Brazilian Politics

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by Century's Best, Jun 14, 2013.

1. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Bolsonaro 2018/2022 Mourao 2026/2030 Bolsonaro Jr 2034/2038

let's get rid of the left and the "Centrao"

2. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I ********ing love Mourao. I'm not fully confident in a bolsonaro victory yet... I'm hoping

samuel_clemens repped this.
  3. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @Mengão86 Thoughts on the 2nd rd? You think Bolsonaro will take it?

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I’d bet money on it tbh.

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    My family in the Sudeste for the most part voted Bolsonaro. My father in law here in Recife voted Ciro but told me he’s going Bolsonaro in the segundo turno. I think most people are tired of the PT than some past comments from Bolsonaro.

6. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    this was one thing i was watching. didn't like 24 percent of PE vote null? Hopefully they don't just vote PT out of routine when they go this time.

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I didn’t see the number for that, but I know Bolsonaro won Recife, but the rest of the state went PT. Actually I know more people here that voted Ciro than Haddad.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Anybody against Lula's lawyer ? No brainer.

Two bad choices in my view. But what else is new ...

9. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The overwhelming majority of my relatives and friends whom I speak to on FB support Bolsonaro. Those who supported anybody else either said nothing - or maybe they didn't vote.

These are people who are middle-class or upper-middle-class and several of whom have been robbed at gunpoint and/or been victims of the corruption and inefficiency that make honest Brazilians suffer. They are tired of paying taxes and sending their kids to expensive private schools only to run the risk of having them kidnapped, and struggling with all that folgado-ness and entitlement (the latter comes w/ millenials and the expansion of leftist ideology, Cultural Marxism, and "we are oppressed, we want reparations in the form of racial quotes in schools" crowd).

They are not racist, they are not fascist, they are not sexist (this includes female relatives and friends), and they are not bigoted.

But they are sick and tired of PT thievery and lying; they are sick and tired of bullcrap and inefficiency and lack of public security.

I feel bad for them. I live in the U.S. and my life doesn't have those problems. But if I were there, I'd be just as pissed off as they are.

Bolsonaro Presidente.

BTW, the Trump parallel is deserved. An outsider who says what people think but lack the spine to do. No wonder Brazil was far safer and more stable in the years of military rule. I'm not saying I want the army in charge, but I do say that perhaps a country like Brazil needs a strongman leader who will get things done and who is willing to piss people off along the way. Democracy works when the population is in general willing to follow laws. That's why it works (for the most part) in the U.S., Canada, Germany (before the migrants arrived), Switzerland. In these countries, you break the law, you pay. Brazil needs that. The PT scum who stole millions only reinforced the cultural of impunity.

I support Bolsonaro just as I support Trump and on October 28, it's going to be a happy evening.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Crime in Brazil IMO has been an evolution with time and growth IMO rather than a factor of the the type of Government. The 70s and 80s were plenty dangerous.

But I guess a brutal dictator can make things safe. Saddam Hussein being a perfect example. The downside is torture of innocent people who merely just oppose the Government. Oh yeah, and Military doesn't really know how to run an economy. At least it doesn't look like that's what Bolsonaro's plan is with regards to economy unless he pulls a Collor.

11. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I never said it was a factor of the type of government. But the government's policies do have an effect.

Look at how Barack Obama's criticism of police and the rabid anti-police rhetoric from groups like Black Lives Matter affected cops in the United States. They were demoralized to the extent the FBI conducted studies whose results showed local police departments began to withdraw from high-crime areas because of the open hostility they faced and the risk of shooting a person of color and the highly likely wave of condemnation that would bring.

This de-policing led to higher crime rates, which were steadily declining for years.

A horrible comparison, because Bolsonaro isn't going to become Hussein. Not even the generals were like him.

But since you bring up the deceased Iraqi president, I'll say this.

