Brazilian Marco Aurelio is now Portuguese

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Brazilian Marco Aurelio is now a portuguese citizen, his been one of the best portuguese keepers in the last 7 years, is not his attention to be called to the national team, but if it happens he wouldn't say no

GUARDIÃO OBTÉM DUPLA NACIONALIDADE
    Marco Aurélio já é português

D.R./Record

Marco Aurélio

O guarda-redes do Belenenses, Marco Aurélio, já é português. O jogador brasileiro obteve a dupla nacionalidade e deixa em aberto a possibilidade de vir a fazer parte das escolhas de Luiz Felipe Scolari para a Selecção Nacional.

“Não foi esse o meu objectivo, nem penso nisso, mas se o seleccionador nacional precisar de mim pode contar comigo”, afirmou o veterano guardião, de 34 anos, considerado como um dos melhores da SuperLiga na sua posição.

Data: Quarta-Feira, 20 de Outubro de 2004 13:13:00

2. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    He proves himself time and again as one of the top in Portugal. I doubt that he will be called up. :)

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    by far one of the top 5 keepers in the portuguese league

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I also like the other brazilian keeper Helton at Leiria, but he already played with the Brazilian Olympic team, and is not eligible

5. Briosa a frente

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    Is this then an indicator of Team Portugals other problem in the sence that we don't have depth at the keeper position.

6. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Well if he is eligible to play, then I don't see why Scolari wouldn't call him up but then again we already have a fine goalkeeper in Moreira that should be called up.

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I'm one of few portuguese not sold on Moreira,

8. Briosa a frente

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    I want to say that between the two (Ricardo or Moreira) I would pick Moreira. but that is not saying much. :eek:

9. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Marco Aurelio is 34 years old...so if age isn't a factor then Baia should be on the team.

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Baia lost two years of been the portuguese national team keeper , because of Scolari

but wouldn't change my opinion, I still want Scolari to be the coach

11. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    At this age, Aurelio will not be an option on the NT. If he was included, then it would be that much more clearer that Baia, who is a tad older but way better than Aurelio, is not being called back because of what happened in WC 2002.

12. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    how can anyone consider Marco Aurelio to be called up to NT?

13. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    ...And you're a Benfica fan!!! :eek: How can you say this Frank. ;) But seriously, if it comes down to Ricardo or Moreira, I have to pick Moreira. Hell, I would put a chicken (get it? ;) ) in goal before #76.

14. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    never like Moreira from day 1, :cool

15. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    you're not goin' to heaven :D

16. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    What else does Moreira have to do besides winning the SuperLiga championship to prove himself? Last season Moreira was the reason Benfica advanced to the round of 16 in the UEFA Cup, and also Moreira had a huge game to help Benfica defeat sporting and move into second place.

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    some good games don't make him a great goalkeeper, I hope I can change my opinion by year's end

18. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    He is still very young and may win you over in a few years.

19. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think Geovanni had a lot more to do in helping SLB get past SCP into 2nd place last season :(

20. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA
    not look like hes tying his shoes when someone shoots one from midfield, that has to be the lamest goal ive ever seen in my life. Well Ricardo lettin in that goal from the italian corner kicker in the italy portugal friendly before the euro was fookin lame also. Anyone remember that ? Ive never seen the kicker score one from a corner kick before.

21. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Geovanni scored the winning goal, but the 0-0 up to that point can be credited to Moreira, who kept Benfica in the game until Geovanni scored.

22. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Moreira or Vitor Baia? I remember Vitor Baia kicking the ball forward, then adujusting his gloves, when the ball came down in midfield, a Maritimo player kicked the ball back at him, over his head, and in the goal. Funniest goal ever.

23. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    what? now brazilians want to be us . damn i guess its due to the popularity of big soccer. guys were famous i got people in my work on this site and i didnt even know. i feel alittle embarassed but happy i can chat with the knowledge i have for soccer. :)

24. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    Portugal always had a good tradition when he came to goalies. Presently and for what ever reason Baia is not being pick and I think that it is putting a lot of pressure in Ricardo. But I think, the future goes through Moreira, but I also like Bruno Vale who's not getting a shot at Porto

25. Briosa a frente

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    35 in 2006 37. that would be his age. I probably would not want him in net at that age. Therefore if I was the NT Coach I would enlist youger palyers to get them some playing time.