style. A million miles an hour all the time, guys getting in each other’s way, almost blindly knocking it forward at times. Granted I only tuned this on at the half, so maybe I missed a great first half by Leeds, but I don’t see any domination. Marsch better not keep speaking about how well they are playing.

russ repped this.
  4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leeds are out of ideas w/ 5 minutes to play. At least 3 golden chances to score... and nothing. That will likely be the difference. You can't waste chances like that.

5. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    NF players falling to ground all over the place, getting it called every time. Refs are happy to help the time wasting.

Leeds and Jesse are in trouble. I keep hoping the ship will get righted, but fact is Leeds are a relegation contender. 2 games vs Man United coming up. Luck
    Will be needed

6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the nat'l team, Musah is the link man in CM, not Wes. If he came in, I'd have thought it'd be for Harrison, with Roca in to give Adams a helping hand. They've especially needed it since they're the ones playing w/ the ball. Maybe this works better v. Man U when they're w/out.

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  7. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    For what it's worth I watched 6 months of this when Aaronson first went to Salzburg - it was exactly the same thing. It has always been best described as chaos. It worked in Salzburg because of the talent discrepancy but even then it as never as pretty or easy as it should have been.

So for me it's easy to tell who has watched a (post NY at least) Marsch coached team based on how surprised they seem to be by Leeds poor tactics.

aeschylusdanceparty repped this.
  8. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I really don’t think Aaronson is built for the premier league. He moves a lot and expends a tremendous amount of energy but it’s mostly waisted.

Leeds need to get out of the scoring drought they are in. Marsh needs to figure this out. The team is talented enough to move up the table.

9. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Cooper is MOTM. Completely anticipated changes and brought on Coleback who’s been disruptive. A step ahead of Marsch today.

McKennie looks like he hasn’t played CM or DM in awhile.

Also, not sure Roca needed to come out…

10. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    The McKennie signing smells to me like someone called up Jesse/Orta and was like "You want McKennie? He's available on loan" and they were like "Sure! Why not!"

He can be a good body in midfield but I don't see what problem he actually solves for leeds...

ChrisSSBB, neems and thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  11. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    I don't mind him getting a rest, and having so many minutes in the PL already is great experience and I hope he spends time in the gym this off season.

But yeah, he thrives in space and on the turn and that stuff is so much less common in England, especially on a relegation type of team like Leeds...

12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really think this is an overreaction. He was good (top 10 in chances created) up until the WC break. And he hasn't come back the same. That's likely a break in his confidence and rhythm. He was making quicker decisions beforehand. The lack of physicality is always going to be a problem. But that's mitigated out wide. Pulisic gets pushed around too.

We can have a nuanced and big picture perspective about a player. Not just live in the movement and be dismissive about all their abilities, when the kid clearly has some notable strengths, which he's displayed in all competitions for extended periods.

superdave repped this.
  13. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    I agree but it’s not great that Marsch decided to have Aaronson more central, sort of negating all his strengths. I don’t see it with Marsch at all.

superdave repped this.
  14. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    It's also all about centimeters sometimes. He had some really nice almost assists early in the season. Bamford would miss, Sinisterra would miss. He had that great dribble and shot off the crossbar again Crystal Palace (that Strujk) tapped in. So many little instances of if the ball bounced the other way, he would have more stats that mattered, more confidence, and more lee way to work through a slump.

But that's how it works at the highest levels.

15. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely feels like a road game in San Jose, Costa Rica

RecLeague Super Sub repped this.
  16. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Man, can Leeds bring Raphina back? That’s who they really miss. They are so dire in attack.
    Losing to this NF team is killer, and Jessie back on the hot seat, I can assure you. Rightfully so, unfortunately.

you cannot pin this loss on one player, but man, that shocking foul and poor header from Struyk in the span of a minute was devastating.

mattjens repped this.
  17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, Marsch is the first one he decided to play him out wide with regularity, when people like myself had been calling for it when he was w/ Philly. So he could have that epiphany again.

It's just tougher now that Leeds decided to over-buy players with a wide attacker profile, to the point Jesse's even pushing Jack Harrison inside now. It's a miscast for both.

JUnionFan repped this.
  18. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Jesses days are numbered that was just crap

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a waste of 2 hours. Why did I think it was going to be something different from Leeds? Stupid me.

RecLeague Super Sub repped this.
  20. RedBaron

RedBaron Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McKennie should have been on from the start. I get he has looked off the pace, but the stature he has…or is presumed to have…is part of the reason he is there. You need to send a message to your team that we are operating differently now and I’m not going to sit a World Cup starter even if it might not be the most harmonious move from the outset.

21. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    That pass by #6 behind the other guy is an example of their game today; poor passing.

22. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Man, I know this is the wrong thread for this, but I can’t believe some people want Jesse for the national team.
    Rooting for him, but no thanks.

neems, aeschylusdanceparty and JUnionFan repped this.
  23. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Marsch versus Dyche and Moyes for the next few months.

24. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Unless Leeds beat Manu twice next week I'd say this is JM's last week as manager of Leeds.

25. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best player from Concacaf in all history.

Huge career and still a difference maker.

freisland, Suyuntuy and neems repped this.