The historical track record shows that as long as Iraqis toed the line and obeyed laws, they were free to live their lives. To marry, to go to school (including women), to watch sports, to have businesses, to sell and to buy. Iraq wasn't a concentration camp. Until 1991, Iraq had one of the Arab world's highest standards of living.

The 1991 and 2003 wars changed all that.

Torture already exists in Brazil. It's the honest, law-abiding, and taxpaying citizens who are tortured emotionally and psychologically daily by bandidos who think they own the country and who get away with murder (literally). If Bolsonaro has to bruise a few bodies (not killing necessarily) to make sure the bandidos (the hundreds of thousands of them) who rape, kidnap, stab, shoot, murder, and rob for a few reais understand they must change their ways, God bless him.

I have had family members robbed at gunpoint more than once and a friend of my father had 4 punks invade his house and torture and shoot him for a few reais. In America those murderers would be looking at life in prison or at least a few decades. In Brazil they'll be out in a few years ready to murder more innocents. But my father's friend's family will still be without their father/husband/provider.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #362 celito, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018

You're saying it's not a factor, but then it seems like you're implying it is. You said Brazil was more stable and safer during Military rule. So I am a bit confused.

It wasn't a comparison. It was just an extreme example.

I am confused again, you just repeated what I said. He kept the country relatively safe through fear. The tradeoff is he tortured and killed people who weren't necessarily criminals. Not it wasn't a concentration camp, but there were plenty of innocent people who did suffer at his hands.

I was robbed twice (once at gunpoint) myself in the 80s. And I lived in one of the best neighborhoods of Sao Paulo mind you. I also remember arrastões in buildings back then. So like I said, it was also pretty bad back then. I do agree the law needs to be stricter and enforced better. I think we agree on that. I just hope there isn't overcompensation. And we talk about bandidos and etc ... but you know very well that the police in Brazil are no saints. Many of them are corrupt as fuk. I've had some light experience with Policia Federal at customs in the airport.

13. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'd support a military coup over the governments we've had so far in the New Republic, straight up. I still have memories of how things used to be in the late 80s. Brazil was a much safer, happier and decent country back then. Then only good thing to come out of the Civil governments since 1989 was Plano Real.

14. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I must be in the minority of people that support Bolsonaro based on his platform and not simply on anti-Petismo.

Things I'm looking forward to if he's elected:

Overhaul of the criminal code lowering age of responsibility to 14 years old. Penal Labor.

End Affirmative action. Ban gender identity theory, ban elementary school LGBT classes and similar marxist pseudo-sciences.

Sterilization for the bolsa-familia crowd. I'm glad that Flavio Bolsonaro has brought this up. This has to happen or we'll eventually become 50% favela. It's not forced btw. If you don't want to be sterilized you can get off the dole.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Like I said, Sao Paulo and Rio were still plenty dangerous back then. The other cities like Recife, Fortaleza and etc ... are the ones that used to be safer and got a whole lot worse over the years.

The military government drove Brazil into incredible debt that ended into the lost decade of the 90s with hyperinflation. And that's without being financially corrupt.

16. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    You were referring to type of government. I was referring to government policy.

The U.S. example is relevant insofar the fact that the type of government the U.S. has did not change from Obama to Trump; the U.S. was and is still a constitutional republic with a legislative branch and a high court. But the policy towards law enforcement has changed; Obama was known to make statements critical of the police which those left-wing groups such as BLM took as encouragement. Trump from his candidacy, in contrast, supported law enforcement; he mentioned "law and order" at the RNC convention, and both Border Patrol and myriad police departments support him. Border Patrol officially endorsed him, which was the first time it ever did that.

But if Bolsonaro isn't going to turn into Hussein and Brazil won't have the torture cells Ba'ath Iraq had, then it's an irrelevant example.

Fear of what - of murder and torture, or fear of superior force dished out by the agents of the state?

The problem is that a lot of Brazilians have no respect for laws and surely not much for police. The mentality needs to change but that takes a very long time. Until that change has happened, harsh measures are necessary and that includes laws being enforced against those who think committing crimes is fine, especially given crimes have victims.

