Brazil vs Colombia Copa America 2021 (June 23rd)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Froboy69, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    if there's any consolation, I see us possibly beating either team. Especially Paraguay but who knows what kind of bizarre team will show up for this one

2. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We just need to unlock the Atalanta boys. It's coming... This rest the next few days will be huge, those two played a ton this year.

villus repped this.
  3. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Uruguay have the kinds of balls colombians everywhere dream of

Froboy69, RafaLarios and sidspaceman repped this.
  4. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Barrios has more balls than anyone in Uruguay but your point is valid

5. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What Uruguay manages to squeeze out of that tiny population is absurd.

6. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i don’t know performing a bicycle kick in Brazil vs Brazil…… is some next level ballsy shit.

Froboy69, pepinointer and J-Mezzy repped this.
  7. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    the built up of our goal was beatiful...........and the best part of it....the referee didnt help the build up

1408483550643593219 is not a valid tweet id

pibe10 repped this.
  8. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yes, Duvan with some excellent hold up play. C4 running into space, the midfield times run into box. We need more of this.

9. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Muriel must play much more. He needs to start or to be the first sub. I thought that he would play much more after his amazing season, it didn't happen so far. Hopefully to see him and Duvan as starters in the QF.

ryu79 repped this.
  10. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I could be wrong but I think he will be a set starter alongside Duvan Zapata in WCQ.

11. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I really hope so, but even in this tournament he should've play much more than what Rueda actually gave him so far. And in the QF we are without Cuadrado, so also a good chance to see either him or Cardona I guess.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #287 HomietheClown, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    I speculate that the 4-4-2 experiments seem to be the main reason why Muriel has not played.
    Rueda wanted to see what Borja and Santos Borre can do as supporting strikers.

Now that we are in knockouts he may just commit to the formation with Diaz-Muriel-Duvan that he started out with in Qualifiers
    We shall see.

Doogs repped this.
  13. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    For the knockout round, I think Muriel needs to come off the bench, right?

If he starts, he won’t make it to any potential penalty shootout….

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Borja can do just fine taking a PK. He impressed me with the one he took against Peru, even after being taken down and appeared a bit hurt.
    (Hopefully it does not come down to PKs anyway.)

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Also, with Cuadrado unavailable Muriel seems to be one of our best options at taking FKs and Corners.
    At least, that is the way I see it. How Rueda sees it is still up in the air.
    Cardona can also do those things.

16. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Agree. I would like to see Borja and Muriel on the pitch at the end of any knockout game….

With that said, I just don’t see Muriel starting any knockout game given his penalty skills

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We will have to see if the manager will sit him down and use him as a sub or start him.
    Could be based on who we play too not necessarily on possible penalty scenarios.

18. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So who are supporting tomorrow Uruguay or Paraguay?

I think I’m going to be a Paraguayan tomorrow. Uruguay would outsmart us with their dirty tactics and cannibal acts ;)

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #294 HomietheClown, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    I am rooting for a long grueling match with a bunch of injuries and red cards.:p

Seriously though, we usually play much better against Paraguay so I guess them? I just hope we win against whichever team we play.

ryu79 and Furnaccio repped this.
  20. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So Ecuador spoiled Brazil's winning streak with a 1-1 draw. Peru unsurprisingly won and thus we get 3rd place which isn't too bad considering that we assumed 2nd place was going to be our assumed position.

With that we would face Paraguay if they don't lose to Uruguay. Otherwise, we face Uruguay in the next round. Now should our players step up and win against whoever we face of the two, it's between Argentina vs Ecuador which I personally can't put claim on what will happen because Argentina isn't a stable team consistently.

That being said, is Paraguay that much better than Uruguay for our preference? They're not exactly as weak as they've been normally if they're in a good position to hold second place in group A.

21. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think you gotta play to win and an early goal against Paraguay or Uruguay would be massive. I tend to agree with Homie that he goes with Muriel and Zapata to start. (If you are being super cynical we need to consider that Duvan - for whatever reason - doesnt take pens.

So considering he trotted Fabra for a press appearance this week and he said he is now up to fitness, I'd guess he goes;

------------------ Ospina --------------
    Munoz - Mina - Sanchez - Fabra
    ---------- Barrios --- Uribe ----------
    Cardona ---------------------- Diaz
    ---------- Duvan --- Muriel ------------

Cardona from here will drift in (he said as much in his press conference this week, that he is more comfortable from the left).

If it was me, I'd play Cuellar ahead of Uribe based on their last performance. I also wish Campaz had gotten more minutes against Peru and Venezuela because I'd love to know if he is up for this, but we are kind of out of time for experimenting...

The right side of that formation is super limited unless Cardona gets really focused on his flank... Truly I want him and Muriel to take some heat checks early in the game from distance. We haven't used that part of our game at all to date and it's actually one of both their strengths.

Hoping the week off really does the team good and we see much better from Uribe in particular.

kromekote and Furnaccio repped this.
  22. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Paraguay is much weaker than Uruguay, our players have sometimes pooped their pants when Uruguay turn it on all the way (usually because they have much better balls than we do)

23. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don’t disagree with you. And I would love this lineup if our off the ball game was on point and we were doing a good job of creating space and passing into space. But mAybe with cuadrado absent, we will play like a national team instead of a junior high team (give the ball to the fast kid and hope he does something fancy)

But given our recent tournament history, we just don’t seem to play to win even in knockout games…

krass repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Going back to this it is going to be very interesting to see how Argentina comes out tonight. They can still finish in second place and play us on Saturday if they do not win.

I do not want to face them this early. Rather it be the Semis.

Froboy69 repped this.
  25. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Agreed.