Breakout US Youth Players in the MLS [2021 Edition]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by glutton4Bolts, Apr 15, 2021.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Do you realize that 5 is a real number, while 1.1 is a pigment of imagination? Like a total nonsense? Everybody knows that 2+3 in 3 games is unsustainable and no one expects that rate to last. But for now it's 2+3, and 1.1 doesn't exist.

dams repped this.
  2. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    ...and the discussion comes full circle. A new page in the forum, and an opportunity for the debate to start anew. The cycle of bigsoccer life.

Mahtzo1, FTGOTC, deejay and 1 other person repped this.
  3. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    And, hopefully, he keeps working on his game. My guess is that he has a Dempsey-like woodshed mentality. Dempsey just kept getting better and better until his body gave out. (Jozy, too, but imo, Jozy was encouraged to bulk up so much, it created limitations) My guess is that DD is a guy that is always going to be expanding his skillset.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  4. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    My initial reaction was that he took a whack and kinda got lucky. But, wow, he really adjusted his body to strike the ball. He knew what he was doing. Insane is a good description.

Bajoro and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Dude, it's just an average. People use, and misuse, averages all the time in real life but for the most part we don't throw away the concept of an average or a baseline. Smart people won't suddenly stop actually looking at the plays. Relax a bit. Math is a tool not the murder weapon of our global passtime.

FTGOTC and gogorath repped this.
  6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    By the way, talking about the eye test. I think Caden is the more intriguing prospect. The sheer audacity and range of his technique is mouthwatering.

theboogeyman and TurdFerguson repped this.
  7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Sorry, I don't understand what you say.

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there's no need to bring race into this

9. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible color commentary. Not as bad as the guys DC has for announcers, but still bad. Thank goodness I only had to suffer through one “IT’S IN THE NET!” last game.

deejay repped this.
  10. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Member

United States
    Jan 11, 2013
    Hopefully more like Bale less like Brek

11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Sorry, I meant pig mint.

12. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot to add the wink after the first pun. My b.

13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1389033836739182592 is not a valid tweet id

Any guesses?

14. slider4CU

slider4CU Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    Apr 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5mil

15. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    This is impossible to say. Szoboszlai was sold for 20 million euros from Peter to Paul (Salzburg-Leipzig) in the last transfer window. What is Paul supposed to Peter for Caden Clark? Not sure, but whatever it is it isn't determined by market forces.

So the question is about Cowell. I really hesitate to venture a guess. What did Reynolds go for? $9-10 million? I guess if I were running Man U, I would pay more for Cowell. So I would say summer transfer window 2022 for more than Reynolds.

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    The Clark transfer number is just kind of pointless as it is in house.

It certainly seems like Cowell could be over $10M -- but the sell on clauses complicate that as well.

theboogeyman and xbhaskarx repped this.
  18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes the RB discount makes it hard to compare the two...

Transfermarkt has Clark at $3.3 million (23rd here, and Cowell outside the top 23 altogether), but that appears to be a result of the reported number.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm MLS owners I'm looking into RB sales figures as it's not completely in house as all teams are league owned with an operator. Check into recent RBS to RBL transfers and make sure RBNY to RBL or RBS are similar.

onefineesq and Winoman repped this.
  20. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    If their stats are more in line with Almiron’s, then I’d say they should go for 17 million or more individually. If they produce more like Aaronson, I’d say they should go for 10-15 million.

Clark’s price will be much lower than market value, though.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah, its Red Bull moving figures around on a spreadsheet. They can send $50 million over to New York for infrastructure, academy, etc., any time they want.

NYRB will maximize the amount of money they can use for allocation to improve the existing roster. After that its gravy.

Caden Clark wouldn't be with NYRB in the first place if it weren't for the pathway to Leipzig.

I suspect that the deal will be 2-3 million up front, but there will be a hefty sell-on transfer clause. Kinda like the Chris Richards deal to Bayern Munich. That was below market value too. The real money will roll in with the sell-on clause.

We do have to keep in mind that the Clark fee, etc. was agreed upon before he'd done a lot. Just like Richards, who hadn't played a game in MLS yet. The same can be said of Joe Scally of NYCFC. This is just good, proactive scouting and recruiting of the North American market by the Red Bull organization. The recruited him away from Barca AZ, traded for his MLS rights from Minnesota, and then proactively put him on a path to Leipzig. If this works like they want it to, NYRB will be able to recruit additional youngsters to their academy this way.

50/50 Ball and Patrick167 repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    As far as Cowell goes, who the hell knows?
    Reynolds' fee kept increasing and increasing due to competition for his signature amongst the biggest clubs in Europe.

This isn't coming out of nowhere. Let's not forget that Berhalter has already called Cowell up to a USMNT camp.

Sealy too. Anybody remember when there was a U20 camp happening the same time as USMNT camp? Berhalter was so impressed by Sealy that he moved him over to train with the full USMNT. As the son of a T&T international, he's one we need to be aggressive with if we want him.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  23. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Clark is already sold, and there is no reason for it to be more than $3 MM. So, if Cowell is sold, he might go for Aaronson at the top end. So, $10 MM combined? But has SJ ever sold anyone?

24. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I mean, why?

While a higher fee sets a precedent for the market, MLS owners already have Aaronson, Reynolds and others. It's not quite the same value as it would have been a few years ago.

There's a small amount of money the league gets, but it is literally $50k for every $1M, or roughly $2k per team ... so even going for $10M more is only $20k per team.

The other owners will certainly appreciate the desire to avoid taxes, etc., keep league revenues down for the player negotiations and respect ownership privacy as they will think they may need it someday.

It's just not that important.

25. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I don't think MLS has any direct stake in this in the current structure. MLS as a single entity already extorted $300-400K in GAM, maybe more, simply because Clark was born near Minnesota. If MLS is unhappy that Leipzig is getting a discount, do they then force Minnesota to return their ransom?

RBS to RBL transfers are done to maximize FFP benefit on either side most likely. RBNY to RBS/RBL are done to minimize FFP hit and maximize MLS value. That comes in around $3 MM. If MLS wants them to pay more (they own his MLS rights already), they should increase the benefit of selling him.