Yes, crime existed in then. And as bad as it was, it's gotten worse.

A lot of people are just sick and tired. And that includes even homosexuals who support Bolsonaro despite charges he hates the LGBT community.

Women voted for him en masse as well despite claims he's sexist; I speculate the fact women are easier to rob/assault/mug, in general, than men are has to do with that. A gun or knife-wielding criminal can intimidate both genders, but if a large man threatens a small woman with a beating if she won't turn over her purse and if he's got no weapons, an average man can at least try fighting back. Most women can't and don't; rare is the woman who knows BJJ or muay thai and who kicks the crap of an unarmed mugger, regardless of what those YouTube videos show.

17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I may not necessarily go that far, but I insist Brazil needs something new. People are exhausted with the combination of crime and corruption. If both were low, the bad economy, as bad as it is, would still be a problem; but when one struggles to pay the bills, has crooked politicians who suck the people dry, and they can barely go to the padaria or to church or to work because they may get stabbed or shot for a few reais, life can be difficult.

As horrifying as the third one is - if you have millions of impoverished people without education living together, are those people ever going to turn into educated middle-class folks? I fully recognize their humanity, but the painful truth is that certain pockets of the population do not contribute and rather simply consume. They are people who require a "custodial state" and Brazil with all its issues can't afford to do it.

18. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Most people attribute the rising crime in Rio from 1980s and onward to then Governor Brizola's policy declared the favelas a no go zone. It was during that time when Narcos really took over the city.

19. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    beyond a certain threshold, not even first world Western countries can afford it.
    Even the ultra liberal Macron in France has admitted that as recently as last year:

“The problems Africa face today are completely different … and are ‘civilisational’,” Mr Macron told a reporter from former French colony Ivory Coast. “What are the problems? Failed states, complex democratic transitions and extremely difficult demographic transitions.”

He said that although France, a former colonial power that controlled dozens of territories across Africa, accepted responsibility to help with infrastructure, education and heath, a “simple money transfer” was not the answer.

“It’s by a more rigorous governance, a fight against corruption, a fight for good governance, a successful demographic transition when countries today have seven or eight children per woman,” Mr Macron added.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...even-eight-children-colonialism-a7835586.html

20. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I support all of this.

21. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Amy Chua, the Chinese-American Tiger Mom writer who raised her children with exceedingly rigorous standards but who ultimately produced very successful young adults, wrote a book named "World On Fire" several years ago.

Among the ideas Chua speaks of in her book is the difference between western countries like the United States, Great Britain, Canada, and Germany, which despite their unique characteristics and cultural differences nonetheless share fundamental and pivotal similarities.

These include an old tradition of the rule of law, a citizenry which generally respects laws, and forms of capitalism and representative government (democracy) which have grown over time and have through experience been enhanced, improved, shaped, and chiseled.

Chua then refers to what I can traditional societies - countries in Africa, the Middle East, and parts of Asia. These were countries with starkly different cultures and ideological heritages. They were tribal and had hierarchies, and notions such as equality before the law, the social obligation to abstain from vigilante justice and to instead depend on state institutions for problem resolution, and of course, capitalism were either non-existent or generations behind the nations of the west. They were often rife with ethnic rivalries.

Once the formerly existing governments (often authoritarian) were removed, well-intentioned but ignorant westerners then instilled or attempted to instill very raw forms of representative democratic government and capitalism to those countries - places where these two institutions simply had no precedent.

This meant capitalism w/o the anti-trust laws, the regulations, etc. of the west and "democracy" without electoral colleges or electoral oversight or such that western countries had long grown accustomed to.

The result were outbreaks of sectarian violence, cronyism, and corruption where a tiny few would amass fabulous wealth while the "99%" would be mired in shocking poverty. Not to mention the use of state power to favor one "tribe" over another.

