breaking in new boots

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by DaMunk, Dec 5, 2003.

1. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
    So what are your tricks for breaking in a new pair of boots?

I used to just wear two pair of socks and go play. By the afternoon session of the second day of two-a-days I'd be visiting the trainer to take care of my blisters, but by the time they healed my boots were like socks.

I don't have the luxury of a trainer anymore and my pain threshold has decreased with age. What do you guys do?

2. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    I like to rotate them in. If the new ones are bothering me, I may switch at the half.

Try to wear the new ones when it's wet out. They seem to break in quicker when they're wet.

3. ankhman

ankhman Member

May 14, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Way

Soak them with water for a minute or two. Let them air dry. If it is winter time, place near a heating vent. Do not them into a dryer; you could ruin your new pair of shoes. They are really to go after that. Good Luck with the new cleats.

4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soak for a minute, then put them on and run around for a bit. Let them dry. Repeat. Then condition the leather with any kind of product to care for the leather and "revitalize" it after the soaking. A tip: don't try to break new shoes in during the season, think ahead and do it a week before. However, if you have to do it, and you can, rotate them in and out with your old pair for a week.

5. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Assuming they're k-leather outdoor boots...

Soak in warm water for 20 mins without insoles

Wear them around in training/game socks (2 pairs) for at least 20 mins

Take insoles out, stuff them full of newspaper, dry away from vent

Repeat a few times cuz i buy my boots hella tight, i'm most concerned with length not width when i buy boots.