Breakers in third place....Can you believe it?

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by AMBreakers, Aug 2, 2010.

1. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I took a nice little vacation with my family down south during the past two weeks. We arrived at our relatives’ lake house on Wednesday July 21 for one night to hang out at their Dock and go swimming. Just as dinner was ready and we made our way out, I received a friendly reminder from their grandfather clock, which bonged to the tune of “Play up Pompey,” or “Same old, always cheating” and then struck seven. Then I remembered that the Breakers were playing that night at that time, and it all made sense……..

We proceeded to head to the beach in South Carolina the next week. Now I’m no expert surfer being from up north, but I decided to give it a try, it being vacation and all. And I can say, it really was a rude awakening……..at this time in July those breakers crushed everything in their path, including me….they were really on a roll. It was clear that the tide was high in July 2010.

When I got home last night, a recording of the July 18 Breakers game was waiting. I proceeded to watch the Breakers win to the tune of a mic’ed up and loud as ever Dock on FSC. (Heard you guys sneak in a “Lilly’s army” chant when I wasn’t there…..;)) And then came the check on the WPS standings, as the whole vacation experience was reflected in the Breakers’ results.

Of course, since you all lambasted Tony D. when the team hit that stretch of bad luck early on, it’s your duty to give him just as much credit for the team’s July turnaround. ( Socfandan, Dartsoc, Matt that means you.) However, chamoG and I were and are smarter than running around in circles like that. Really the team’s style of play hasn’t changed much…as we kept saying, stick with the system and the results will eventually come. The “failures” early on were a blessing in disguise, since the team is now motivated at exactly the right time to keep up this momentum. In other words, the rest of the league peaked too early. Soccer is all about timing and trusting your system and staying together, as last year’s champion SBFC knows.

The few things that have changed…..little known players like Angeli, Bogus, Tarpley and Dieke have come out of nowhere, as has the end product of lctd’s early season goalie carousel. Also, the team has figured out how to sustain their energy throughout the full 90 rather than rely on halftime adjustments. Socfandan? They heeded your advice, where’s the credit?

So I guess we can all look back and laugh at the time when you all thought you were walking all over the kool aid drinking newbie. :)

See you all in New Britsky……. Only 20 days away!

2. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kudos already given, catch up on your reading before posting.

3. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd read all of the posts on previous threads, before my post. Kudos certainly was given for all of the wins, but I just wanted to add that little story in there for fun and create a sense of perspective when comparing now with last month.

Point is, most of the posters on here seem to be very quick to either praise (now) or criticize (June) the team and the coach, whereas me and a while back chamoG were looking at general positive trends in their play, even when they were losing, and recognizing that we still had a great team that would get results eventually with only minor changes needed.

It seems to me that Tony and the players think the same way. The vibes are always relentlessly positive. We're blessed to have a team (and fanbase?) like that.

4. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and I thought I was a Kool-Aid drinker....

[​IMG]

5. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure who should receive credit for the turnaround of the past month, but will give credit to the team for playing much more consistently, creatively and resolutely. They are keeping their shape and getting forward in unison, staying wide instead of jamming the center, kind of actually looking like a team. Pretty damn cool.

Dieke has slotted in nicely, Naeher is playing with more confidence, Tarpley in mid and Smith playing up top all have a role IMHO. I am glad that lctd finaly read BS and took our suggestions, just wish he had done it earlier in the season :)

AMB, any more vacations planned? Nice the famly let you out of the basement for a while huh? ;)

6. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sneak in a "Lilly chant"? Thats how we'll roll from now on. And if she's not in then its Leslie's army. Captain is more important than Sir Tony Diccico.

7. Dartsoc

Dartsoc New Member

May 16, 2004
    Yoy may be right - hope so!

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wacky, wild, kool-aid style...

Oh, Yeah.

9. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the beginning of the season you thought the coach's name should be in that chant, not the captain's. Think back to that day.....would you have been satisfied if you were told the Breakers would be in third place at the beginning of August? I think so. Therefore, there's no reason why the original chant shouldn't be going on now, is there?

I'm well aware of the post that originated "Lilly's army" and to me it still means "Fire Tony".....not the message we need after a turnaround like this. And I'm as big a fan of Lilly as anyone.

By the way Matt have the last six games been worth your extra gas and food money???;)

10. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yawn.

11. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not have been satisfied with 3rd place in August at the beginning...

And I'm not today...

If Tony, Andy or any of the players are....The should all be fired.

12. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Careful, you may get charged a toll for that comment.

13. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCGP is almost an all star team. The old Athletica was stacked as well. At the beginning of the season therefore, third place and a home playoff game would have been a dream come true. Now, the league has become more balanced after STL folded and Atlanta and many others are better, making it even more difficult. Don't get me wrong, Boston can certainly beat any team in one individual game or a playoff game but it's unreasonable to expect first place over FCGP over the course of the entire season.

As last year's playoffs proved the team with the best regular season record might be at a disadvantage in the long run. This Breakers team is peaking and finding its chemistry exactly at the right time. Third place now might lead to first place in the end.

If you need help paying your toll, I'm sure Matt would be able to lend a hand. He has $130 in his pocket after cancelling his season tickets:D

By the way, what color is the bus that you're all taking down to New Britain?

14. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course I'm canceling my season tickets. They cut Ocho and kept LCTD. Andy is not my friend.

15. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes: forget this last night

16. disalex

disalex New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    A Coach or a GM should NEVER be satisfied with anything short of a championship. As a fan, however I'm much happier. Let's face it things had gotten so bad it wasn't really much fun anymore. Now, win or lose they are playing way better and it's fun to go. If they end up in 3rd, I'll live with it.

17. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are pushing Philly with 2 or 3 games left head-to-head? Lets agree to settle for 2nd at this point!

18. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll live with last place. We're talking about a game here.

I've been a New England Revolution supporter for 15 years...I know mediocrity....I've seen trophies ripped from our hands in every way imaginable and I've seen us be the laughing stock of the league....

As a supporter, I expect a championship every year....

As a supporter, I will continue to be a season ticket holder whether we win that championship or go 0-24.

3rd place will never be a "dream come true"

Will I be happy if we finish fourth and steal the trophy like Jersey did last year? sure.

Would I be happier if we dominate the regular season and prove that we are the best team over 24 matches regardless of a final match....absolutely!

JMO

19. disalex

disalex New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Ok you have changed my mind! I give :)