Not all cultures are the same, and some cultures adapt to western institutions better than others. South Korea, Singapore, Japan, and Taiwan are all unique and differ from each other besides culture and language, but they too were and still are "traditional societies." But over time, to varying extents, they have proven that within their socio-cultural and historical contexts, they could successfully absorb and assimilate western institutions while creating systems based on the rule of law (although in some ways here or there there are still lagging points vis-a-vis western Europe or the United States).

I say all this to make the point that as great as it is to have laws and institutions, the people need to follow them and there has to be accountability. Laws in Brazil are not weak or bad (although some are questionable). But why do even not-too-educated Brazilian immigrants who move to America vow never to return? Is it because they hate Brazil? No, it's because once experiencing life in a first-world country where things work as they should, they see what can be achieved. They don't want to experience the "old" again.

If Jair Bolsonaro wins on Oct. 28, Brazil won't turn into a southern U.S.A. or Canada in 5 or 10 years. No realistic person expects that. But Bolsonaro would at least attempt to make changes to lead the country in the right direction.

In closing - I never thought I'd acknowledge any good deeds by Augusto Pinochet, whose military rule had many victims. But today Chile is the most orderly and socially advanced nation in South America. It may not be at the level of Canada or Switzerland, but the system there works. It has some social problems common to South America, but I do believe that if Pinochet hadn't taken power, Chile wouldn't be where it is today (as much as I feel for the way he and his men disposed of Salvador Allende, who himself in his own ways wanted to help his people and his nation).

22. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The core of culture and civilization is human intelligence and east Asians have the highest average IQ on the planet (second only to Ashkenazi Jews who are not a real race). That's the reason Japan and others were able to transition from medieval culture to modern in about 30 years.

You're right that Bolsonaro won't be able to reform Brazil in 4 to 8 years. That's why I mentioned a few posts above I wanted nationalists to rule Brazil until 2038 (at the very least). We need permanent birth control policy focused on classes D and E. If done right, the third world can become first world in a couple of generations.

In a future with self driving cars, 3D printing and AI , people with whose IQs are in the 70s and 80s will be marginalized (more than they already are).

If you talk to a leftist about that they call you a Nazi, even though they look up to communist China with it's 1 child policy and promote abortion.

23. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    ESPN Brasil on Suicide watch:

Em outubro de 1998, quando o ditador de pijama estava preso em Londres, o técnico do Palmeiras saiu em sua defesa. O treinador se chamava Luiz Felipe Scolari. Menos de quatro anos mais tarde, seria campeão mundial com a seleção brasileira, pela qual tentará o hexa em 2014. Felipão era peixe pequeno. Quem se relacionou com o ditador foi outro brasileiro, João Havelange, capo da Fifa. Eis a notícia distribuída pela Agência Folha sobre Scolari:

O técnico Luiz Felipe Scolari, do Palmeiras, conhecido por seu jeito autoritário, elogiou o ex-ditador chileno Augusto Pinochet, preso em Londres, na Inglaterra.

Em entrevista à ''Rádio Jovem Pan'', de São Paulo, Scolari disse que ''Pinochet fez muita coisa boa também''. ''Ajeitou muitas coisas lá (no Chile). O pessoal estava meio desajeitado. Ele pode ter feito uma ou outra retaliaçãozinha aqui e ali, mas fez muito mais do que não fez'', afirmou o treinador.

Sobre os métodos do ex-ditador chileno, que resultaram em tortura e morte de milhares de pessoas, Scolari disse que ''há determinados momentos que ou o pessoal se ajeita ou a anarquia toma conta''.

[​IMG]

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's a good point about Asian cultures. For Brazil to improve you'd need a sustained investment from outside and a willing and competent population (in the lower classes) with the proper basic education.

As for the last comment, the leftist of today, what people refer to as liberals, don't want communism so that's a bit irrelevant.

25. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They are in Brazil.

This is Haddad's Vice President Manuela D'Avila:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]