News: Breaking: Cordeiro Resigns as USSF Prez

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by KCbus, Mar 12, 2020.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I actually saw it get some time shortly after he tweeted the letter and before this thread was even created. It was background noise, but I know they came back to it with Twellman or someone later too.

2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's barely been mentioned today

3. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    It's still on the front page of CNN...

4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you do realize since you like soccer and likely frequent soccer websites that CNN tailors their headlines to your interests right?

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    In incognito mode? Or on different machines on different laptops?

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but its not going to take 18 months for all of us to get infected and get over it. It will take 18 months for it to spread everywhere. As we're already seeing in China, they're coming out the other side with things like Apple stores reopening and travel starting up again.

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    They beat the virus in a way that is impossible for us. Unless you think we can lock people in their apartment complexes for months? We can look at Korea doing well, but their response involved widespread testing. Not doing that here. So we can only compare ourselves to Italy who are... screwed.

tomásbernal repped this.
  8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You didn't that White House Press conference update thingy did you?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-declares-a-national-emergency-on-coronavirus-203618883.html

9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we move the coronavirus discussion to the coronavirus thread and not the thread about Cordeiro resigning?

Bill Archer, JasonMa and STR1 repped this.
  10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he said.

11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will any other heads roll within Soccer House? Clearly others were in on the legal filings and gave them the stamp of approval. What happens to them? What should happen?

12. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah who needs merit

13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Is the USSF being pressured by the advertisers into settling? Legally, this should be a slam dunk case for the federation since they negotiated a contract with the USWNT players.

14. DCYC

DCYC Member

Chivas, DC United, Reno 1868
    Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    In this time and age, this is not a surprising move, and I think it was the best move.

15. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I think the best thing for the USSF would be to split into two separate federations, but I don't think the women will allow it to happen. I say this as an alum of the very last D1 school to have separate athletic departments. It ended up being found to be not "equal" under Title IX because the men's department had so much more money than the women's, for obvious reasons. Heck, our high schools have two separate associations still, and you end up with stories like this.

16. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, he wanted to out-seat Gulati, even Bruce Arena said he's not up to the job.

17. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #42 Doogh, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    What a way to spread equality than for Hope Solo telling us on Qatari-funded BeIN Sports and BeIN Media Group.

Qatar, a beacon of human rights...

DONGARBERISBADANDYOUSHOULDVOTEHIMOUT

SUMISBADMLSISBADSUMISBADMLSISBAD

Bill Archer repped this.
  18. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if she trulluly wanted equality she should be advocating to be treated like ray rice

19. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There is so much that is getting completely ignored in order to win the PR battle.

As it currently stands, the entire "equal pay" and USSF paying the money that represents the gap is dependent on the mens team being good enough to bring in the big bucks and USSF saying yes to anything that brings in cash. So much of the USSF slush fund is from stuff like Copa America, Gold Cup, and FIFA events. The mens "bonuses" come from the FIFA payouts being so big for making the tournament vs winning like the women did. The men don't have bonuses for winning the olympics unlike the women.

The issue the WNT has is with (1) FIFA/CONCACAF having unequal prize money for men/women and (2) the womens CBA which is entirely different than the mens. It doesn't seem like they are willing to fight for fixing the two issues which could bring structural change

Will the women actually open the WNT to the "best" american players? How will this help WoSo in the country? I don't think the WNT has the responsibility to make WoSo viable in this country, but getting paid is not going to change the dynamics of the current state of WoSo. "Equal pay" has been a great rallying cry, but what happens when that is no longer there.

If this is just for the money and publicity ... cool, get paid. If this is about change and leaving the next generation in a better position, I expected more.

Kejsare and jaykoz3 repped this.
  20. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems like a good thread to put it in, but a majority of the USWNT's case was just dismissed. (crossposted from the thread in the USWNT forum)

Looks like the court ruled on the motions to dismiss and the USWNT lost the case:

On the USWNT request for a summary judgement, which the judge denied:

On USSF's request for a summary judgement on equal pay, which the judge granted:

On USSF's request for summary judgement on the turf issue, which the judge granted:

The only remaining issues are travel condition and medical/support staff disparities:

21. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Looks like common sense was the victor here.

22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a snippet from Yahoo!'s version

In particular, the judge pointed to a “history of negotiations” where the USWNT had sought more guaranteed compensation than the riskier pay-to-play structure in the USMNT’s contract. The USWNT “cannot now retroactively deem their CBA worse than the USMNT CBA by reference to what they would have made” under the men’s contract, the judge wrote.

Loosely translated... you can't sign a contract that prioritizes guaranteed money over big paydays and then demand big paydays. Which, any idiot could have figured out months ago.

I'm on their damn side, long-term. They just don't have a leg to stand on as long as they have the exclusive contracts that limit the player pool. Open it up for true competition, and let the coaches decide who gets called up. Do that, and I'm all for equality in pay. The stuff about travel accommodations and per-diems should be fixed, and most likely will be. But the USWNT has been barking up the wrong tree the whole time.

blacksun, flange, Minnman and 11 others repped this.
  23. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    The other thing that has concerned me about this lawsuit is what it will do to the health of the NWSL. That league is hanging on a thread financially and they want to blow up the agreement that keeps it afloat with US Soccer paying the higher salaries of the national team players?

The women did an incredible job at the Women’s World Cup last year, but I could also see a troublesome mentality taking over their group thinking. It seemed like the answer to every non-soccer challenge they had was sexism. They go after Thailand and celebrate too much and the press ask about it? Sexism. The NWSL is struggling financially (as all young leagues do for decades unto they carve out their niche one fan at a time) and the press ask Megan Rapinoe about it? Sexism. They decided on a different contract structure than the men’s national team that will provide them and the NWSL with financial stability? Sexism.

i’m not saying that they don’t deal with a lot of sexism or that they shouldn’t fight it. They should. I just think they got into a group mentality that every non-soccer challenge they faced was sexism.

I don’t want or expect them to stop fighting for themselves though. Hopefully this decision will help them to clear their thinking in that manner and they can continue the fight in a way that doesn’t risk the health of the NWSL.

Honore de Ballsac and superdave repped this.
  24. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that they don't give a bucket of warm puppy shit about the average NWSL player. This has always been about roughly 22 women getting rich and screw everybody else.

So you go on some TV sports talk show hosted by a clueless moron and spew a bunch of crap about girrrrl power and equal rights and lie shamelessly about the facts.

Its always been a PR battle using cultural memes to pocket more money for an elite handful of women who basically self identify, self perpetuate and is operated like a sorority.

How I wish I thought this result was going to be the first step towards opening peoples eyes and making meaningful change. But one certainly suspects that the result will be more pouting, complaining and victimization.

A small group of women will continue to reap huge rewards, the NWSL will continue to be treated like a glorified part time fitness camp and most of the players will continue to live 8 to an apartment eating Ramen noodles and quitting after 2 years.

So very very sad.

25. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #50 Doogh, May 2, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2020
    Don't forget about the doxxing, Bill!