Breaking news: Chicago says the fax is broken

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by taylor, Dec 12, 2005.

1. gooranje

gooranje Member

Nov 16, 2005
    SLC - GO RSL! USMNT
    Look, it wasn't a rumor - it came right from the horses mouth. I called in yesterday afternoon as was told, twice, that the fax was down and that they were not accepting any more faxes on the alternate line. The lady also told me that they were recommending that everyone overnite the thing. I asked her point blank- "So the only way to do is to overnite it" - and she said "yes." So jokes on me, I guess. I overnited it when I would have tried faxing through the night, had I not had this conversation with a representitive of US Soccer. Now, I'm likely screwed because of it! :mad:

2. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amy obviously has her act together!

:D

3. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too too precious. What should we believe, the USSF "rules"? The USSF FAQs that we all spent hours agonizing over to be sure that we did the right thing?

It's one thing to screw up, another not to have the guts to admit it.

4. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Well, she did say "Don't blame me" when I told her that her name had been mentioned on these boards!
    Think happy thoughts! Think happy thoughts!

5. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you mean it was working after hours for the East Coast, work hours for the West Coast?

That's absolute ****************.

It's also incomprehensible that they keep on saying "hey send it your application, we'll take it." when there is practically zero chance of being anything but application #200 on the waiting list

(I'd be shocked if they weren't already filled up by 8:30 this morning at the latest)

6. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, mine was there by 8 this morning and signed for by Furtal...so I am hoping that is good enough. 8(

7. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said I'd be shocked.

I don't obviously know for sure, not actually being inside Soccer House.

just a guesstimate

8. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    The whole thing is just terrible. How inequitable is it since most of us who overnighted it had to get it into FEDEX by a certain time, to ensure that it arrived first thing this morning? Yet faxes were still being accepted late into the night.

People were really caught in a Catch 22: Do I FEDEX it early to ensure it gets there by tomorrow. Or do I risk faxing it tonight, hoping it will go through--but if it doesn't, I am basically screwed.

Terrible choice to have to make. Either way may screw you out of tickets.

9. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was worried yesterday when I mailed it that the faxes would come in during the AM's and by the time my package got there the tickets would be gone.

Nothing is out of the range of realistic possibilities at this point.

10. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    What else can be said for the moment?

11. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there was only 1 fax machine going the whole time, and each fax took 3 minutes to complete, then there'd be 20 orders per hour. If each order took the maximum of 4 tickets, and people kept faxing for 24 hours, then that's 1920 tickets, maximum. That'd leave a minimum of 500-1000 tickets (depending on the match) left over for the FedEx orders.

12. aj2lagop

aj2lagop Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Miami and Wash D.C.
    We panicked when we were not able to get through and just used an overnite service. So I hope that workd out. This whole process has be horrible. From FIFA to US soccer. I wantto go to Germany. I am willing to spend alot of money to make it happen, and there is still the possibility that I might be denied.

13. 120North

120North New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Saint Augustine, FL
    My 4 page fax last night took 8 minutes to complete. I am assuming that my phone line was crappy. I also had 2 failed fax attempts that tied up the line for about 5 additonal minutes. 20 orders per hour might be a bit generous. For what its worth...

14. vladsta

vladsta Member

Jan 11, 2002
    as a veteran of 2 previous WC orders through ussf, the only thing i have to say is, ya'll need to chill out ;-) maybe demand is higher this time around, but in france and korea i was always able to get tickets at the staduim for about face value, especially first round US tickets.

also, you won't get your tix until week before you depart and that will give some of you ulcers. and last but not least, all the people with extra tickets will be dumping them here in late may, i promise ;-)

15. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    2400 baud connecting at 1200.

16. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Do you already have tickets Vlad?
    I wanted to get some but I think I will be shut out.

17. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, for sure, and not everybody ordered the max tickets (I only ordered 2, for instance). I was just trying to imagine the worst-case scenario in order to keep hope alive a little.

How many people were shut out of ussf tix in 98 & 2k2? Anyone around that remembers?

18. vladsta

vladsta Member

Jan 11, 2002
    nope. i'm sending my order tomorrow.

i wouldn't worry.

19. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    I hope you are right. I am going to ovenite mine now because I couldn't get my fax through. I am not very optimistic (optimistic enough to spend $23 on what amounts to a damned stamp). For whatever reason, demand seems a lot higher this time. Do you remember if things were like this last time around? I recall someone saying that USA TST 7's were still available soon prior to the last tournament. Definitely not the case this time.

20. vladsta

vladsta Member

Jan 11, 2002
    hard so say. i wasn't on big soccer back then so can't compare perceived demand ;-)

still, getting tickets at the stadium for the first round was not a big issue. i'll tell you my secret: go to parking lot where buses drop off organized groups, they always have extras and are happy to unload them for face value or below.

21. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    ::tries really hard to not worry::

I think I'll send it snail mail.

22. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judging demand based on how oversubscribed the earlier FIFA ticket lottery was, makes me wonder if the WC02 and possibly even WC98 examples are relevant. I know many more "regular" (read: non-BigSoccer, non-football fanatic) people that are planning on going to this one. Most of these people are first timers too. I don't why that would be the case and its only anecdotal but...

I'd also be a worried about going to Germany ticketless. I'm sceptical about all of the ticket security messages coming out of Fifa but that is a lot of money and time to waste on my guess about how they'll behave. I also wish Fifa would release more details on that internet trading thing their setting up.

23. Bill63

Bill63 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Don't Believe The Rumors On BigSoccer?

On a few threads, there have been hints that the news we have spread yesterday and today was somehow untrue.(So, we all lie for fun? I'm too old to be farting around lying on message boards.) "'Don't believe the rumors on BigSoccer', Amy said." Well,what is it? A number of us got through to US Soccer yesterday and today, and I'd like to know. Was the fax broke? Was there only one? Did Us Soccer say, "Stop Calling!", "FEDEX it boys!" If you heard it from the horse's mouth, what did that horse say? I gotta go, but I'd love to compare notes.

24. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
    I called the Fed in the late afternoon, was told the fax was "broken", and was told they were telling everyone to overnight their orders. The person answered the main Fed telephone number.

I have no way of knowing whether what they said was true - only that that was what they said.

25. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Agreed. That's why I asked the person with whom I spoke for permission to post both her message & her name. I felt that an attributable source was better than "whoever answered the phone". I still have not received an email confirming receipt of my 5:06 PM EST fax. That could be my problem, since due to CAPS I provided my email as jbIGJAKE! However, Amy also told me that that would not be a problem, as my password # would link to the correct email address. Time will tell.