News: Breaking: Cordeiro Resigns as USSF Prez

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by KCbus, Mar 12, 2020.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    He even tweeted a letter more than an hour ago

3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not all that surprising. I don't think he's responsible for the gulf between the Federation and the USWNT, but with that insulting statement coming out from... whoever the hell typed it, someone was going to have to fall on the sword. I don't think anything good was going to happen otherwise.

5. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not sure Cordeiro did much of anything tbh. He might not be responsible for the gulf, but he didn’t try to close it either...

JasonMa repped this.
  6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about your late night news dump...

Will this get much press given the current events in the country and the world?

TOAzer and JasonMa repped this.
  7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough to say. My gut says sports fans will hear more about it because there are no games to cover. The rest of the media probably won't care.

8. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 Mr. Bandwagon, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2020
    Good riddance.

9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 jaykoz3, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    No mention at all on Sportscenter tonight. FS1, CBS Sports, and NBCSN don't have sports hightlight/news shows. Doubt The Herd, First Take, Get Up, and Skip and Shannon will bring it up tomorrow, but we'll see.

Haven't seen it mentioned on the bottomline of ESPN yet either.

10. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    The establishment guy is gone, someone with a bright mind and soccer background steps up, and the lunatic fringe stays on Twitter where they belong. I like it.

Hopefully Cone will make needed changes without worrying about re-election. That way, the youth and amateur heads whose votes carry so much weight, yet matter so little in the grand scheme of things, would be on the sideline for the remainder of her term.

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was happy to see Garber rip into Cordeiro. Made me a bit proud of the guy.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The number of major things happening in sectors of my life I hold dear, all on the same day, is phenomenal. This makes like eight major things today alone.

There were times I thought the Fed had a coherent, defensible position vis-a-vis the USWNT claims, but all of those were swept away by the idiotic statements this week. He needed to go.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was just covered on the 10pm MT Sportscenter. Their West Coast Update show.

sitruc repped this.
  14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I need to be the one that asks this... Do you guys think this will matter? In the post virus world of ~2022 will soccer still exist?

15. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It only leaves the question of why he was in that job in the first place.

As Arena said just a week or so ago, you can say whatever you want about Sunil but the guy had a genuine, deep passion for the game and Cordeiro didnt really much give a shit about it.

He was the wrong man at the wrong time and while hes probably done way more damage than can be fixed by taking the pipe, we all need to figure how this imbecile got the job and how we find someone better qualified.

16. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cindy Cone, simply by virtue of being a woman and a former USWNT player, is already 1000% more qualified. I don't know if it's possible for her to make the kind of sweeping changes the federation is in desperate need of, but at least she's starting from a better point of entry.

17. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely. Particularly because USSF President is in theory an unpaid, largely ceremonial political position.

Ive never been a fan of promoting people based on what is or isnt between their legs but the symbolism alone is worth something.

And since in the end USSF is going to have to open up the vaults and hand over 50 or 60 million dollars to a small handful of women we might just as well go full cuck, admit that men are worthless and useless and give them the deed to soccer house.

18. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you can promise the men bigger bonuses for winning the World Cup and the Olympics because you know it ain't gonna happen. On the women's side, you would be paying out serious coin almost every year. Sounds to me like they're being punished for being the best in the world.

19. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A large chunk of the US population lives on the east coast.....I had sportscenter on for nearly 3 hours last night, from 9:30-12:30, and there wasn't a mention of this. Given current events, this is the least important thing that happened this week. It is important, it's just down the pecking order at this time. If this had happened a week ago....it would have been all over the news.

The letter, and legal filings didn't get nearly enough or
    as much attention as they should have either.

I agree with this. Anytime a position is unpaid, the person holding it needs to at least have passion for it.

Cordeiro did start to make some needed changes. NOT promoting Jay Berhalter to CEO. Restructuring the soccer operations. Hell, giving soccer operations structure rather than having the President preside over those day to day operations. These are baby steps in the right direction. Stewart, Markgraf and McBride are passionate about American Soccer, now they just need the time to implement the necessary changes on the ops side.

As for the business and overall leadership of the Federation.......that needs a lot of work....

Soccer House has a lot of deep rooted issues. Sunil was passionate about Soccer in America. He helped to grow the USSF and the game in this country from largely an afterthought to what it is today. The job of president of the USSF outgrew him, which is a good thing. It might be time to make this position a paid one, given the time & scope that it requires today and going forward.

Doogh, Bluecat82, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  20. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    This isn't a Hollywood movie where the bug wipes out 90% of people.

Yes, soccer will exist. Everything will, minus between 1-3% of those who are infected.

21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The rioting will be worse than the bug... And when we are in quarantine a month, 2, 3, 4, 10, 15 moths... eventually people will rise up. What about when elections are "delayed indefinitely" next year? I really just don't see how this virus doesn't end up a full on world reboot. Our world has ended. A new one will rise in 18 months - 2 years.

22. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    What? There's no need to quarantine for 10 months.

JasonMa repped this.
  23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The latest projections say that the crisis will end in 18 months and only after 70% of the world's population has been infected. And this is only if the virus has minimal mutations. If it mutates like colds and influenza... it's over. The world would never recover. I haven't been sleeping for weeks once I realized this.

24. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta say that I never expected Carlos Cordeiro to be compared to Mr. Morden.

JasonMa and Yoshou repped this.
  25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well.. Cordeiro's head was hosted upon the proverbial pike.

JasonMa repped this.