Brazil vs Colombia Copa America 2021 (June 23rd)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Froboy69, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Our final match of the group stage and after this we'll have a few extra days to ourselves before the knockout stages start.

Ideally, we would already progress into the next round by this point and this match would only matter depending on what position we are in and how the knockout stages will look like afterward. That's the only stake in this match because realistically Brazil would likely own and kick our asses due to their perfect home record in the qualifiers and the form that they are currently in.

While not good to be negative like this, this is a team that is going to share the top 2 spots with us and if our predictions become accurate, we would likely see them in the semi-finals due to the strange knockout stages having the top two winners of either group on the same side of the bracket which is stupid as hell.

I personally expect us to rotate our players by even the match against Venezuela and already have secured a spot into the next round. Brazil will possibly have that mindset as well but considering how prideful they are, they'll want to establish dominnance in their turf and go all out in all the group stage matches. Hell because in the 3rd set of matches they're not playing and would likely benefit from the rest period as a middle break.

2. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    2-0 Brazil win

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It will probably be Brazil benchers vs our benchers.
    So I expect a boring match in which they probably beat us at the end when they put in someone very good.

4. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    brazils bench is on par with our starters. It comes down to does winning this game get us not to play Argentina, Chile or Uruguay.

I don’t want us testing a back 3 with all our youngest guys starting this game.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, but without a cohesion or a chemistry it may take time for them to get into a rhythm just like our benchers who recently played.

A Back three is not going to be tested out.

6. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He just played back three against Argentina in a pinch and it worked. He may not start that way but Rueda has already shown more flex in this regard than we have seen for a bit in formation for us.

7. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don’t care what formation we play as long as we win abs use our best guys

Tesillo isn’t one of our best guys forcing him or any player out of postion to play a way we always have is silly

we don’t have the players for 4 in the back and they go well let’s play 2 dudes out of position

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Just cause he did something like that as a variant during tough times does not mean he will start it.

9. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I didn't say he would! Though I'd love to see it.

HomietheClown repped this.
  10. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    3-0 win by Colombia with Campaz scoring one and the other two by Perez :)

then when we play Brazil the 2nd time in the cup they beat us 5-0

11. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    If Perez starts in place of any of our typical DFM I'm gonna go crazy. Might as well bring Roca back at this point. Not impressed by what I saw of him vs a very physical/fast Ecuadorian side.

12. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Oh man we need to do something. After tonight, you really want to end the first round well in case we don't advance so this isn't a complete fiasco. I would:

- Rebalance the team by putting some skill on the left flank by bringing in Fabra and Diaz.
    - Go double 5 with Cuellar and Wilmar since the left flank will be adventurous...
    - Stick with Atalanta up front. It's a gamble but they need a goal to boost confidence before Sept. Ironically, I think we should have sent them to test before the tournament to rest...
    - I'm tempted to say rest C4 because what Rueda's done this tournament with him is nuts given all the minutes he played this year and how much he is slowing down our attacks because he is gassed... But there is no way he sits.

----------------- Ospina -----
    Medina - Mina - Sanchez - Fabra
    C4 ------- Barrios --- Cuellar - Diaz
    ------------ Muriel -- Zapata -----------

13. Jace

Jace Member

Oct 19, 2014
    At this point we seem to know who Rueda wants to start. Ospina, Medina, Mina, Sanchez, Tesillo (unfortunately), Cuadrado, Barrios and Uribe seem like mainstays, with others being moved in and out.

Tough call on Cuadrado, but no way he sits at this point. He's also a yellow card away from missing the quarter final game so hopefully he doesnt do something reckless. As for rest he needs, we get a nice week off before the quarter final game. So either way, he'll get some rest.

14. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think we might end up like Peru here and lose 4-0.

15. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Great defensive test but if we haven’t been able to score in open play against 3 weak teams no way we will do it against Brazil.

hopefully our defense shows up

16. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Brazil will be more offensive than any other team we've played so far which will lead to probably more space upfront, that could suit our game much better.

17. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    debateable, we did look better when Peru was giving us space but we were also too stupid to know what to do with it so I don't know if'll make a difference.

RafaLarios repped this.
  18. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    I would say Peru gave us the ball but not space, with Brazil I expect it to be exact the other way around

Doogs repped this.
  19. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I don't like Diaz in this tournament and just his overall decision making is poor. I would rather keep Cardona continuing to threaten. We can't outrun the Brazilians but Cardona can still break lines with a pass, dribble or shot. He makes other play and to a certain extent C4 can do the same on his side. With Fabra along side of him, Cardona and Fabra can be reliable in attack. I'm not a Medina fan either (Tesillo is a awful too) and I feel it's a game for a strong, faster defensive type (Cuesta) since I don't see lots of attacking to come from Medina.
    Lots of diving by Neymar and clan will get our boys in trouble.

20. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #20 ryu79, Jun 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Oof. I agree Diaz hasn't looked particularly encouraging in his last couple of appearances - but we need width. Cardona walks everywhere (though I do think he looked a bit more fit yesterday) but doesn't shift to the left wing sufficiently. Tesillo was all by himself all night and I couldn't understand why Rueda wasn't making that adjustment... because Peru was able to triple team Duvan all night and fill the right side with traffic making it impossible for C4 to penetrate.

I have seen Diaz play the role I think we are missing (actually at the last Copa America) and with the rest from last night, I'd hope he'll have the legs to do it.

21. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Diaz needs chances at final 1 v 1 or 2 v1 situations in the final 1/3 to get his best. Giving him the ball in our half or close to halfline, just burns him out.
    Even at a 50% Cardona: Goal vs Ecuador (and help set up the play). Set up countless chances vs Vzla. Set up penalty with a sweet thru ball to Borja. So for our 2 goals in 3 games, we can't sit him out in the same way we can't just sit C4. He's clutch. Simple as that.... and don't think for a moment that James doesn't walk the pitch either.

The 2 game changers will be Seba Perez never sees minutes again in this Copa and 2, Tesillo gets subbed out for Fabra to provide more agility/threat and give the width you're looking for.

And for the love of God, play Cuellar + Barrios.

If I had to guess, Rueda will add 1 more DFM, and play with 1 striker (Borja/Duvan) vs Brazil.

Rueda's line up:

-----------------------Ospina-------------------

Medina -- Sanchez --- Mina --- Tesillo
    Cuellar --------Barrios --------Mattheus
    C4 -----------------------------Cardona
    ------Duvan

I would Sub in Fabra for Tesillo
    And Cuesta for Medina

There is very little attacking and speed in this formation but I can see lots of possession play with the physicality of Duvan wearing them down.

22. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    James walks the field for sure - but he does provide width whichever flank you out him on.

I am worried you do what you propose and we still end up playing the whole game trying to squeeze the ball in to tight spaces in middle/ right and giving away half the pitch.

Maybe Brasil plays a lot looser but they are smart enough to scout this out tactically as Peru did.

23. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    we're doomed against Brazil. We're definitely getting knocked out in game 1 of the knockout round, idc who we're playing

24. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    meh. Peru and Ecuador will play each other and that result will help us no matter who wins. We may just sneak thru, but odds are too many things have to happen for us to not advance.

edit: never mind, I see you mean knockout round.

25. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Honestly if we manage to hold on to dear life and get a draw against Brazil we pass.

Otherwise the result we would need can be:

Venezuela doesn't gain more than a point against Peru in which case they'll get 3 points. If they do win the thing keeping us ahead would have to be GD.

Ecuador not gaining more than a point against Peru is possibly considering how Peru have stepped up since their lost against us in the qualifiers. Their last match will be against Brazil which even going on by a single point for them in result is gonna be difficult.

Honestly our team needs to be very careful when we face Brazil otherwise we will have to rely on the other results.