Brenden Aaronson at Union Berlin (olf Leeds)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ShaftBrewer, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends. Some countries consider a long-term relationship equal to a marriage. It's also quite possible they have a grandparent or other relatives with EU citizenship.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Clubs have lawyers to take care of such things. Laws are quite flexible, everywhere.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    but can she show German proficiency? Maybe she adopted him!

Of course, now she'll need a whole nother batch of paperwork for that Angle-land place.

4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Civil and registered partnerships. Same rights as a spouse.

More paperwork.

Brenden would simply have an attorney referred by the club handle that.

This is somewhat of a non-issue for a millionaire footballer with plenty in the bank- which matters.

5. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4130 mattjo, Jun 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
    Technically, Germany no longer provides new civil partnerships (as of September 30, 2017). It existed previously for same sex couples, but with the legalization of same sex marriage in 2017, it became superfluous. Previously existing partnerships continue to hold that status, but new partnerships do not. The laws of this (including within the European Union) vary greatly nation to nation. That said, I am sure the club has staff familiar with these situations and able to help pursue different visa options.

dark knight repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they living together?

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I would think at her age, given she's recently been a college student that getting some sort of study-abroad visa would be incredibly easy if she/they had any concerns at all. All of my kids did 6 months in Europe and you simply need to be registered in a Euro institution and it's fast and easy and no one really checks - and Europe has loads of cheap grad programs you could register for that would cost less than opening the door to a law office anywhere. But again, if the back to Leeds reports are correct, she'll have a different issue now.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    More practice, sure; the right practice? I'm not so sure. I'll believe it when I see it.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Obviously, I got no idea. But if you're not getting the ball off your foot into dangerous spots in the goal in the Bund, you have a better chance you might do it in the Champs. Whether the slower defenders and keepers will provide room for BA to improve, we shall see.

10. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    She could also just be going on a tourist visa and leaving for one day every 90 - 180 days. For example, a day trip (overnight) to Croatia or Romania (or UK these days) would take her out of the Schengen zone and reset her visa.

edit: I see now that the SME @BostonRed already raised this option.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I thought you could only stay 90 days in a 180 period if you were on a US tourist visa? Maybe I have it wrong, but my understanding is you needed to apply for an actual visa if you were staying more than 90 in 180. Of course, the actual enforcement for American tourists is likely less than stringent, even if I'm right, but I am interested to know the real rules if anyone knows.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do we know she's been living in Germany?

13. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    It’s all very fascinating and only slightly creepy - but let’s move on from wag visas. Someone can open a thread in YA FFA.

majspike and tomásbernal repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, her dad is a retired college soccer coach and member of the US Futsal team with the last name "D'Ambra." There's a better than 50% chance she has an Italian passport.

tomásbernal repped this.
  15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of 16 years ago (I know, not exactly recent), I tried to go into Andorra in hopes of extending my visa and the answer was "If you stay here for one day, you'll get one more day of EU visa".

freisland repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20+ years ago, I spent some time in Amsterdam recruiting for an American company. I was looking for someone in Germany and found an American who worked there. He said he left every 90 days to reset his visa. I told him that probably wasn't legal (not so much the 90 days thing -- though that was super sketchy, but working for pay in Germany without a work visa), but he stubbornly insisted. I didn't pursue him any further.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Not to mention it's moot if BA goes to Leeds. I still can't quite imagine trading Berlin and the Bundesliga for Yorkshire and Championship, but it ain't my life so... hope it works out great for BA.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  18. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Yeah, I couldn’t remember which one it was. I knew it was one or the other.

freisland repped this.
  19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    True that, but only if he stays and the financials you referenced are going to make that challenging for Leeds' FO.

It's more than likely that he's loaned out again IMO, especially if someone offers to cover more than the traditional 50-50 split of the salary

20. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I thought it was a for sure thing that BA was going to be with Leeds this coming season? Or, was it that BA said he wanted to return to Leeds (because he felt he had unfinished business with them) but Leeds haven’t said they want BA back? I’m confused what’s his real situation…?

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leeds United, knowing the city is a bit of a shythole, built their training center in a beautiful town on the border with scenic North Yorkshire.

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Leeds own BA so unless an offer comes in, they pay his salary. It is not really possible that they just tell him to take a hike

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Like @Bruce S said, Aaronson is under contract with Leeds United (until 2027) so they're obliged to pay him whatever is due under his contract. Absent a buyout clause, he can't leave unless Leeds agree to sell him and they can't sell him unless he agrees to the move and the new contract aka "personal terms".

In April "sources" reported that they'd let him go for a steal at 12 million, but he proceeded to have a very strong finish to the season, playing an important part in Union escaping relegation with an assist in the final day victory that kept them up. He's now somewhat in demand, with Berlin wanting him back and the Post reporting other clubs being interested.

Most likely is that they've either had second thoughts about letting him go, probably with Farke wanting to have a look at him in training before they decide on sales, or because they want to wait and see who comes forward and what they offer over the summer.

24. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks @Bruce S and @The Irish Rover for your replies. My confusion comes in the sense that based on a BA quote, it sounded like he was definitely going back to Leeds this coming season, even if offers from other clubs came through. So let’s say a lower/mid table Bundesliga club said they would pay BA’s entire salary for a one year loan, if BA doesn’t want to go, can Leeds make him go - or - can he be with Leeds as his quote says (“unfinished business, want to help Leeds get back to PL)?

25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Officially no, functionally yes. The threat of training with the U21s in perpetuity can change a player's mind pretty quickly.