brek shea

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Maximum Optimal, Jun 26, 2011.

1. DaMa

DaMa Member

Jun 17, 2002
    New York
    Seems like Shea fits pretty naturally on the left side of the 4-2-3-1 that Bradley has been moving towards. Would have been useful to have him as an option over Klejstan.

2. iceberg602

iceberg602 Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Haters gonna hate; ballers gonna ball.

Like the tat on his left leg... BELIEVE.

I wasn't a believer until mid last year when he proved (to me) he in fact had the talent/POTENTIAL.

Now he's making good on all that potential and doing his thing!

He deserves another shot with the nats at:

LM 1st
    LB 2nd
    CB never

3. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. My point was that it may be premature to question a young player like Shea's commitment, grit, will, etc.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Right now there's literally no way Brek gets moved back to defense for FCD.

At the start of the year they gave him a run out in defense due to a series of injuries (John & Ihemelu had off-season surgery, Loyd had a minor knock, Kyle Davies could never stay healthy, etc.) and suspension (Jair Benitez for some sort of "spit gate.") It was partly out of necessity, and partly to see if he could play there. He probably could if given enough time.

If they moved him back to defense, I have no idea who they'd have take his place at LM. Maybe if they had any actual forwards on their roster, they could move Chavez over there. They've tried Avila over there, but he was just OK.

People argue about Brek all the time because he's such a colossal freak of nature. A 6'4" winger with great speed. He's a matchup nightmare for MLS clubs. At the international level........who knows? But if he keeps playing this way I don't see how he won't be given more opportunities before WCQ begins.

I mean............taking Robbie Rogers over Brek Shea to the Gold Cup was a bit laughable. I know Robbie wasn't having a bad year in the league. But at the moment you could make a somewhat serious case that Brek Shea is the MVP of the league. Dallas is the best team in MLS on a points per game basis, and Brek's been the best offensive player on the squad throughout the whole season. He's consistently really, really good.

5. Susaeta

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than that, he is pretty quick. I watched him closely in Portland and since. He consistently gets separation from his defender with just a few steps. Guys could not stick with him, and quick guys have a hard time shaking him. Doing that at 6'4" is what I find unnatural.

6. iceberg602

iceberg602 Member

Jul 23, 2010
    He's a horse, he fixed his touch, and he's got his shot under control.
    In short, He's ballin'!! ...and right on time as Dallas really needed him to step it up.

Shea had to have been under a lot of pressure this year to make good on his promise. He's doing it and doing it well.

FCD has got to be title favorites at this point....and without David Ferreira.

Crazy

7. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, so he has seemed out of his element in his limited exposures to the national team. In your opinion, what is he missing?

8. Susaeta

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I think it is early to say. There is a big step up in the speed of play in international soccer in general, but the jump from offseason MLS to international soccer is huge.

So what is he missing? I think some experience. A few games from now we can talk about whether he can cut it overall, and if he can, the parts of the game he will need to refine.

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missing? He only played one game and that was with the three headed dmid alignment (Bradley, Jones, Edu). Holden looked poor on the other side as well. I like to see players for several games but they don't always get that time. Shea should because of the size and speed. Most who don't are lacking somehow physically and the coaches don't give those types as much of a look. Let's see how he looks on the U23 Olympic team. A lot of those guys may jump en mass to the senior squad after that's over.

10. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He actually has played in two. While he was not necessarily all that great [but not deserving of the scorn he received, imho] versus Colombia, I thought he looked pretty good against Chile until he was removed.

11. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that this is the best path for Shea. A slow path with small steps.

I think he'd be a prime candidate for call-ups against CONCACAF minnow-types. He's the type of player who needs to build confidence. He could get in those matches and be an offensive weapon.

12. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There never was a problem with his touch or with his shot.

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a little tougher to predict where Brek will play for the NT than it is with other players. Potentially, how many positions could he play? I think he's changed the minds of many this past year, and has become more versatile than most thought he would. What's to say he doesn't make another huge leap next year, or the year after? For all we know at 25 his best position could be striker.

What will also have an affect on where he plays for the NT is where his future Euro club puts him. I would think he might move to Europe in the Jan transfer window. He still has a lot of developing to do, and his ceiling appears to be getting higher. Where his Euro team puts him, and if he succeeds at that position, and therefor the time spent playing that position, will help determine where he plays for us. Although, Bob loves playing guys out of position, so who knows if Bob is still coach in 2014.

When do you guys think he'll move abroad?

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keeper? He's tall :D

15. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    He just signed a four year contract extension, so unless FC Dallas gets PAID, he isn't going anywhere.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    For all we know there's all sorts of things built into that new contract, like a minimum fee release clause, etc.

