Breakers vs. Crybaby FC

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by REVS FAN 1, Aug 2, 2010.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The way I understand the "statements" is that there were NO racist comments made. Just abusive language.

Heck, they may consider "You suck" as abusive language.

2. disalex

disalex New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    The new rule will be that you can't yell anything you wouldn't yell at a U-12 Club game....oh WAIT that would be worse than what they yell at Breakers matches

3. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually, the statement did not absolve the abusive and disrespectful comments of being racist. so the comments that were found by both parties could indeed have been.
    The only statement that was definitely absolving any racism was the part where they said that the Riptide (as a whole) did not engage in any racist songs, chants or cheers (i believe those were the categories listed).

that said as i have stated in the thread on the main WPS forum, I'd like Solo to apologize to the Riptide in person and the game in CT seems like the best venue. I say this as a Solo fan. I personally think that owning up to your rash accusations to someone (people) face to face would mean a helluva lot more than a generic impersonal tweet or a league approved form apology with a "To Whom it May Concern" heading.

4. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that would be most appropriate, but I also think she needs to apologize via the same medium she used to make the original accusations. Until she does so, I will find the official response to the incident inadequate.

5. disalex

disalex New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    I agree with you 100% I never claimed anyone said there were not racist comments. I was responding to an earlier post that said it was a fact that there were. They certainly could have been I'm objecting to it being called a fact without the proof

6. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I wouldnt be too sure about that...

7. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Dear Breakers,

Can you please, please crush Atlanta on the 21st? I'm talking 5-0, at least. Show no mercy. This is the only way I will feel that this situation has been properly resolved.

Thanks in advance,
    Jackie

8. Hope Solo Fan Belgiu

Oct 2, 2007
    the only crybaby's are the Riptiders that are still talking about this stuff

9. Crazy Old Lady

Crazy Old Lady New Member

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And I would love to see you eat your words but just hope it's an exciting clean game played with the true spirit of sportsmanship and that it is webcast.

Cheers for now
    Pal

10. disalex

disalex New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Your still talking about it....

11. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't hold your breath on the webcast front.

12. Crazy Old Lady

Crazy Old Lady New Member

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks. It's a shame though because Matchtracker is rubbish.

13. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll be better off following via Twitter. If the Breakers can't webcast in Harvard Stadium, I find it very unlikely that it will happen in New Britain.

14. KATref

KATref Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Stow, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL and the Hope Solo apologists.

15. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok. back from vacation!

First, I wouldn't have been happy with any statement not basically calling Hope Solo a race baiting liar...and I knew that wasn't coming!

Nor did I expect an apology tweet from her as we all know she's perfect and nothing is ever her fault....

I will say this....I can and will assure Hope Solo, the Atlanta Beat, the Boston Breakers, WPS and anyone that cares that each and every chant, each and every word that was said by Riptide in The Dock at Harvard Stadium on Wednesday August 4th will be said again.....only much louder and much longer on Saturday August 21st in New Britain, CT

And I'm sure we can come up with a few new ones as well.

:D

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good for you. Don't give in.

17. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those that don't visit the blog section of BigSoccer.....

Here's one from Bill Archer that is worth a read....

Hope and Change

:D

18. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pot has now been further stirred, as you can read here.

A few quotes:

"One point admittedly overlooked is that if - and in a battle of he said-she said, the if is very important - there were racist comments made toward Atlanta Beat players, Solo does deserve credit for standing up against them and sticking up for her teammates. That is what Atlanta Beat General Manager Shawn McGee emphasized Thursday. Here is what he had to say:

"There are two sides to every story and I can tell you that there were inappropriate and racist comments made by individuals at the match that were directed towards our Japanese players and Hope stood up for her teammates and what she did was to call out something that she believed in and she did not think was appropriate at any sporting event, much less a Women's Professional Soccer game. You know and I give her props and stand by her side and back her on what she did.""

And the response from the Breakers:

"The Beat organization now has additional remarks about the Hope Solo incident both to you and to venues like The Marietta Daily Journal. This is surprising in light of the hours that we spent collaborating with them last weekend on a diplomatic and carefully worded joint statement which was intended to be the final word on the matter. As the Beat have said, there are two sides to every story. So after a week of declining further comment, it is now time to level the playing field.

"Fact: Solo's post-game Twitter allegations were not independently corroborated by anyone in attendance who was not an acquaintance of Hope Solo.

"Vetting he said/she said accounts is a murky and unsatisfying exercise. However, the nature of the allegations was so serious and so ugly that we choose to accept them as fact. We decided to proceed with the worst-case assumption, because to do otherwise would be a grave disservice to the game, the athletes and the fans if we were to dismiss these allegations in error. Accordingly, we made two decisions. First, that we would disregard the two dozen or so witness statements from security contractors, third party concessions workers, fans, players, volunteers and front office staff stationed in that area of the stadium who insisted they heard no comments of a racial nature whatsoever. "

And, further more:

"Fact: Solo's Twitter comments inaccurately and unnecessarily smeared an entire 'fan club' (the Riptide) and entire 'organization' (the Breakers) with the poisonous accusation of racism. These are the comments that the Beat organization now 'stand(s) beside her' on and 'give(s) her props' for."

This is the first we've heard about the comments being directed at Miyama and Yamaguchi. I guess this isn't over. The game in New Britain will be interesting, to say the least, and a worthwhile trip for sure. I thank Jeff Kassouf for keeping up with this story.

19. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the article that Andy mentioned from the Marietta Daily Journal.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It would be cool if also Revs fans and supporters hear about this and show up for the game in support of Riptide and the Breakers.

Pack the house!!!

21. p-nutz

p-nutz Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    hmmm, a bit odd!

Saying that nobody, other than those who are known by Solo, said they heard anything racist ? And then saying there was a decision to disregard the 12 or so statements from others (not Solo's friends) who said nothing racist was said?

It's farcical :D

I'm rather miffed that I live in the UK, I would so LOVE to see the sorely Beaten and Boston face off but alas matchtracker (booo) or webcast will have to do.

22. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to her tweeted commentary while she is home watching the playoffs on TV. And HOPEing someone steps up to at least challenge her as the starter on the USWNT.

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You know I like Hope Solo as a goalkeeper. I thought she was going to be something special when Greg Ryan made her his number #1. (People tend to forget that Greg Ryan elevated her from #3 under April Heinrichs behind Scurry and Luckenbill to his #1 goalkeeper).
    I watched one of their practices up close after Ryan took over and was impressed with her total game.

However, I would love to see someone step up and really challenge her for her starting job on the USWNT.

24. whocares78

whocares78 New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    No one even comes close to Hope Solo's ability as a goalkeeper. She has been the best thing to come to US women's soccer in a very long time. i would be SHOCKED to see someone give her a run for her money because i know it will not happen. she is too good in goal and a very big reason why the uswnt has been successful the past years she has been in net.

25. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100% and she knows it. Thats is why I would like see someone step up capable of pushing her a bit.