Breakers vs Atlantica Beat, 7/11/10 Game thread

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by AMBreakers, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Dartsoc

Dartsoc New Member

May 16, 2004
    May The Saints be praised - there is hope!!!!!!

2. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope will be in net the next time we host the Beat... haha

3. Layman

Layman Member

Mar 7, 2002
    Just one home win and you think the coach has done wonder for a poor season as a whole? How much it was due to his coaching in this win I have no idea. Did the players show any appreciation to the coach after the game? I wasn't there so I don't know.

I hope Breakers finally has found a way forward and continue its march up the WPS teams ladder. Congratulations for a great win, Breakers.

4. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999

Fixed your post.

"Beat The Beat" sounds like a great promotion name for round 2 of "Bring a drum, get in free" which imo generated the best crowd vibe ever.

Season finale, too - should be a great time! Be there or be... oh wait, it's in CT. Darn it. Still, BE THERE!

Is the Bloco drum group gonna be on the Riptide bus trip? If so count me in, and I may just bring a drum instead of a camera, or do one half of each.

5. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only one word comes to mind after this win. And that is potential. The atmosphere at that game was incredible in the 2nd half. I had the vantage point of sitting on the empty side of the stadium. And to see all the fans running across the stadium wanting to chant and dance with the Riptide after the 3rd goal and just the energy that carried through the rest of the match. That is the potential of what the game experience at Harvard can be for every match. Will it continue just as strong every match??? In the short term, most likely no. But it is was a great experience just being there last night and I don't think a single fan could say they didn't enjoy the experience. Definitely something to build on. Great job as always by the Riptide.

And thank god that home winless streak is over. 3 goals in 5 minutes was a very nice way to shatter it. Great job by the players as well. And I don't care if Atlanta was missing all 18 players on their roster, this was still a big win.

6. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Breakers are only four points out of the last playoff spot, and Washington and Chicago have each played one more game than them. A win or even a draw against the Freedom next week (who they've beaten already) and they'd basically be in the same position as they were going into the last game of last season......with eleven games still to play.

Last year the Breakers thought they had a playoff spot locked up with half a season to go, and choked at the end of the year. This year, they are in the opposite position, needing to really work for a playoff spot, and thus will be more motivated to achieve that goal.

It's not just one home win...look at the stats for the season, the Breakers score almost all their goals either right out of the gate or right after halftime. Somebody talks to them in the locker room you know. This game backed up that trend in a BIG way.

The teams were evenly matched, with BOTH sides missing key players, and the Breakers with heart and spirit (and a crowd with the same) pulled out a hard fought win which provides some huge momentum heading into the FSC game.

Look back at the highlights of the STL game. Solo played poorly and the Breakers earned a draw on the road against a "super team." Look at the highlights of the first Philly game. Breakers dominated the chances and missed a wide open header at 90 mins. Look at the stats from both Sky blue games. Breakers dominated the play. FCGP has run up the score on most of the league yet only beat Boston by one goal each time, once when Boston was missing key players.

All that bad luck and the team is still only four points back with all the momentum in the world? I think a turnaround like that requires some great disciplined coaching.

7. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll also have LePeilbet, Lilly, Cheney and Cox.

Celebrate good times, come on.

8. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen.

9. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bunch of comments (not quoting everyone because I reserve the right to be lazy)

1. Boston hosts the Atlanta Beat August 4th at Harvard Stadium. This is the game to replace the cancelled STL match from June.

2. The gross majority of the noise in the Dock came from AfroBrazil and the kids they attracted over. Not saying that Riptide can't take partial credit for it, we can, but the credit deserves to be spread out.

3. Riptide Bus Trip to New Britain in August-> info can be found @ www.riptide08.com

10. Layman

Layman Member

Mar 7, 2002
    I am not sure that it can be interpreted in the way as you have. If it is the coach, the team would have changed the way they played and retained the improvement right through and not just out of the gate or right after halftime. Could it be down to the players themselves with fresher legs?

As I said, I wish Breakers well and hope that they can be right up to the top of the table at the end of the season. It was a big disappointment last year.

11. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Just saw the highlight video from the game and no wonder the crowd was so into it!

Those were three very different, very exciting and creative goals.

Angeli's was a hopping, one-shot blast.

Smith's was flat-out smart soccer. She gets in close and when the goalie doesn't control the ball, Smith sends it home.

Bogus' goal was a left-footed shot from far side, with little angle, as the keeper came out.

12. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Great photos, Tony. Thanks for sharing!

I have to say that from the videos and photos it is clear Tarpley also was a real factor in the game, so kudos to her, too.

13. Fred19

Fred19 New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    How did Tarpley play? Has she fully recovered yet?

14. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Very good descriptions from someone who wasn't there (why not? ;) we need all the bodies we can muster.)

I'd venture to say that Angeli might just be the Breakers version of Clint Dempsey, only better looking! Sorry Clint...

15. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Very good descriptions from someone who wasn't there (why not? ;) we need all the bodies we can muster.)

I'd venture to say that Angeli might just be the Breakers version of Clint Dempsey, only better looking! Sorry Clint...

And yes Tarpley also had a good game, as did Laura del Rio. Keep it up, Breakers!

16. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amy LePeilbet injured her ankle and had to be carried off the field in serious pain during the US-Sweden friendly in Nebraska tonight.

Let’s hope this is not serious. Potential momentum killer with Abby coming to town next weekend.

17. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly doubt the USWNT players will be available next Sunday. That would include both Abby and Amy.

18. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, I forgot they had another game on Sat. Still, the injury looked serious at least watching on TV, so she could be out long term. Let's hope for a quick recovery.

19. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I half expected Coach DiCicco to lean out the press box window and start cursing out the Swedish players.:D

20. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone heading down to Hartford Saturday?

21. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm traveling down there with some of the Riptide brass (haha).

22. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    I'll be there!