Brazilian Politics

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by Century's Best, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    OK guys, you do have valid points. I read comments on UOL… and these are surely thought-provoking.

Taí Lula & Dilma e companhia - criaram e alimentaram as cobras com bolsas tudo pagas com os impostos dos que realmente trabalham e agora segurem o rojão....isto é só o começo......

A Copa é um bom momento para o mundo saber também o que o governo "está fazendo com a gente", pequenos empresários legalizados, que já não aguentamos mais tantos impostos e encargos! Tudo para sustentar "bolsas-voto", corrupção, desvios de verba, altíssimos salários dessa gente e por aí vai...

A saúde pública no DF não recebe os investimentos devidos há vários anos. Aliado a esse descaso, os municípios do entorno, que estão em condições bem piores, encaminham seus pacientes para os superlotados hospitais do DF. Os Governos Distrital e Federal têm ciência desse fato e nada fazem!!! O povo está morrendo em corredor de hospital sucateado enquanto BILHÕES são gastos com o circo montado para os GRANDES EVENTOS!!!

e Amanhã terá protesto aqui em Belo Horizonte também, brasileiros acordem, dinheiro pra fazer rodovias decentes, melhor a saúde, a educação e a segurança pública o Brasil não tem , mas pra gastar mais de 1 bilhão de reais em um estádio de futebol dinheiro surge igual àgua. Um bom exemplo disso é o estádio de Brasília, dinheiro jogado fora, depois que passar a copa esse estádio vai valer de que????

O engraçado é que o governo não tem dinheiro para investir em coisas que tragam retorno para o povo, como saúde e transporte. Precisam aumentar a passagem de ônibus para acompanhar a inflação. Não tem dinheiro para investir em infraestrutura dos portos e aeroportos para facilitar o escoamento dos produtos, mas só neste estádio de Brasília (justo lá), foram gastos 1,5 bilhões. O governo ainda ajudou as emissoras de televisão a financiarem a transmissão dos jogos pagando para a FIFA. E todo este dinheiro é nosso, dos nossos altíssimos impostos, que deveriam voltar para nós em forma de serviços públicos, mas aonde um estádio se encaixa em serviço público? Até que enfim o povo brasileiro está acordando... Espero que estes protestos avancem para a Revolução, e não para a Revolta.

Vergonha...vergonha mesmo. Vou reescrever o que o amigo "disse": brasileiro é otário e vai morrer otário. Aqui em Brasília, roubar é como beber água, andar, respirar...tudo normal. Chega! Tem sim que partir para pneus!!! Chega de sermos roubados. Gasolina a R$ 3,20. Aluguel de uma kit custando mais de R$ 1.200,00...Passagem cara e ônibus sucateados em plena Capital Federal. Capital sendo maquiada para inglês ver. Esse COPA NÃO É NOSSA!

Justíssimo os protestos, enfim o país acorda para a realidade mundial que protesta como dá e preciona o poder público para que invista na população nos setores de educação, cultura, infraestrutura e saúde. Vamos usar a copa a nosso favor e protestar, já que de fato não restará muita coisa como benfeitoria. só sobrarão GIGANTES para sustentarmos. quem lucrará serão os amigos do rei que vão usufriur e ganhar muita grana nestas arenas. resta ao povo gastar seu dinheiro com ingressos.

So my question to you guys who are more attuned to the political realities of Brazil… what’s the relationship between these MST elements and PT? And while Lula’s presidential years saw the socioeconomic lot of many people improve, what’s your take on government-sponsored/subsidized/paid for programs of social assistance? Cestas básicas, Fome Zero, etc? They sound great and humanitarian – but at what point within the realities of Brazilian society does it begin to create a culture of entitlement? (Entitlement is a huge problem in the US underclass – I won’t get started, but boy does it make me angry…)

Santista1962 repped this.
  2. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Let the ********ers bitch all they want.

The nation can not fall hostage to some lazy assholes who want free handouts at the cost of national progress.

The money created for the stadiums and infrastructures to be used for four big international tournaments created, and are still creating, tens of thousands of jobs and will help bring in millions of tourists into the nation.

