Brazil's top 5 rivals

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by MIGkiller, Oct 6, 2003.

1. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Based on a thread in the Portugal forum, I thought it would be interesting for us to discuss who are Brazil's top 5 rivals in football, so here is my take:

1. Argentina - no further explanations needed; our neighbors, our eternal rivals. Pelé x Maradona.

2. Uruguay - our neighbors too, but it slowed down a bit in the past years, mostly because of Uruguay's own decadence; but there's still the Maracanazzo in 1950.

3. Italy - a lot of history in the World Cup between us; people cannot forget 1982 and Paolo Rossi, but at least we paid it back in the 1994 final.

4. France - if that PK decision in 86 wasn't enough, the 98 final definately sealed it, and the French talked too much during the following 4 years; how the Brazilians enjoyed their sudden elimination in 2002...

5. Paraguay - that's a tough call, because beyond the 4th place there isn't a real rival for Brazil, but since they are our neighbors and we have already fought a war in the past, they are the closest of another south-american rivalry after Argentina and Uruguay.

2. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Great thought MIG.

I don't see too many rivals. IMO true rivalries must be based on "deep dislike" + "mutual respect" + "meeting repeatedly in significant games". One has to feel the pain of losing to a rival......I feel no pain at losing to Holland for example, despite great games played against them.

My top 5

1) Argentina

2) Argentina U23

3) Argentina U20

4) Uruguay - much lesser extent because don't often meet in crucial games

5) Italy - no animosity here however

Funny how Germany should have been a rivalry, but circumstances had it such that few titles won by each team in the recent past involved direct confrontation.

Looking towards the future

France - if they remain a world power beyond this generation of players

Cameroon - they will only get better, and always play Brazilian teams tough at all levels

Turkey - if they continue to field good squads; between WC'02 and ConfedCup this year the intensity level with them is elevated

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Argentina - no explanations needed unless u r a newbie soccer fan

Uruguay - history

Italy - history

France - history (esp recent history)

5th? no one, really.

4. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about this lame continuation.........

6. Germany - race for the most WC title. Well.... kinda.

7. Ecuador - watch your back: they are the new kids on the block.

8. Portugal - trying to get on Brazil's nerve.

9. England - you always kick our A$$ in the WC final.....

10. USA. - worse than England got.

;)

5. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    This analysis is interesting to me because I think the same thing regarding Germany and Cameroon. IMO, rivalries go beyond dislike and mutual respect. But controversy also plays a big part in the development of most rivalries as do the questions with no **real** right or wrong answers. Such as "Best team all time?" "Best player all time"? Brazil & Argentina are a classic South American rivalry that fits all the criteria to me. England and Germany in Europe are another.

Ever since IMO the 2000 Olympics, Cameroon has been a team that the Selecao hasn't approached with a consistent level of respect. But each time that happens, the Selecao has lost. Turkey IMO very well could be a rival - there is a history born from the WC match and controversy. However whether or not this develops into a deep rivalry depends on Turkey's development. Who is to say Turkey qualifies for the next WC, and how many times will the teams actually meet? For this to be a rivalry, I think it would have to take more time to develop.

I don't know if France is a rivalry - I don't think so really. They just have had the Selecao's number in recent competitive matches, and they have a stellar crop of players right now. But when you compare relative success in the past ten years, Brazil has had more - while France has had more success strictly against Brazil. And the teams? I don't think they hate one another. But they respect one another.

If CONMEBOL was mroe organized, I would say Uruguay could be a major rivalry again. But there isn't the sort of animosity (for me at least) towards Uruguay, but I respect their team. However they are getting better now, and they have some young players that are starting to make their voices and presence known in major leagues around the world. I think they'll qualify for 2006 and give the Selecao problems. But we'll see.

6. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    1. Los Hermanos that we love to hate.

2. Los Hermanitos (crossing Rio da Prata).

3. Netherlands (1974, 1994, 1998). Very
    classy rivalry. It´s always a great match.

4. Italy (1938, 1970, 1978, 1982, 1994). The most important WC ‘classic’ ever.

5. England. It´s a very respectful rivalry, a match for adults, as Zagallo said.

On England, by the way:

The last time they met...
    The Observer

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,4434605-108081,00.html

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    1- Argentina

2- Uruguay - Despite their recent decline, every time we play it's a tough game and the Brazilian press still brings up 1950!!!

3- Italy - Brazil's biggest World Cup games - two titles, one third place and a huge heartbreaker among them. Even the friendlies are great... 3x3 in 1997 for example.

4- France - Recent, but deserved, they beat us in the Confed Cup remember? And they have a good claim to the number one spot in any ranking. I would love to see Brazil, with Diego, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Kaká, Alex and whoever else stars in 2006, knock them out.

5- England/Holland - Big World Cup games. But as pointed out above, with these there is no animosity really.

8. MathuzaLem

MathuzaLem New Member

May 30, 2003
    SP, Brazil
    I would go even further...

1) Argentina

2) Argentina U23

3) Argentina U20

4) Argentina U17

5) Argentina U15

9. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    That wasn't a friendly, it was Tornoi de France--England, Brazil, France, Italy.

10. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Which was an exhibition tournament. I get your point, but what were they playing for? It was just a friendly round robin between four teams to warm the French people up to the World Cup.