Brazilian Club to Support?

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Montréal United, Jun 11, 2003.

1. slipknotter

slipknotter New Member

May 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Rivaldo started out in a small club called Mogi Mirim. The town of Mogi Mirim is only an hour's drive from the city of São Paulo. Rivaldo transfered to Corinthians in 1993, alongside his Mogi Mirim teammate Leto, who never really was quite a hit as Rivaldo. I think Rivaldo transfered to cross-town rivals Palmeiras about a year or two later. And yes, R. Carlos got his start with Palmeiras as well.

2. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Didn't he start at União São João de Araras/SP?

3. MathuzaLem

MathuzaLem New Member

May 30, 2003
    SP, Brazil
    RC started in União São João de Araras, and after he went to palmeiras

4. slipknotter

slipknotter New Member

May 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I stand corrected. Didnt Oseas also get his start at USJ?

5. MathuzaLem

MathuzaLem New Member

May 30, 2003
    SP, Brazil
    I'm not sure about that, I just recall him in Atletico Paranaense eliminating my santos in a brazilian cup 1st round... I thing it was 1996, not sure...

6. Lex Bouvier

Lex Bouvier New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Minas Gerais
    What about the guys who was looking for information about brazilian clubs? They have already choose a side?

And about Oseas... he played for a short time in Uberlandia before transfer to Atletico-PR. But I don't know where he use to play before that.

7. salcisne

salcisne New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Now your problems are over !

You have only 2 options !

In Rio you must support America F.C (RJ) - www.america-rj.com.br

America was founded im 1904 , but has been struggling for the last 10 years. It´s a traditional team and won the Carioca´s league for 7 times. They have just build a new stadium three years ago and have been persecuted by the RJ-State federation (Caixa Dagua)
    It´s considered the second team of every carioca , and is 5th team of the State
    In the Brazilian National League we are at the 3rd division

In Sao Paulo , you only can choose Santos

8. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Welcome salcisne!

Hey welcome to the Bigsoccer, salcisne! Finally an americano fan in the boards! What do you think of posting pictures of América uniforms and former teams? Feel free to start an own América-RJ thread to post results, history and other news about the Diabo.

9. salcisne

salcisne New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Thank you for the welcome !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Our supporters as away visitors at Olaria Stadium during the third division. Tough games, small stadiums, and refrees allways against us !

10. salcisne

salcisne New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    [​IMG]
    With this team we finished in the 3rd place in the Brazilian first division in 1986
    [​IMG]

Our stadium...

11. GalaxyFoLife

GalaxyFoLife Member

Jul 16, 2002
    Hello fellow brazilians and soccer fans. i'm a new fan. i was just wondering which teams in Brazil are the most popular. could you rank them 1-5 or 1-10. i'm very interested in watching brazilian soccer. thanx.

12. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    According to the last PLACAR census in 2001 it's something like this:

http://placar.abril.com.br/aberto/rankings/torcidas/index.shtml

Rank Team %

1 Flamengo 20,9
    2 Corinthians 16,4
    3 São Paulo 8,9
    4 Palmeiras 8,9
    5 Vasco 8,4
    6 Cruzeiro 5,3
    7 Grêmio 4,3
    8 Santos 3,5
    9 Internacional-RS 3,4
    10 Fluminense 3,1
    11 Atlético-MG 2,7
    12 Botafogo 2,3
    13 Bahia 1,6

13. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Vasco da Gama

vasco has always been my favourite brazilian team

14. Montréal United

Montréal United New Member

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well Lex, I've choosen

I was pretty busy setting for losing all my premiership pools lately, so I hadn't time to come back to the forum.

Anyway, my curse is already working in full effect has I've chosen... Cruzeiro!!!

So, anybody supporting Santos can start celebrating right now as all the team I support never win any trophies (Cruzeiro won the Copa Brazil before I tagged along)

I like the fact that they are not from a famous city, that they have a good group of players and I also like the kit colors (no red for me).