More tourists, more money coming in and more jobs are created in order to accomodate visitors and construction of new facilities that help deal with the number of people coming in.

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Let's take this to NSR.

To be clear - how protests affect games at the Confed Cup are a subject that makes sense in this thread. A more big picture discussion on why people protest and so on is only going to derail it.

Mengão86 repped this.
  4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  5. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I had to close this URL really quickly because it contains the photograph of a scantily clad woman who has extremely nice curves - from the back. As for the story itself... my question is, then: is prostitution legal in Brazil?

6. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes. It is in most Western countries, afaik. Pimping however is illegal and that's an important distinction (although it obviously doesn't fix the problems with the industry or prevent pimping in the first place).

7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I don't disagree with the gist of your message - but where do we draw the line between making sure people don't get freebies and don't get used to getting freebies vs. ensuring that the state uses tax revenue in a manner that is socially responsible and that demonstrates a concern w/ the welfare of citizens?

This is the preamble of the 1988 Constitution:

Nós, representantes do povo brasileiro, reunidos em Assembléia Nacional Constituinte para instituir um Estado Democrático, destinado a assegurar o exercício dos direitos sociais e individuais, a liberdade, a segurança, o bem-estar, o desenvolvimento, a igualdade e a justiça como valores supremos de uma sociedade fraterna, pluralista e sem preconceitos, fundada na harmonia social e comprometida, na ordem interna e internacional, com a solução pacífica das controvérsias, promulgamos, sob a proteção de Deus, a seguinte CONSTITUIÇÃO DA REPÚBLICA FEDERATIVA DO BRASIL.

Granted, this is only the preamble. But if the preamble alone states that the well-being and development of a fraternal society is one of the goals of Brazil's law of the land, then what decides what % of public funds goes to the poor and what % goes to public hospitals and schools, police departments, emergency services, roads and railways, etc?

8. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You follow drugs, you get drug addicts and drug dealers. But you start to follow the money, and you don't know where the ******** it's gonna take you. - "The Wire"

9. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    And what part of the money used is not for the well-being and development of our "fraternal society"?

We have a Confederations Cup, World Cup, Summer Olympics and Copa America, all in the span of seven years.

When we are trying to take cue and suggestions from the uneducated and stupid, we are in serious trouble. People like that can't even see two inches beyond their nose, never mind the world.

Understand this: there will always be that 1% that will try to shit over something and screw the other 99%. The shitheads on the streets going about this aren't even the .01% so that preamble doesn't even apply. When I see riots committed by thousands of people in multiple cities, only then will I start to worry.

I guarantee you most people in Brazil see this next seven years as a golden opportunity to have lots of income and revenue shower them from overseas while keeping the costs down with the reusage of the facilities being built.

This is merely getting attention because this assholes, this very few assholes, did it in front of a venue for an upcoming tournament. Get the PM and we will see how strong their convictions are when they face a force just as decided as they are.

In the meanwhile, the rest of us forward-thinking people will enjoy and reap the benefits that will come from this progress-in-the-making.

Again: football is a good way to invest in people and we should be transforming our atrociously-organized football system into one based on divisions to drastically lower fixtures, injuries and increase attendances and the level of play. All of that equals to more income.

Also, investing and forming ties between clubs and schools, both primary and secondary, would do wonders for communities all over the nation.

10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Santista1962 - I'd like to know where you've come across people who thought this would be a golden opportunity. Most people I've seen are complaining about all the public money going into the Cup and not in health care, education and security.

Billy South Philly repped this.
  11. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    There was a group that were giving the prostitutes free English lessons to prepare for all the visitors.

12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    [​IMG]
    I saw someone posted this on Facebook...

13. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    How about those assholes simply boycott attending anything to do with the football tournaments that will go on in Brazil?

All that money wasted on those signs should have been used to feed their families if they are that anal about "public money". After all, they are wasting their own money to buy all of those combustibles, papers and signs...

All that time wasted pulling this crap should have been used to go find a job like any responsible jobless citizen would do.

All that planning that went into doing this stupidity should have been used to grab a book, learn a new skill or even both.

Yeah...a waste of money, time and brain cells done in part of the idiots who want freebies because they decided to fail at life and get a bunch of brats they can't support or, worse, they are too ********in' lazy to get off the couch, rock, crack, etc. and do some productive...

