Breakers Player Transactions 10-15-10

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Andy Crossley, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    The Breakers will announce today that the club has declined 2011 contract options on four players:

Stephanie Cox
    Laura Del Rio
    Kasey Moore
    Sarah Walsh

This move makes each of these players a free agent. As free agents, they will not be part of the expansion draft. They can talk to other WPS clubs in free agency starting on November 10th. The Breakers may choose to make free agent offers to some or all of these players starting on December 1st.

Andy Crossley

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Not picking up the option on Cox is surprising -- unless it is salary cap related. I thought she had a very good year for Boston. Not picking up the options on the other three players isn't a surprise.

But perhaps I do suspect a bit of maneuvering around the expansion draft & desire to keep some players around...

3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Same, I think Cox is a good player and I am sure some teams will try to sign her.

4. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Sarah Walsh saw more action in autograph alley than she saw on the field due to injury so her not being resigned is not a shock at all. That combined with the fact that she will be away with the Lady Matildas getting ready for the WWC next year.

Laura Del Rio definitely had a better 2nd half of the season than the first and she might develop into a solid WPS player but she isn't there yet. And international spots are too valuable to have to wait a couple of years for her game to match the pace of the league.

As for Kasey Moore, she definitely has one of the more powerful shots in the league and was a danger on set peices, but her inability to keep pace and mark the speedier forwards in the league certainly made her a candidate for the chopping block.

I am just as surprised as the previous 2 posters in not picking up the option for Stephanie Cox. She had a solid year, provided balance to the backline which was lacking when Mitts was on that side. Unless they have someone in mind to fill the left back position this move could prove costly next season, because left back is a tough position to fill.

5. McDude

McDude New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Not surprised by the release of Cox, Del Rio and Moore….think it is the case of simple economics and unable to afford their services given the budget constraints of 2011. Cox could be re-signed after her trip through free agency, but perhaps at a lower rate.

The biggest surprise for me is Walsh being released and Boston taking the potential salary hit for the remaining months of her injury pay – would have thought that the Breakers are on the hook for her salary through June 3, 2011 (1 yr from date of placing her on WPS injury report) anyway, so why release her and hope another team picks her up (seems unlikely if she is not healthy)?

If Boston has to pay her salary in 2011 through May, they may as well get use of her services by continuing her contract till then.

6. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't. Declining her option means that she won't get paid one cent by the Breakers. They did not release her. They simply chose not to pick up an option. That is different.

7. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    If you recall, she actually was ready to return to play in midseason, but then hurt the knee again playing for Australia during a national team call up. The ensuing surgery was performed under Australian national team auspices and they bare most of the responsibility for her subsequent rehabilitation. She was nearly ready to return by WPS playoffs, so she should be able to contribute to Australia and to a new club team next spring.

8. McDude

McDude New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Thanks for the update - glad to hear that Walsh is close to returning to the field for both Australia and a potential WPS club next season. If she is eligible to play then any injury clause or injury protection issue is moot.

Injuries are tough on both players and their teams.

9. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh i recall. Spoke with her about it at Fantasy Camp. :)