If he keeps playing like he is right now..........FC Dallas will get PAID.

Brek Shea is only 21, and is arguably an MVP candidate right now. If he keeps playing like this, the offers are going to start rolling in. Now MLS/FCD can tell suitors to "take a hike," but at some point the right offer will be there. MLS rejected offers for Dempsey, Beasley, etc. before the right one appeared.

17. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

Everyone is freaking out that thrêe years before the next WC and only one year after the last one, that we have hit bottom. But, they forget that we have a ton of young talent out there and that often thrêe years out you have no way of knowing, who will pan out and who will become a star. Back in 2007, no one had any clue that Stu Holden would be Bolton's best player.... that Dempsey would turn into one of the best midfielders in the EPL, etc. etc.

For my money, Shea is starting to lơok like the real deal. If he kêeps playing like this, he will be in Europe within 2 years, and a key member of our national team.

18. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Yes, we actually have quite a bit of young talent in the pipeline. Here's a list of players who will be ages 20-26 come the 2014 WC: Bradley (26), Torres (26), Ream (26), Adu (25), Gonzalez (25), Lichaj (25), Shea (24), Altidore (24), Chandler (24), Mix (23), Okugo (23), Boss (22), Gatt (22), Valentin (22), Lletget (21), Agudelo (21), Hurzeler (21), Brooks (21), Wood (21), Salgado (20).

Not all will develop, but I think what is in the pipeline is pretty impressive. We just need some patience and a sense of perspective.

19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    It's proof he's much further along in his career than Dempsey was at his age. If he keeps working hard its not impossible to think he may have a higher ceiling than Dempsey.

And MLS is better now than it was IMO.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    The fact that we have more players going pro younger is much better for our NT. Guys like Altidore, Shea, Adu, Bradley etc. didnt waste time in college. Agudelo, Boss, Ruelas, Doyle, etc. arent in College. They're playing meaningful games and training with better players than are in the college system.

Dont get me wrong, the college system is very important. But the cream of the crop should avoid it if possible.

20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Use the smiley face its there for a reason. I respectfully disagree that its proof he is further along. Apples and Orange. You are right it is not impossible to think he may have a higher ceiling and it is not impossible to think he may not. Dempsey's touch and ball skills is what makes him better in my opinion, Shea to me is a European left back and will struggle with the higher speed of play and smaller spaces with his ball skills. Interesting to watch though. They're just opinions on the internet.

21. NatsTeamFan

NatsTeamFan Member

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    From watching whenever I can, I would say his ball skills are by and far above par. It was actually one of the things that impressed me about him, he has great control for his size. Not to mention his shot.

1 person likes this.
  22. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. He has a consistently good first touch, and he consistently makes cheeky quick and thoughtful passes. He's a really good passer.

He has been growing in confidence and taking players on more this year too. I saw him roast a few guys over the past few weeks. He's an attacking player for certain, but he is more than willing to track back.

Its just a maturation deal with Brek at this point and an issue of...how good does he want to be? How much work is he willing to put in? Is he becoming focused on being great? The sky is the limit for him. He could be a left-footed LD-style player in 2014 and 2018. I don't think there's any doubt that he's one of the top couple of young prospects on the radar. He has a high ceiling.

Go get it, Brek. The world is your oyster.

23. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Said it before, but with his height and running style, he reminds me a little bit of Zlatan Ibrahimovic. But I'll wait until he scores a few like this before I get too carried away:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgqsaDnsEq8"]‪Zlatan Ibrahimovic Goal for Ajax‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I didn't expect much from Shea after his poor performances in the USA shirt. I'm glad he's having a good season. Hopefully it will translate to USMNT.

24. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I agree that this is the biggest improvement in his game - the confidence and improved technical ability to take players on. There's also a mental component as far as slowing down instead of playing in a rush like he did somewhat in prior seasons (as young players tend to do).

Now, if he looks up and sees only one player in front of him (sometimes two), his eyes light up as he accelerates to take them on. This trait is something that the USMNT (and MLS) has been lacking since the DMB days.

While I imagine the Ibra comparision is flattering, I think Brek would end up as more of a Gareth Bale style of player. He can fly up and down the wing, sends in a mix of early crosses and cutback balls from the end line and will cut inside to his right to keep defenders honest.

No doubt a very exciting prospect and feel fortunate to have the opp to see him play in person so often.

25. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only concern with Shea is he needs to learn to think the game more quickly. The problem with his USMNT caps is that the game has moved too fast for him.