Breaking Hag - The Erik ten Hag Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    To add to that, where both Klopp and Arteta found success was when they solidified their CB pairing...

Sofabloke repped this.
  2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i don't really agree with the lack of options out there.

we don't have to tunnel vision to just Tuchel, Potter, etc.

young upcomers like Amorim, Alonso (yes unlikely), De Zerbi, even Nagelsmann.

rather try one of those than stay the course or try Potter ball

3. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am am not sure of that to be honest - he certainly hasn't shown much at Bayern last year or this and has caused his fair share of turmoil in the dressing room

4. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    They aren’t considerations in my mind because of the need to quickly right the ship. Not sure they’ll want to invest in another unknown project. Especially with the current ETH failure.

5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    it doens't need to be a quick turnaround. Ratcliffe said it himself "it will take time and it won't be flick of a switch". they are willing to take time.

what we do need to do quickly is stop this current crap. the logic of staying with ten Hag because there are no perceived better options is poor.

especially if we play it out - OK he stays, and then what? there is no platform to build on from this season:

• the team isn't good at anything at all
    • outside of development minutes for Garnacho and Mainoo there are no positives
    • no other player improvement.
    • no discernable or working formation, partnerships, cohesion or tactics
    • certainly no obvious reason why it will turnaround and have the major improvement that it needs

and i don't want to hear any crap about when Martínez is back, because any plan that relies solely on one guy and falls apart that spectacularly without him isn't a good one. we've also proven we aren't good at keeping Martínez on the field anyway

6. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    It has to happen fast enough that the squad doesnt give up on the manager. So about 14 months,
    We have too much crap to get rid everyone that actually needs to go. Hard to imagine us clearing out the bums in less than 2 summer windows.

JC7rox and Chaz Striker repped this.
  7. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Yeah, sir Jim said that to set expectations. I’m not sold that he doesn’t want/need quick results.

8. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    He stressed the key is trajectory, seeing progress, with the aim being to get the club in full order by 2028 (to coincide with club's 150th anniversary).

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ir-jim-ratcliffe-outlines-manchester-28678943

Sofabloke repped this.
  9. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    maybe.

either way doesn't change my point. we can't keep going like this

10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What, changing managers and thinking that will fix things ;)

majspike, Deadtigers, SF19 and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    looool you know what i meant.

we'll know shortly either way i suspect

12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You left yourself open to that one - so I couldnt resist :)

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good point. We wait for ours to leave on a free.

Deadtigers and Chaz Striker repped this.
  14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Heard a crazy stat today….

We’ve only played our starting back four once this season due to injuries. Even crazier, we’ve started 26 different back four combinations this season.

Not giving ETH an excuse, but that has to be taken into consideration when looking at our awful defensive stats.

Deadtigers, SF19 and thefly repped this.
  16. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In 32 games!

And the foursome we've used most often (4 games) is:

AWB - Evans - Varane - Dalot

17. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    There was at least one report that ten Hag and Rashford were barely on speaking terms. It's quite telling that ten Hag defended Bruno and Antony, but that Rashford felt he had to speak up for himself.

Rash needn't say anything. If he wants to silence his critics, then he has to do that on the pitch. Simples.

Likewise, the gaffer shouldn't be defending the players from silly TikToks and in Antony's case, legitimate criticism.

If anything, the club's media team should be making a TikTok showing how much of a badass player Bruno can be, but I too am annoyed at how much he whines. It's bad a look and no one cares if he's playing through pain. He has to cut it out unless he wants to keep getting clowned on by other teams' TikToks.

Antony performed admirably against NF and did help the team, but he couldn't dribble past anyone. It's not like he gets double-teamed either. He has been found out in the EPL. He's too easily muscled off the ball. Ten Hag has to start drilling into Antony's head that he must adjust his game accordingly and play more direct, fewer dribbles if anything.

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Antony isn’t going to cut it here. It’s just a matter of when the Glazers will actually let us cut our losses on him. ETH is saying all the shit he needs to because that was one of his guys.

If I’m ETH, I play Anthony off the bench at LW and tell him to make one move and whip in a cross. He can’t shoot for shit and doesn’t have the pace to get away. At least this way Hojlund is getting some service and whoever is at LB is getting some defensive help.

19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The only attribute he has shown to be ok at playing RWF at this level is tracking back and defending.

Would rather see him given a shot at LB while we have big issues there (though not vs City) where if he can do a job defending he can at least contribute in attack by overlapping and crossing.

His pace on defending transitions would be helpful given Amrabat at LB is a bit pedestrian.

Deadtigers repped this.
  20. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Thats because he's been defending him. Or not shitting on him. Rashford is a serial offender and is still here, while Sancho is gone.

So please throw that silly narrative away.

SF19 repped this.
  21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    first 100 games

[​IMG]

SF19 repped this.
  22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I mean, while this season has been rough, that's better than any United manager. Tops even Fergie and Jose as I believe both were around 59%.

23. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Average points per game would need to come into it too, as very few draws.

24. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I saw that stat on Sky, the interesting bit is if you break it down by season;

- 22/23 P62 W42 WR68%

- 23/24 P38 W19 WR50%

25. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013