Breakers vs Washington 7/31

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Weymouth Dave, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Washington comes in in a bit of disarray and the new bad news that McLeod is apparently done for the season with an ACL tear. So with Scurry also unavailable that will put the kid between the pipes. Let's hope we can make the most of the opportunity.

2. disalex

disalex New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Breakers up 1-0 at the half. Kelly Smith goal

3. disalex

disalex New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    3-1 Breakers! Washingtons keeper is the only reason it's not 6-1

4. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Remember back in June when we all hated TD and wanted him canned? Hahahahaha!

What a difference a month makes! The team is on fire and I don't care who got them going — I will give credit to everybody: the players, the coach, the assistant coach, the trainers, the ticket sellers, the ball girls.

Way to go Breakers! You are really making this fun for the fans!

5. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got home from the match. Excellent match with very crisp passing and aggressive offense. Alex came forward more often then in recent matches this year and it created a lot of opportunities. Tarpley had her best match since arriving. I'm not quite sure what Washington suburb the referee comes from but he was the Freedom's 12th man out there tonight.
    7 Grand+ for the pink shirt auction. Someone snuck in at the last minute and bid Scott's shirt from under my nose.
    Even on a subpar night Wombat was always dangerous. Bompastur is a waste at defense for Washington as they need her creativeness on offense.
    Fun game to watch all around without a doubt.

6. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with all the above. And Eleanor, yes, I was one of the ones looking to to have lctd dismissed a month ago... not sure what happened with this team, but the players are playing and the coaches are coaching and they are playing attractive soccer and more importantly getting the results we should expect looking at this roster. Kudos to all!

7. disalex

disalex New Member

Aug 23, 2004
  8. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that a big part of the improved play has been Tarpley's insertion at AM, allowing K Smith to play pure forward which is where her strength and heart lie. The dynamics of this team have changed dramatically over the past few weeks. They actually are playing with confidence and look like they are having fun on the pitch for the first time.

9. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JUST DO IT ( or whatever the PUMA version of that is....)

10. Layman

Layman Member

Mar 7, 2002
    I agree. I have always been saying that K Smith was wasted playing in midfield and glad that somebody in the team has listened.

I like the pink color. Perhaps it is time for Breakers to switch to this color which is seldom seen in soccer and which suits the girls so well.

Thank you for the lovely photos from one of the fans' daughters.

11. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only regret from last night was the limited numbers in the Dock that limited the effectiveness of the chants for Jennifer Nobis and Tiffany Weimer in their last appearance at Harvard Stadium this year before going to Sweden. Two players that are great with the fans! Tried to win Weimer's jersey but it went to one of the Breakers volunteers.

12. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Andy or someone for the club could post the winning bids for the shirts.

13. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word is that Lilly's went for $1000 and that Osborne only $165

14. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    disalex, tell your daughter thank you for the awesome photos!

And I would like to see how the bids went on the jerseys, too!

15. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you'd like to know that I could hear you over in section 6, though I couldn't make out exactly what you were chanting. The crowd seemed in general to be louder than usual. I couldn't make out the stadium announcements after the Boston goals.

16. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    yeah, while I think Smith has great playmaking abilities in general (when she is "on"), she doesn't have the work rate for that position at this point. And I think she and Cheney make a great pair up top. Maybe if Tarp continues to do improve as an AM, she will make it back to the national team - I mean, they really need someone experienced who can play there. We'll see.

And those jerseys...I must say that I generally don't like pink and was not excited about seeing them, but they grew on me. The brighter color looks better on more types of people than the washed out light pink color I was expecting. And I actually like those Everton black jerseys with magenta stripes.

17. alikate11

alikate11 New Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm the daughter (finally joined!) glad you enjoyed them. It would be interesting to see how much all the jerseys went for!

Highlights are up for anyone interested: http://www.womensprosoccer.com/video/index?pid=ECZyuTBoxCjjGU_p13542Gjq9aVtamaw