Also, there's a link with St-Etienne as Alex, the man with the false passport who helped sank them to Ligue 2, joined the club.

Sorry to disappoint everybody that had a good work for their clubs, but that will make one more club represented on the boards

How about you MadridForLife? Made a choice yet?

15. vitor.cge.gdr

vitor.cge.gdr New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Brasil
    Your choice

#Flamengo is the most popular , but today this team isn't as good as 1980 when it won the Brasileirão, Libertadores and many others cups.
    #Santos has a good team, with many young players, but don't have many fans. Today it is the second team in Brazil.
    #Cruzeiro is, today, the best team in Brazil, is the leader of "Brasileirão", has the best team, and the best structure. But don't have so fans like it can have.

To the others posters, talk about the others teams!

Desculpas pelo meu inglês, mas é o máximo que consigo! hehehe
    Sorry, but i'm not american!

16. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    welcome vitor

Hey vitor.cg.gdr! Welcome to Bigsoccer!

Nothing to worry about your english, it's fine. Now we have enough Cruzeiro supporters to start their own Cruzeiro thread. How can you guys let there be only an Atlético-MG thread and not a Cruzeiro one? ;)

17. MadridForLife

MadridForLife New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    I think it is probably going to be Vasco. I thought about Palmeiras but they are not even in the top league so it is impossible to follow them. I am a big history buff in school so the ship in the badge and the name always hit me as pretty sweet so it is going to be Vasco. Also they are in one of the big cities so if I was ever to visit Brazil, it would be easy to catch a game.

Thanks a lot to everyone that chipped in to help me find a club.

18. MathuzaLem

MathuzaLem New Member

May 30, 2003
    SP, Brazil
    Vasco??? hey MIG tell him about Eurico!

19. vitor.cge.gdr

vitor.cge.gdr New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Brasil
    Hey MIGkiller
    thanks
    i will try to make a Cruzeiro's Thread

20. vitor.cge.gdr

vitor.cge.gdr New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Brasil
    Popular teams

There are the most popular teams in Brazil:
    (State) - (Team)
    São Paulo - Corintians
    Palmeiras
    São Paulo
    Santos
    Minas Gerais - Cruzeiro
    Atlético
    Rio de Janeiro - Flamengo
    Vasco
    Botafogo
    Fluminense
    Paraná- Atlético
    Coritiba
    Rio Grande do Sul - Grêmio
    Internacional

But you have many other teams in Brazil

21. Kevinho

Kevinho New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    suburbs of Chicago
    Cruzeiro?!!?? It's not too late to change your mind. I've been following the Corinthians since I was an exchange student to Brazil in '74 and lived with a family of sofredores (sufferers). Thank God for the web which now allows me to follow Brazilian soccer more closely.

22. Lex Bouvier

Lex Bouvier New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Minas Gerais
    Hey, Montréal United, if you want some material to know more about Cruzeiro E.C. (history, titles, fans, etc.), just ask me. I'll be glad to help you. The official site does not have content in english yet (or any other language than portuguese), but I know some others that have it

23. MadridForLife

MadridForLife New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    Brazilian Clubto Support?

I have been watching the Brazilian league and wanted to find a club to support. At first I sort of liked Vasco, but then I found out they are like the most hated side in Brazil. I would prefer a club in Sao Paulo or Rio, but might support a side from another part of the country. Thanks

24. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    **threads merged**

Thread merged with the one already running "Who to support?"

25. MadridForLife

MadridForLife New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    Just had a few questions. I know that Sao Paulo has some sort of link with Man U now. How big is it? Will we see some Sao Paulo players at Man U? They were the first club I started to pull for, but I won't support them if like all their young talent goes to Man U.

Also could someone give me some info on these clubs Sao Paulo, Palmeiras, Corinthians, Santos, Cruzeiro, Flamengo, and Fluminense.

Thanks