Brazil x Jamaica friendly - 10/12 in Leicester [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by CerezoElegance, Sep 26, 2003.

1. ThrashBoy

ThrashBoy New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Re: Re: Re: Viewing....

That's what soccertv.com says, but I'm starting to question their listing.

soccernet.com says the games starts at 10 a.m. Eastern, so the two sites I trust the most have conflicting times.

2. CerezoElegance

CerezoElegance New Member

Sep 26, 2003
    10 am seems more accurate - it kicks off 3 pm in England

3. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    Sun Oct 12 10:00AM Pacific
    Sun Oct 12 01:00PM Eastern
    Telemundo
    Brazil vs Jamaica

4. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've just woke up and turned on the TV.

HT: Brazil 1 x 0 Jamaica.

Goal by Roberto Carlos.

It looks like Jamaica watched the Bra x Ecu game and are playing with 10 players in defense. Nevertheless Brazil managed to score again. It doesn't seem to be a very good game for Brazil, by what I've heard so far.

5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's not live in the US. It's 10am EST, 11AM Brasilia, 3pm England.

But on TV it's 1pm on Telemundo

6. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've just watched some highlights of the 1st half. Brazil had some shots at goal.

What an awesome goal by Roberto Carlos!

The 2nd half starts.

7. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    First Half

Jamaica are playing in a 4-5-1 formation, a very compact team with a very tight defense. Brazil are controlling the pace of the game and slowing the tempo, trying to find space for a run or shot ball. Roberto Carlos scored from outside the box with a viciously spinning ball.

8. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wow! Did you see the goal that Brazil just missed thanks to Émerson?

He blows.

19' 2nd half - still 1 x 0

9. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    23'

Some subs:

Kaká, Émerson and Lúcio out.

Juninho Paulista, Juninho Pernambucano and Edmílson in.

Nice to see Émerson out. But why sack Kaká? :confused:

Ronaldo just missed an awesome goal!

10. Shatta

Shatta New Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Inglewood California
    Its one thing to play smart but its another to put 10 men behind the ball in a friendly.

This is totally inexcusable, no self respecting Jamaican can feel proud about their team playing "bitch ball" regardless of the score.

Funny it seems as if the local Jamaicans are the ones who have no fear while the "experienced set" from England seems over awed.

All this while our young talents languish in Jamaica

sigh

respects to Brazil for preserving the beautiful game

respect

11. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Good second half.

Certainly there is room for a player like Juninho Pernambucano. He is far better than (argh!) Emerson.

MVP: Roberto Carlos. He´s totally aware of his abilities and has the self-confidence to apply them to every situation.

12. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    FT: Brazil 1 x 0 Jamaica.

I had to go out and couldn't see the last 15 minutes of the game.

What I've seen of the 2nd half was a good match. Brazil pretty much controlled the game and passed the ball well. But they couldn't finish that much. Since we're talking about CAP, the usual side and back-passing were there again.

And please God take Émerson out of the team!

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-jamaicaresult&prov=reuters&type=lgns

13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    November 16th can't come soon enough.

Sure, it's a qualifier, so it'll be much more nerve-wracking, but I expect Peru to open up more than Ecuador and Jamaica and that should mean a much better game for Brazil as well.

Biggest positives today: Cafu and RC's involvement in the offense. Dida made a nice save on the only shot on goal I remember seeing from Jamaica.

14. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia

Émerson is not brazilian. ;)

15. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Peru certainly will. They want (and need) to win. I´m a little bit tired of seeing teams (like Jamaica) playing not to win but to not to lose - opponents that just hope for a close score, with ten men behind the ball for most of the game.

16. CerezoElegance

CerezoElegance New Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Got back from Leicester just less than 2 hours ago. Jamiaca seemed to have 9 camped in their own third of the field to me. Seen the goal on TV and it was better than I thought!!

17. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    dont worry peru will attack

autori knows our defence is suspect so we can let teams come at us at will

plus most of our starters are ofensive players

it should be a good open match

18. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    I only saw 15 minutes of this game. But the best part for me of what i saw was a shoulder to shoulder charge battle that lasted for 80 yeards I think it was on the right touch line. Cafu was the dribbler going shoulder to shoulder against a Jamacan. Holding grabing each other while day were doing it no calls made. What a fantastic should to shoulder battle that was never see it for that amount distance. That was really good.

Any you guys remember it?

19. ADIKeeper

ADIKeeper New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    What an amazing goal by R. Carlos! Has anyone found highlights of the game on the internet? I must see the goal again!

