Brazil's Serie A TV rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Gyro62, Oct 10, 2018.

1. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe those apply to languages other than Portuguese? Just as RAI has Italian language rights here in the US or TV5 plays some Ligue 1 matches in French. Just speculation on my part.

2. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    #27 Marius Tresor, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Globo International is in HD on Sling. So is Record International and Band International. Band News is in high quality 16x9 SD, it looks like 576i. PFC is in poor quality 16x9 SD, must be 480p. PFC looks a little better on AT&T TV Now, but still 480p. AT&T TV Now does a good job maximizing the quality of SD channels. Sling is usually pretty good too for SD channels. I am not sure why PFC looks so bad on Sling.

Of the available Brazilian channels, only Globo International and PFC have live soccer in the USA versions of their channels. Record International and Band International have some pretty good soccer talk shows and highlights. Band International runs a lot of programming from their Brazilizian domestic sat/cable channel Band Sports. Band News has soccer highlights. Apparently, SBT International is coming soon to Sling, in HD. SBT is usually the #2 channel in Brazilian ratings, behind Globo, but has no soccer at this time, I think.

3. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    That makes sense.

4. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    SBT has had zero soccer for years but they will have the Rio de Janeiro final on Wednesday between Flamengo and Fluminence, the famous Fla, Flu.

5. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    As part of the conflict, Globo moved most of its matches to the Premier PPV channel.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  6. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    #31 Marius Tresor, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    PFC Internacional seems to have the Portuguese language rights to just about all Brazilian soccer, at least in the U.S., but I think that PFC Internacional is also available in Portugal, and maybe other countries.

PFC Internacional in the U.S. is basically the international version of the Brazilian domestic sat/cable channel "SporTV 1" in Brazil. The only differences seem to be that PFC Internacional carries all of the SporTV 1 domestic soccer plus additional games from the Brazilian premium channels "Premiere." PFC Internacional carries all of the SporTV 1 talk shows and news shows, all live, but SporTV 1 also shows international special events like FIFA tournaments and the Olympics, which are not on PFC Internacional. Except for Brazil national team games and other important Brazil games in other sports, which are always on the main over the air channel Globo. There are also Brazilian domestic sat/cable channels SporTV 2 and SporTV 3. SporTV 2 shows mostly sports other than soccer, like volleyball, basketball, tennis, etc., but sometimes shows overflow soccer games. SporTV 3 shows mostly UFC. There is a Brazilian domestic version of PFC, which is a 24 hour channel, but it seems to run entirely replays of the one hour version of games when the live games are not on, and none of the SporTV talk shows and news programs. PFC Internacional is thus much more like SporTV 1, as they both also run those one hour replays only to fill time when no live games/talk shows/news programs are on. There are also additional premium Premiere channels in Brazil, like BEIN Sports Connect. It looks like those are what Sling plans to add. All of these channels are owned by Globosat, which is Globo's sat/cable division. Hopefully, when Sling adds Premiere, they will also convert PFC Internacional to HD. It is a really good channel in terms of content, and merits the image quality improvement.

As to why PFC Internacional has that name instead of "SporTV Internacional," my guess is to avoid confusion with "Sport TV," which is a sat/cable channel from Portugal that also had a North American version, "Sport TV Americas" until 2016. It was carried on Dish in the U.S., which also has PFC Internacional. My guess is that Portugal and the U.S. are the two most important markets for PFC Internacional.

7. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Just to clarify, the additional Premiere channels in Brazil are kind of like BEIN Sports Connect in that they have programming just for games and are not 24 hour channels.

Also, sometimes Globo International shows games from SporTV 1 that are not on Globo in Brazil. When that happens, PFC almost always has one of the other games from the Premiere channels, so you can choose which game to watch. It is really well thought out.

8. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Very good synopsis of Premiere and SportTV channels, thank you!

9. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    According to the DirecTV EPG on GolTV channel 468, it shows the Brasileirao games starting on Saturday August 8th 12 noon Pacific time, there are other games on that day and Sunday.
    The DirecTV channel is in Spanish don't know if they also have the rights in English.

10. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The channel is actually in both languages. The default audio is now Spanish (ironically labeled as English in SAP), and you can switch to English by selecting Spanish. The default language used to be English, and thus it used to make sense. "GolTV English" and "GolTV Spanish" as listed in the streaming services are not really separate channels, as they always have the same programming. The only difference is the audio feed, which DirecTV accomplishes via SAP. Of course, it's still in unwatchable SD on DirecTV.

The schedule on the GolTV website is blank for Saturday and Sunday. Fanatiz, which is usually good about it's schedule, doesn't have any Brazilian matches listed under future games... so I guess we'll see.

11. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    While we're on the topic of Brazil, the final leg of the Copa do Nordeste featuring Bahia and Ceará is airing tomorrow (Tuesday, 4 Aug) night @8:30 est for free on Youtube.

If you want to watch Saturday's first leg without spoilers:

12. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    This is why I switched to the Spanish language package on AT&T TV Now. GolTV is in HD on AT&T TV Now, as it is on Fubo TV. Most of the other Spanish language channels on AT&T TV Now are in HD too, while they are still in SD on DirecTV.

And Sling TV has still not added Premiere or SBT Internacional. Nor has Sling TV converted PFC Internacional to HD. Perhaps COVID is delaying things. Or, maybe it is Globo's involvement in the broadcast rights dispute?

13. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    You are correct both English and Spanish languages available, yes picture quality is horrible.

14. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Nothing beats free;)

15. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schedule on GolTV website is showing 6 live Uruguayan League games this weekend. (Including el clasico on Sunday.) No Brazilian games.

16. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well...that's bizarre. Zap2it also has the same listings. Could be a glitch but we'll see...

17. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    I guess we have to wait and see................

18. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    #43 Marius Tresor, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    "SBT America Internacional" is now live in HD on Sling. Nice HD image! Program guide just shows "SBT Regularly Scheduled Programming" for now. They are showing a novela now, but they had Fla-Flu a couple of weeks ago in Brazil. We shall see if they have any other soccer. I do like their nightly news program, with good soccer highlights and coverage.

Globo Internacional is showing Corinthians-Palmeiras live in HD from Globo/SporTV in Brazil.

PFC Internacional is showing Gremio-Inter live in SD from Premiere in Brazil. But the SD image looks better than before.

The additional Premiere channels have not showed up yet on Sling.

Redbullsnation2012 and daniloni repped this.
  19. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    The GOL TV listing is an error. That listing has been populating randomly since Gol had the rights and it still has populated for a few years since Gol stopped with the rights. You probably just didn't notice it in the past but it shows up every now and then.

PFC International is an SD channel only. It won't change to HD on Sling because it only exists as SD.

I received the Fanatiz email and will have to check to see if the games will be HD or SD and if the games are on demand. Basically since Fanatiz lost Chile, the service has been poor. First, Argentina and BeIN are the only on demand content. Second, if you A<->B the image quality of Fanatiz with Sling or IPTV (including downloading games from various sources that record HD) for Libertadores you will see that Fanatiz looks like junk. Fanatiz blames the stream they receive but that's not true. I sent them samples to show the difference and they said they'd look into it (never did). But, if Fanatiz has a true HD image and on demand then that service could be good because PFC on Sling is going to be SD.

21. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    #46 Marius Tresor, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    All PFC Internacional programming is produced in HD. It is all from SporTV in Brazil, which is broadcast in HD, or games from Premiere, which are in HD in Brazil. The PFC Internacional channel in the USA is downscaled from true HD to 480p. I am not sure how it is transmitted from Globosat in Brazil to providers in the USA, Portugal, and any other countries. But since overseas providers all seem to carry it in SD, it seems that it may be downscaled by Globosat. That could easily change since the programming is native HD. I hope it does.

Right now, Sling has these Brazilian channels:

Globo HD
    SBT HD
    Record HD
    Band HD
    PFC Internacional SD
    Band News SD
    Globoplay App Access - Includes GloboNews HD live from Brazil, plus other Globosat programs on demand, from MultiShow, GNT, and other Globosat sat/cable channels in Brazil.

So, the top 4 over the air channels (Globo, SBT, Record, Band) the top 2 news channels (GloboNews, Band News), and the top sports channel (PFC (SporTV) Internacional). Not bad. I wonder if there is another country that has such comprehensive international exposure. I know that some are close, like India, Argentina, and Mexico, but not quite as complete, although there are a lot more total channels available from India.

Dish has the same linear channels (not sure about Globoplay app access), but only Globo is in HD on Dish satellite. I am not sure if some Dish receivers can access the Sling HD versions of those channels via the Internet.

22. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just added it on Fanatiz. Watching Confinaca-Parana. It's in HD, but it's very jumpy as far as the frame rate. You get a one week free trial, but there's no discount if you already have an account. It's $7.99 per month regardless.

23. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Is that just PFC Internacional that was added? Or all the Premiere channels? PFC Internacional is showing that game now.

24. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't show Premiere or PFC under the "channels" tab (yet?). Under games they have all Brazilian Serie A and Serie B games this weekend listed.

25. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Is there a "PFC" (green)
    "Ao Vivo"
    Or "Premiere" (green) icon in the upper right of the screen?