Breakers at Independence - 8/29 - 6:00pm - FSC

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by REVS FAN 1, Aug 25, 2010.

1. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WPS Week 20 Preview

Sunday, August 29

Philadelphia Independence vs. Boston Breakers
    (6pm ET – Fox Soccer Channel)

John A. Farrell Stadium, West Chester, PA

- This is a match-up between the league’s second and third place squads. Boston currently sits behind Philadelphia by five points for the second position in the race to host the WPS Super Semifinal but would really narrow the game with a win against Philadelphia considering Boston has one game in hand.

- A win by Philadelphia guarantees the Independence of a home playoff game. A tie by Philadelphia also guarantees them of a home playoff game if Sky Blue FC loses or ties on Saturday. Even with a loss, Philadelphia could already be in the playoffs if Washington loses or ties on Saturday against Sky Blue FC.

- The match will feature two of the league’s best offenses. The Independence are atop the league, scoring 1.67 goals per game with the Breakers scoring 1.55 goals per game this season. The match also features two of the top scorers, Philadelphia’s Amy Rodriguez (12) and Boston’s Kelly Smith (10).

- Boston holds the series advantage at 1-0-2 on the season. Their last meeting was on August 8th and ended in a 2-2 draw.

- Philadelphia’s Lori Lindsey is currently second in the WPS in assists with 7, one behind Washington’s Abby Wambach, and teammate Amy Rodriguez also has 6 on the year.

2. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biggest match of the year for each team IMO....Winner IMO will finish the season in 2nd place.....

Riptide/Breakers are trying to set up a viewing at CBS Scene in Foxboro for the match....

The Revolution are hosting "Meet the Revs" at 1pm on Sunday at Gillette for season ticket holders...I may have a few extra MTR tickets if anyone is interested...

Would anyone here be interested in a viewing at CBS Scene???

3. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would attend. I might also be interested in a MTR ticket if you have one.

4. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be a whale of a game. I am glad it is the FSC game of the week!

5. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy has confirmed with CBS Scene....

They are expecting a small group to watch the Breakers game....Let's overwhelm them and pack the place!!!

:D

[​IMG]

Breakers vs Independence Viewing Party - 6PM

http://www.cbsscene.com/

6. disalex

disalex New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    yes!!!!!!!!!!

7. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a wonderfully strange game Boston won 2-1 getting a great goal from Stephanie Cox and a penalty kick from Kelly Smith who endured a barrage of cheap shots from Jen Buczkowski and Holmfridur Magnusdottir which the referee ignored. Mucho kudos to Alyssa Naeher who continues to shine in goal.
    Nice 3 points to leave with!

8. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 pts are always welcome :)

The Independence are certainly a bunch of hacks, and got away with way too much. But, the Breakers were fortunate to have the PK called, on replay it could easily have been called outside the box.

A strange game, yes. No real flow for either team. Not enough flank play, lots up the middle, lots of pinball plays. Two of the prettier plays the whole game were the 2 goals disallowed for offside.

9. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Last defender on a goal scoring chance...a player sitting a yellow takes out Cheney....Call me crazy but Philly was fortunate to end they match with 11 players....

10. Layman

Layman Member

Mar 7, 2002
    I quite agree that it is a strange game which the Breakers were lucky to come up on top.
    The first gaol was to me a goalkeeper's mistake. LeBlanc was standing way too much to one side leaving a large part of the goal on her right unprotected. She did not even react to Cox's shot. Then the foul which resulted in the penalty was clearly committed outside the penalty box.
    I know referees are difficult to find but surely for the sake of women's soccer, we need to have better ones. One can see that the referee lost some control of the game after his too many doubtful calls which got tempers flying and players playing way too rough unnecessarily. The referees are there not only to enforce the rules but also to protect the players from being injured by rough play.
    I think the Philies played quite well at times and managed to penetrate Breakers defence to create good chances for goal which they managed to score only once.
    Whereas the Breakers were unable to break down Philies defence. They need better ideas on how to do it from the players if not from the coach.
    Luckily the Philies relied too heavily on Lindsey, which is never my favorite midfield player. After her replacement, the Philies were playing much quicker, with much better moves and commitment. I was bitting my fingers hoping the Breakers could hold on to their slim lead to the end. Well, congratulations to the girls in blue jerseys but hope they can play with more creativity next time.

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Crazy. :D I agree. I was surprised that the ref didn't card her. If he calls that foul (pk or not) he has to card her. Last defender back. Clear denial of goal scoring opportunity. Obvious card & Philly down to 10.

Who had the pass to Cheney right b/f the PK call?

And Layman, I agree, the ref did not have control of the game & it started to get pretty chippy. That's Philly's MO, though. But he could have blown the whistle a couple more times & given out another card or two (which were called for) and everyone would have kept their heads. I'm surprised Frida finished the game--she should have had a yellow for shoving Smith out of bounds. As I said in the main pbp thread, Smith usually takes her revenge (ie commits a silly, reckless card-able foul of her own) when she keeps getting hit. She didn't last night, which was good for Boston.

And Boston really misses Osborne.

12. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tarpley played it through to Cheney....they've been playing really well off each other recently...

And yes, 1000 times yes we miss Osborne...

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I thought that might be who sent the pass but all those ponytails blend sometimes. Even for me, a huge Tarpley fan.

14. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing.

15. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree it should have been a card and a send-off, and Philly lucked out, just think that awarding the PK was questionable, but I'll take it!

16. Dartsoc

Dartsoc New Member

May 16, 2004
    I just saw the tape and I thought the set play was one of the coolest I have ever seen - maybe Tony read a book on soccer

17. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From hanging out in the Referee Forum, I would say no. Since the foul on Cheney took place before she could settle or control the ball, there's a case to be made that this is not an OBVIOUS goal-scoring opportunity. Hence no DOGSO (Denial of Obvious Goal-Scoring Opportunity)

The Ref's Forum is pretty neat and some of you may want to post your comments about questionable calls there sometime especially when there's a video clip available (as there is here). You'll get to hear some perspective from actual referees.

18. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was a cautionable offense as a reckless challenge with not even an attempt to or possibilty of playing the ball, which would have been her 2nd yellow resulting in dismissal. Never thought it should be a straight red for DOGSO.

19. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, now that sounds reasonable, too! Whether one of us pops the question over in the Ref Forum or not, this is definitely the kind of thing they talk about over there.

20. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a ref, I already spend way too much time talking to other refs. But thanks for the offer...... :D