20. sukhjitsingh

sukhjitsingh New Member

I live in the UK, in Leicester and this was my perfect chance to see Brazil for the first time in the flesh. I arrived at the match 1hr 30 mins earlier and the atmosphere was great. I was surprised to see quite a few Brazil fans from Brazil as most on this board were calling it a nothing game. I couldn't believe I was late as all the Brazil flags had been sold out as I wanted one to get it signed at the end by the Brazil players. My brothers and friends waited until we got in the turnstiles for kick-off. We made it to our seat and many fans had video cameras and went to the balcony to take pictures of the players training, only for the stewards to remove them after a few minutes. Overall, the standard of the stewards and police were poor for this match. The match begun and I was sat in front of some Jamaican fans, with the loud noise of hooters (annoying yeh). Someone above me was a English and Leicester fan who kept slagging off Brazil (why did he turn up as he kept referring to the price he paid and expected some Brazil magic thus with them losing). The match was a dissapointing one with Brazil's passing the main observation and Jamaica having their odd great spells with Fuller craving through our defence. Eventually it was magic from Roberto Carlos that sprung the match into life and as CerezoElegance stated I didn't realise how good the goals was until I saw it at home on TV. As he said, Jamaica did seem to have a defence minded approach with Roberto Carlos having so much space on the left side. I was dissapointed with Rivaldo and Ronaldo. Ronaldo is my favourite player but he was just stood in one position each half and never went back to chase (maybe only once at the end), he doesn't seem fully fit, maybe we can forgive him in this friendly match and Rivaldo, well he has not played football for AC Milan so he was rusty aswell. I expected more goals, especially a rout like 5-0 but 1-0 was the final score so overall we won and it was a great day. Soon as the final whistle went, we jetted our way to the area where players would sign autographs when they came out to go on the coach. I was dissapointed to see a whole load of fans but I got my place and waited. First the Jamaican players came out, mostly youngsters who I never knew. Kevin Lisbie came out with someone and I let him go without getting his signature but my brother got it later. Eventually the Brazil players came out and I was surprised to see Edu of Arsenal, who was not even in the squad (he must have been a spectator). Credit to him though as he went all the way around to sign as much as he could and I got my first Brazilian signature. It was difficult to get others as most players went on the coach and Cafu only signed the far end of fans. I was just about to get Junior's autograph (I think it was him with blonde hair) but then I was called by my brothers. I gave up my place and towards the end the players coach came and I saw the players, with many fans shouting Ronaldo and Barcelona as he put his thumbs down as he now plays for Real Madrid. I tried to get the attention of the players and I think Cafu looked at me but he didn't do anything to respond to my wave. The coach eventually left and behind them were many cars with seperate Brazil players. Juninho Paulista opened his window to sign but I was behind many so I missed my chance. A friend was close to getting it and Juninho was about to open the window again but the car had to go. Once again the stewards and police didn't do much to stop the fans crowd the cars.
    So there it was, my first Brazil match which was dissapointing as a whole but the off the field antics were more better and the day had been great.

21. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    It should have never been a goal. The score should have been a 0-0 draw.

Now tell me why it should not have been a goal?

22. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The shoulder battle? Yes. The guy did a good job of shielding Cafu from cutting inside which was what Cafu wanted to do. It was amazing that he still managed to get off the cross. All in all, Brazil were just a better team than Jamaica and should have won the match by a greater score-line than 1-0. But that is the way that matches with the Selecao have a way of ending - especially friendlies. Ronaldo should have finished a point blank shot in front of goal in the second half thanks to a through ball from I think it was Pernambucano. The Jamaica keeper played well.

I didn't see the full match - for some reason the feed cut out and on came some Puerto Rican like music videos with maybe 14 minutes left. But from what I saw, Brazil was never really tested. Kaka, I could see the substitution. At times he seemed to be forcing the action - he wanted to score. The announcers always got Paulista and Pernambucano mixed up. :D And I was surprised that Parreira brought on Adriano for Rivaldo. I didn't think Emerson was so so bad actually. He pushed up more than usual. But he missed a real sitter there and didn't thread the needle on a clear slot to Ronaldo. This game really should have been 4-0. Ze Roberto made some nice runs too. Meh', decent game. Nothing that really wowed me though except for Roberto Carlos's goal.

23. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    They will be here, in Curitiba (Brazil), where I live, in november, playing against Uruguai (WCQ). It certainly will be a tough match, influenced by the previous game against Peru. Brazil always win when they play here. So let’s try to keep it that way!