Breakout US Youth Nationals in the MLS for 2020

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by glutton4Bolts, Feb 21, 2020.

1. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the start of the season just around the corner and CONCACAF Champions League already under way I thought it would be nice to list some of the US Youth National Team players that could break out for their respective MLS clubs this season. Here are a few I have my eyes on... What about you?

Araujo - RB (Galaxy): He flashed in the friendly against Toronto. The Galaxy is my de facto MLS Team... so I am eager to see him succeed for more than one reason.

Bassett - CM (Rapids): I didn't really pay attention to him last season.

Ferreira - CF (Dallas): We are terribly thin at striker on the USMNT.

Busio - CM (KC): We have a ton of options at attacking midfield on the USMNT and on the youth teams. Where does he fit in?

Toye - CF (Minnesota): Same as Ferreira.

McKenzie - CD (Philly): Might be an even worse position for the USMNT than striker.

Pomykal - M (Dallas): You could argue he has already broken out but I am looking for a lot more w/ respect to scoring stats this season.

Leyva - CDM (Seattle): Saw him for the first time last night in the CONCACAF CL match. Looked pretty good.

Pepi - CF (Dallas): Does he have the pace to be effective moving forward?

2. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    id say pomykal and (to a lesser degree) toye "broke out" last season. servania and sands are two who seem to be set as full time starters. a dark horse could be jaylen lindsey.

3. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    Bender for Orlando. Signed his HG contract this yr at 18. If he can get some playing time he has the physical abilities and skills to breakthrough.

4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaronson - Same argument can be made about him. He "broke out" last season, but needs to show more end product.

One to watch, Jack De Vries - Philly. Signed a HG deal this past offseason, Philly doesn't have a lot of depth at attacking mid/striker, so he may see some minutes with the first team as the season goes on. He'll definitely be getting a lot of minutes in USL. He had interest from European teams prior to signing his HG deal.

5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Europe is large.

6. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  7. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    James Sands is the answer.

Paul Berry and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  8. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Brandon Servania

9. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    What is the criteria for "breakout"? Most of those mentioned in the original list have more than 1k minutes last year. Others had less than 1k minutes but were semi-regulars by the end of the year. Is it MLS time, national team callup(s) or something else?

I personally would be in favor of a breakout based primarily on earning a spot and a separate "sophmore" category of some type that guys like Aronson, Pomykal etc would be eligible for. (basically anyone that broke through last year in minutes) The main criteria would be taking the next step. Who's sophmore step is largest/most significant in becoming a true difference maker? Pomykal scoring goals and assists, Aronson with that final product etc.

tomásbernal repped this.
  10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So oddly after all the news on Tessman from posters yesterday there's still no official news on him being signed. I'd say if he is signed he has a small chance to break out because so many of his midfield teammates are starting the year injured and might receive callups to various national teams.

11. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    #11 Maximum Optimal, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Breaking out for an MLS player can be defined in various ways.

At one end is the softest kind of breakout: doing well enough to get an invite to Camp Cupcake.

At the other end is the most exacting kind of breakout: putting yourself in position for a Tyler Adams type transfer to a strong team in a strong league.

In terms of the latter, Pomykal would be my guy.

There are also intermediate level types of breakout. Doing well enough to rate callups to the Nats beyond Camp Cupcake. Players like Morris, Long and Arriola come to mind. And in the past year, Cannon and Yuiell have established themselves this way. This sort of breakout is a bit of a two-step process. Step 1 is performance in MLS. Step 2 is showing enough with the Nats to warrant more callups.

So who might be next for this intermediate type breakout. Well I already mentioned Pomykal. He would be at the head of this list for me too. Miles Robinson would be another one. Maybe Aronson and Ferreira. But the top two for me would be Pomykal and Miles Robinson.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It sure seems like everybody is now announcing this other than FCD :)
    As we know, they make a big deal of these HG signings. Probably preparing a social media blitz as we speak. And Tanner is certainly a potential "breakout" in MLS this season. Won the "Golden Ball" as the best player of the Development Academy playoffs last year. FCD has a glut of young American midfielders, and it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out (Pomykal, Servania, Cerrillo, Tessman, Roberts............not to mention Ferreira sometimes plays as a #10).

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Becoming one of the best players for a given position in the league.

DHC1 repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If you ask 10 FCD academy watchers to describe Tessman, you'll get 10 different answers. I've seen him play virtually every position on the field.

I think of him as a deep lying playmaker. You wouldn't really describe Pomykal, Roberts, Servania, or Cerrillo in that manner. So he sorta has a different skill set. With Pomykal and Servania likely getting plenty of international callups this year (to the U23s and maybe USMNT), and Acosta getting Honduras callups.................there's an opening for playing time in 2020. Of course both he and Roberts are likely callups to the U20s.

I also would not be shocked if Tanner is loaned to Bayern Munich via their development collaboration (like they did with Chris Richards).

15. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played the full 90 in the CONCACAF CL Game yesterday. Looked good.

He is a bit older and has already appeared for the USMNT... so perhaps not a valid candidate... but Brooks Lennon looked very good for Atlanta in the CL game playing right winger. He has a very good cross, passes well and hustles back on D. I also thought his aerial wins in the last CL game were admirable.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  16. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously... The Galaxy may be my de facto MLS Team due to proximity... but my eyes will literally be glued to every FC Dallas game this season. I love what they are doing there. Look at those names!

RalleeMonkey and USSoccerNova repped this.
  17. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh my gosh, you nerds- we dont need an exhaustive discussion on what "breakout" means. pretend you like having fun and name a kid whos gonna do good, poindexter...

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Skip Bayless voice on] Andrew Carleton broke out of Atlanta jail! [Skip Bayless voice off] I'm having fun with a Skip shot (pretend you hear a basketball buzzer going off loudly in your ear.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1233063612308168704 is not a valid tweet id

IndividualEleven repped this.
  20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Really like Miles Robinson, but isn't he too old for the subject?

21. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Never too old to break out if you ask me.

But there are different categories within this thread.

There are players who will be receiving their first significant MLS minutes this season. That's been an exciting group to follow in recent years.

Then older guys like Miles Robinson. Technically he is still a "Youth National Team" player since he is age eligible for the Olympics and Olympic qualifying.

And I want to add even older guys can break out. It is rare but not unknown for a player to improve significantly in his late twenties or even thirties. Sometimes late bloomers of that sort end up being significant national team players.

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I guess Lovitz and Trapp had mighty fine years in 2019.....ducking..

23. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Age before beauty.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    2018 MLS Young Breakout Player: Tyler Adams
    2019 MLS Young Breakout Player: Miles Robinson

25. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta