Brazil vs Colombia Copa America 2021 (June 23rd)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Froboy69, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If any other south american team had then it would have been disallowed.

Regardless looking at the table we technically still qualify to the next round because of our GD over Peru; there's literally no possible way for us to not advance due to the matches that are left over and regardless how they end up. So we can be thankful for that.

That being said, the placements do make me worry about who we possibly face. Paraguay would be quite ideal...imagine if Bolivia pulled something out of their ass?

Of course it depends where we land as well opgh.

2. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I'm going to be honest with you guys, the Pitana gol allowance doesn't piss me off that much. Normally it would, but it didn't at all.

The moment he subbed out Borre for the extra DM, I knew we were going to lose. Borre was doing the work of a defensive guy all match while giving us that extra body up front that kept Brazil from putting all their guys forward. They put us even more against the wall from then on, and really Neymar should've ended all our hopes when he hit the post.

Having more defenders on the field DOES NOT = more defense! The same way having more attackers on the field DOES NOT = more offense. How the hell does a coach like Rueda not understand that? How the hell do you put in Oscar fn Murillo for our only player who could hold on to the ball in the opponent's half??!

But I kinda knew that would happen. Just like I knew he would put in Morelos to miraculously hope for creativity in the final minutes against Peru.

Muriel should've come in yesterday. The fact that he didn't tells me all I need to know about Rueda. We will remain a team that flounders against severe competition, ensuring we never win any silverware ever.

3. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    That's a bit harsh. Even Argentina put in an extra defender in WCQ only to see us score in the dying minutes. Easy to play Monday QB and I dont disagree with your subs suggestions but ultimately we've moved on to the next round. I'll let this Copa develop and see what happens next. Fault him or not, Rueda hasn't been so stubborn in only playing one way, otherwise, he would have kept SebaPerez. He put in Munoz and not Medina. He started Borre and not Borja. He played Diaz and didn't insist on some crazy stint like Morelos on the wing.

Had we awoken this AM as 1-0 winners, I don't think we would have so many dooms day folks.

4. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Very well said.

I said it before but I was very disappointed with the non stop arguing from Ospina, JC and Mina after Brazil’s first goal. The decision was made, move on and get over it. All that arguing did was give brazil time to rest and think things through. VAR saved our asses on many occasions past few years, it was time for us to eat a shit sandwich.

The cuadrado yellow was extremely dumb and I saw it coming a mile away. He’s drained and overworked, but when you’re the on field captain - you play smart from whistle to whistle. It’s on Rueda for not having the proper depth.

I am not annoyed by the goal but how Ospina mishandled the ball. He knows better….

Azucarero repped this.
  5. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    It's not monday morning QB for me. I was away from a computer last night, but, believe me, while everybody I watched the game with last night was happy until that Pitana play, I was criticizing Colombia from minute 1. (perhaps that is a bit harsh, but, hey, I've been watching this team for years...)

The only doomsday person right now is me, and I'm proudly professing it. As for the final result influencing opinion, you're not looking at the liklihood of events in the proper manner. That 1-0 was a result of a 1 in a million shot, the gol of the summer, on the ONLY opportunity we created in the entire match. Imagine what this thread would've looked like had Diaz not pulled that out of his hat.

Actually, given the trends in recent matches, the thread probably would've been pretty silent. Mainly CRZD and Fro commenting in rage mode while the rest of us knowingly suppressed foreseen disapointment.

I'm not going to let 75 minutes of winning against Brazil cloud how poor we've been this tournament against the WEAKEST competition.

PS. Argentina is the LAST team you should use as an example of proper coaching. They're a team that has been underperforming for 15 years because of poor direction.

Cruzifero, RafaLarios, J-Mezzy and 2 others repped this.
  6. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Honestly we had like possession for 5% of the game. We didn’t do any forward passing and parked the bus for 105 minutes. We had a insanely lucky and awesome goal

that’s about it

other than the 2 goal half against Argentina this team has not impressed me at all. Again no MF!! And our wingbacks offer next to nothing going forward.

winning 2-0 with 2 lucky goals would not change that fact

Furnaccio and Azucarero repped this.
  7. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Had we awoken 1-0 us; I would have been hungover….

Azucarero and sidspaceman repped this.
  8. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yes; because we only lost by 1 goal in GD we're still above Peru; no matter what the results are for this group on the last match day it is statistically impossible for us to not make it to the next round.

You can look at the matches that are left over and then you realize there's no way for us to technically be elimated.

9. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    And that absence of midfield is something all of us predicted once we knew the roster.

We're carrying 4 DMs right now. 4. One of them a guy who's never played for the NT, probably won't ever play a minute, and probably never shoudl've played for any NT in his life.

Sebastian Perez has only been a starter for 1 season in Ecuador in the past 5 years! The dude started 8 damn matches this season, and didn't get that first start until halfway through the season.

James was dropped for being out of shape (fine) but then Cardona, who hadn't played for a couple months, was called as his replacement.

Campaz was called AFTER the Peru match because Rueda recognized he had no creativity on the bench, and the kid has only been called for 1 match!

Chara wasn't even NT quality when he was still playing in Brazil.

Otero?!?!?

RafaLarios repped this.
  10. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Also the var confirmed the ball will be delivered to cuellar or sanchez if pitana doesnt touch it...
    }

11. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Colombia protested and request pitana suspension. he handle terrible the decision. Colombia position is that var confirmed the ball will go to a colombian

kromekote and Froboy69 repped this.
  12. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    For those of us here who watch American football, does the “prevent defense” ever work?

I’m told “Only thing prevent defense does is prevent you from winning”

That’s why I hate this “play to not lose” mentality against superior teams.

I’m done venting. Excited for the knockout round. Bring it on!!

Azucarero repped this.
  13. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    It's a damn shame because 99% of the time Pitana is a great ref.

colombianballa91 and pepinointer repped this.
  14. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I'm gonna disagree somewhat, with Borre and Duvan we had absolutely no possession and one shot, so even if Borre was doing work defensively (he was and well) we still couldn't hold the ball or progress up the field to create attacks, we needed more people deeper to link passes and play out. The same way that we needed an attack to help defend we needed possession and a linking midfielder to keep the ball and avoid constant waves of attack. I think Cardona over Cuellar makes more sense, and push him central to sit in front of Barrios and Uribe, we should have taken out Uribe as well. I don't know for the life of me why he didn't bring on Muriel though, you could have subbed him in instead of Borja, since Muriel is much better and dribbling and creating offense on his own, could have also subbed him for Cuadrado or others.

I don't think his subs were good, but also I just don't think we were good at all on the ball and that's been a problem all of this tournament, no passing and ideas to progress out of the back. Muriel has been our most effective attacker who creates chances for himself and other and his dynamic play is a big asset, how do you not get at least 30 minutes of that is crazy.

kromekote repped this.
  15. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Cuellar for Uribe would've been fine too. My main point was that he clogged the midfield with guys who don't give us any width. Borre wasn't perfect, but he was winning the ball regularly while still giving us a guy that defenders would have to look at when we were looking to pass forward. Borre was a better defensive option than a DM if we were hoping to play defensively.

Muriel was the no brainer. Relieving the defense by giving us a counter attacking option or at least another guy who can run out a forward pass and hold onto the ball for a bit.

Cardona is risky as hell. The guy can barely move. Doesn't press, can't beat defenders to a long ball. He might've improved our chances on set pieces, but I think Cardona not seeing a minute in yesterday's match was the right move.

16. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This team is missing an Armero

the team would function with him.

Uribe was just god awful. He isn’t the next Abel and is 30. Call 5 games next friendly and try to replace this dude.

again not a super fan of Barrios. He did like a football tackle on Neymar. That while hilarious lead to their goal

Azucarero repped this.
  17. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It helps in certain situations, allowing plays but consuming clock, it has to be played very well to work and when the other team needs to score a touchdown (not only a field goal).

But yes, it gives a lot of oportunities to the attacking team, and when they have a great QB such as Brady or Mahomes it usually spells doom for the prevent defense

Sorry for the offtopic but i wanted to answer.

Anyways, Colombia sucked yesterday, we played very bad and we never wanted to take control of the possession to the teams that has won like the las 384340 games before.

18. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I wish we'd had Carbonero (to get C4 off when he was losing his head in H2) or Alzate (as a possession guy in place for Uribe) available last night. Outside of Barrios we were late to every ball or unable to control anything with Uribe out there... Even Cuellar isn't that fast but brought more order when he came on relative to whatever on earth Matheus thought he was doing last night.

The comments from the Colombian press are so bizarre. I've seen Uribe praised all over by El Tiempo and Futbolred - what were they watching? What good is it to be in the key zones if you use that presence to give the ball back to the opposition in danger areas over and over again?

crzdcolombian and Azucarero repped this.
  19. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    crzd would make a great colombian journalist

krass, pepinointer and Furnaccio repped this.
  20. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I would love to hear him do a podcast. His delivery is amazing.

krass repped this.
  21. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My long analysis is here for those who would like to read
    https://colfootball.wordpress.com/2021/06/24/2021-copa-america-colombia-v-brazil-analysis/

I actually didn't mind watching the Brazilian with 70% possession, it means nothing to me. they barely created chances in the first half and our goal made their job tougher. In the first half, we stood excellent tactically. The thing that did bother me, is that we had the chance to make counterattacks, we didn't use it as we should, and many times we were too clumsy instead of trying to find the second goal. I also didn't like the fact that the guys tried to get rid of the ball quickly. I think that Brazil yesterday was definitely a beatable team.

However, in the second half Rueda started to act like he coaches Jamaica. What the hell were these subs? Cuellar for Borre? why? Borre did an excellent job. Also, Diaz should've stayed and Duvan needs to be subbed with Muriel. Why Cardona didn't enter instead of Uribe? With him, we could hold the ball more. Why Cuadrado wasn't subbed in the first half? Now he won't play in the QF. From playing excellent tactically we've become ultra-defensive, god knows why.

Now for Pitana. 100% his fault, and the goal should've been disallowed. But I'm not surprised. I do, however, pissed that the VAR ref screwed us. I prefer that Pitana ********ed us without VAR, then he and his assistance will watch the video for 8 minutes and then receive the wrong decision. It's much more painful. Because without this decision, we would've won. Brazil was too frustrated. BUT, our mentality sucks and there is no justification whatsoever for Casemiro's goal. God knows what the players thought themselves. It reminded me so much of the goal we received in the 2014 WC QF with Sanchez's fault.

The good news is that we will qualify 3rd most probably, which means no Brazil until the final and no Argentina in the QF. For me, Uruguay, Chile, and Paraguay are more or less on the same level and I hope we'll win, but we must improve.

22. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We shot 1 time!!! At goal.

we were super super lucky until the ref fkd up. Then we’re distracted and just wanted to hit the Brazilians. Which lead to our loss

but awful subs by Rueda

someone mentioned it. Against Peru he put 5 strikers. Against Brazil 5-6 CBs….. in both games our offense abs our defense became much much worse

Furnaccio repped this.
  23. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Uruguay beat Bolivia and Paraguay beat Chile. I do wonder who we're going to get in the next round....

24. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Most likely that Argentina will win Bolivia and Brazil won't lose to Ecuador. That means that we'll finish 3rd and will get either Uruguay or Paraguay. They'll meet in the last match and Paraguay needs a draw in order to finish second and to meet us.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #275 HomietheClown, Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    We usually play well against Paraguay so that could be the better match-up.
    But with the rotation of lineups and inconsistent play we have shown the last few weeks we can lose to anybody if we are not careful.