Better yet, how about they get the ******** out of Brazil if they don't like what is going on? Go to Argentina, Bolivia, whatever...just get the ******** out! See how it works elsewhere.

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Santista1962, I'm all for using one's finances with as much wisdom as possible. Having said that, you're making a few assumptions here. How do you know that the protesters are so destitute that they spent their last reais on the signs and tires and fuel to start the fires?

I'm opposed to freebies. But you're not addressing the issue here. There is corruption in every country and Brazil is included. The people in charge have not done a professional job of managing the funds allocated to build stadiums or to renovate existing stadiums. What about the transportation, hotels, etc?

You've addressed none of the concerns voice on the sign that was posted above. You've just called out those protesters for being lazy. I'm sure some are. And there is a problem with the culture in Brazil - studying isn't exactly rewarded nor encouraged.

Getting out of Brazil is an option many have taken. Go to Newark, NJ on any day - to the Ironbound section - you'll come across many Brazilians who have no papers to be in the USA legally. I'll bet many faced dangers and perils to even get to where they now live. Do they not miss Brazil? Do they not miss the abundance of local foods (Brazilian markets abroad are great but they're not replacements for what's available back in Brazil, obviously)? Do they not miss their relatives or parents - because they're illegals in America they can't travel abroad because if they do they can't come back?

Please address the concerns. Hotels? Security? Transportation? Desvia de divisas? Corruption? Or are you just going to put on your ultra-nationalistic hat and tell people to leave Brazil?

I admire your love for Brazil and Brazilian soccer, but your stance is akin to the viewpoints held by some Americans who want anybody to voices the slightest criticism of what's happening in the US to leave the country. I do admire the many honest Brazilian administrators, employees, and workers of all stripes who in the 1980s and 1990s knew Brazil had issues AND had the option to leave - but stayed behind to build a better Brazil. The Brazil of 2013 is indisputably a better and more modern and advanced society than the Brazil I knew as a child in the early 1980s and I'm proud of that. But to say that there aren't issues that need to be addressed is wrong. Or do you say Romario - who WON a World Cup for us - should leave Brazil given how critical he is of CBF and the WC preparations?

Ombak, Billy South Philly and celito repped this.
  15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Guess what they are asking for ? Education and health infrastructure. You seem to imply they are asking for "freebies". What you are doing is what right wing Fox News Americans do. Imply that everyone who is not happy is just looking for free handouts.

I'd like to see that study.

You mean use force against peaceful protesters. You should be ashamed by that statement.

It is beneficial, if it's done without enough corruption. But given our history, it's not a surprise that people are skeptical and don't believe the money generated from these events will trickle down to better conditions. Not to mention the fact that public money was used to build some stadiums that will clearly turn into white elephants and will not see ROI.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    My view is that with any social program you're going to have a percentage of free riders. But there are many kids that grow up with social welfare assistance and end up succeeding in life. You just have to accept that as part of the system. It's always easier to point at the free riders as opposed to looking at the ones who have put those benefits to good use and actually make contributions to society. I would love to see some studies made as to the percent success of such programs. But I believe that's very hard to accomplish.

A second unintended (or intended depending on how you want to look at it) goal of these programs is that it probably keeps a certain level of social order. I believe, and I may be wrong, that at some level it keeps some people from turning to crime in order to survive. Obviously this works a lot better in the US than in Brasil.

NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  17. OnTheWayOfDamascus

Oct 26, 2010
    it is looks like a big rejection...

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A little political "comedy".

[​IMG]

OnTheWayOfDamascus repped this.
  19. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For our fellow gringos:

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ironic that this is happening against the Government that gives freebies to the poor people to buy their votes. Proof that the people don't want freebies. They want better conditions to work, better pay, and less corruption.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ah the irony ...

[​IMG]

One was part of a Military Government that conducted torture and the other was tortured by that same Government.

22. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Why are kids in Campinas burning sh1t to the ground?? wtf is going on with these wanna leftwing extremists.

What is this?? #OccupyBrasil

Santista1962 repped this.
  23. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
  24. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro