Breakers vs Atlantica Beat, 7/11/10 Game thread

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by AMBreakers, Jul 9, 2010.

1. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the other thread was locked, I thought I'd start a new one for the game on Sunday at Harvard Stadium as the Breakers look for their first home win of the season against the Atlanta Beat.

According to the Breakers website the two goal scorers from last Sunday will be missing for US national team duty- Lauren Cheney and Kristine Lilly. In addition, LePeilbet and Cox will be out for the same reason on the back line.

This creates a lot of questions. Will Smith play up front instead of in midfield? Or will it be Del Rio/ Tarpley? If Moore isn't in the lineup this time then we must assume she's injured?

In other words, if anyone has any further information/ official game notes, post them here.

I'll be coming up from CT to join the Dock. Keep up the good work Riptide!

2. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Anyone planning on watching the World Cup final in the area before the game?

3. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I've thought about going to Redline, as it's the 'official after-game bar' of the Breakers (or something like that.) It's also close enough to walk. Any other suggestions?

4. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a link to the official game notes. They project Cheney as a starter, which is obviously not correct. So you don't have to look it up, the game notes project what seems to be a 4-1-3-2: Naeher; Angeli, Moore, Dieke, Scott; Osborne; Hemmings, Tarpley, Fabiana; Del Rio, Smith. (I substituted Del Rio for Cheney, but that's a guess.)

I did see that Weimer and Igwe are back on the roster as Developmentals, along with Bogus. I thought Tiffany Weimer played pretty well in the midfield the one time, so that's always a possibility.

5. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not me.... being from CT, I'm leaving at about 2:30 and driving with family up the Pike...in other words, we're skipping the World Cup final to go see the Breakers. However, I'm taping the game to watch the next morning.....would it even be possible to not have any spoilers during conversation in the Dock or is that way too much to ask?:rolleyes:

Then again, I'm sure they'll probably announce the result over the PA system......

Or I could just use the Del Rio Method. If she seems to have an extra jump in her step, then I'll know who won......:)

6. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry.....missed the "Quote message in reply" button there......was a reply to "Meinert6"

7. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info. Should be interesting to see how the offense flows with that formation...specifically with Kelly up front and not in mid.

I guess DiCicco must have seen something he really liked in Hemmings......because her and Weimer seem to be very similar players, except Tiffany has more experience.

8. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
    The http://www.phoenixlandingbar.com is another favorite, but it may get a bit overcrowded for the final.

9. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thunderstorms in the forecast throughout the evening, with more than 40% chance of rain :(

10. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
    That's 60-40 that it WILL NOT rain! Bring a poncho ($1 at Ocean Job lot) just in case.

Worst case, we get to find out if Harvard Stadium leaks under the stands as bad as the old Foxboro Stadium did...

11. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    40% chance of rain for EVERY individual hour between about 3pm and midnight. Scattered thunderstorms throughout.

12. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Responding to a couple of different posts in this thread:

* Redline is on our official post-game bar/nightspot, but it is not open on Sundays.

Just around the corner from Redline and about a ten-minute walk from Harvard Stadium is Tommy Doyle's (on the site of the former House of Blues location in Harvard Square). Our players/staff watch games their frequently and it would be a good spot to watch the WC final before our game.

*Cheney was clearly listed as a likely starter in the game notes by accident. She is gone tomorrow, as are Cox, LePeilbet and Lilly. (And Solo for Atlantica).

You may see Liz Bogus get a spot start at forward from the developmental squad.

*I hope that the rain holds off. We were out there today setting up field boards (so we can watch the WC final tomorrow afternoon instead of doing manual labor) and we got absolutely drenched.

When the schedule came out in early February, I believed this game would be the biggest dog on the home calendar, because of the WC final. It ended up selling a little better than expected, with 3,400 tickets pre-sold, but nice weather will still be needed to keep this within typical Breakers crowd range.

Andy

13. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back. Great goal by Masar. I kept dry in the first half as my seats are last row of section 129 well under the roof.
    Can someone explain why in the second half they showed replays of every miss but in the first half did not show replays of the goals?

14. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Andy. This unfortunately demonstrates that I had yet to get to Redline considering how many Breakers games have been on Sunday.:eek: Doyle's sounds like a good spot.

15. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two questions--

What are the conditions necessary for the game to be cancelled? Is that even possible? How long can rain delays last?

Is Riptide going to be tailgating in the parking lot pregame or will everyone be watching the World Cup?

16. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong thread buddy! :)

17. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Great win for Breakers! Great stories, where to begin?

Angeli fires a blaster to get things going just four minutes after being subbed in for second half.

Osborne, in her second game back from her leg injury, gets two assists.

Smith gets what I think was her 4th goal of the season, continuing her march up the league scoring ranks.

Bogus, on and off and on and off and on the team, gets her first WPS goal.

Three goals and a win within a four minute span! Wow!

And based on tweets from fans, sounds like it was a great crowd and great atmosphere. Boston may be on a roll.

Awesome!

18. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They needed this win against the only team below them in the standings.
    First home win of the season, first home win since July 15, 2009.
    First 3 goal game of the season, only second one in team history, the last one being April 18, 2009.

Atlanta was very strong in the first half, it didn't look good for the home team, but what a second half! Hopefully they will keep building on this, maybe someday soon they will a full 90 instead of relying on halftime adjustments.

Angelini's sheer joy at finding the back of the net was priceless. The Dock was a force all night.

19. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a drop, only weather issue was the sun screaming over the ramparts until about the 60th minute ;)

20. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right that the team can still improve.....but if that three goal burst right out of the locker room doesn't silence the Tony doubters once and for all I don't know what does.

You're also right that Atlantica is a last place team......but I'm still very excited. Both teams were not at full strength, and there was a lot of talent still on the Atlantica roster. The Breakers were able to pull out a hard fought match and that's a promising sign.

Dieke and Bogus especially were both very impressive in their new roles/new teams.

The promotion for Bang the Drum night really helped the stadium atmosphere to be the best it's been in a while. Of course, the team winning helped too.

No it didn't rain......But a giant wave (breaker) crashed down on Atlanta.

Rain or no rain the Breakers always REIGN in the end.

21. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quote from yours truly two weeks ago........

"He coached the US Women's national team to the cup....and the next two games are on Fourth of July and the day of the World Cup final......Don't give up the ship"

Reading that worship slab might have been painful, but it also came true.

22. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On our first goal their keeper came way out without a prayer of getting to it and that certainly perked the Breakers up. The ref was a bit of a chump but I'm sure all the good ones got the day off. Nice to see a "W:

23. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Just saw this write up from Breakers site. So much for MatchTracker!

ATL: Johanna Rasmussen 2 (Eniola Aluko) 7'
    BOS: Jordan Angeli 2 (Leslie Osborne) 49'
    BOS: Kelly Smith 4 (Lindsay Tarpley) 53'
    BOS: Liz Bogus 1 (Jordan Angeli) 54'

So Angeli gets a goal and an assist! Way to go Angeli. But I am still super happy about how Osborne is doing.

24. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Great to finally see a win at home, after almost an entire year. That was one exciting four-minute span. The highlight for me was Angeli's goal and her subsequent exuberance.

Don't forget to send your votes for the top 3 players of the match to info@riptide08.com!

25. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, we were blessed with an ANGELIC goal :)