Brazil vs. Chile, Mar. 24 & vs. Ghana, Mar. 27 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Denilson70, Mar 1, 2007.

1. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    helton has the best statistics of any goalie in europe. so i think because of that, he is warranted on the team...even if he let in a crappy goal against chelsea.

vagner love, while he is a former palmeiras player, does not really have a future for us on the national team. but, he is playing well in russia. that can't be overlooked. the same with dudu. but honestly, i wouldve preferred Palermo's Fabio Simplicio to get the dmid call-up over him. that guy has been one of the most consistent dmids in Italy in the past 2 years.

brazil is just having some issues at the laterais and forward. all our forwards are out of form. hell, the only guy who is in form is vagner love! so you cant really blame dunga for calling up sobis. fred seems to be slowly regaining his scoring touch...as well as his elbowing one. ;)

we also definitely wouldve had lucas and pato called up, but those guys have libertadores duties during our national team games.

2. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    So this is the actual squad Dunga announced for the match against us?

Metro

3. brazil101984

brazil101984 New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Does anyone think Naldo, Marcelo, and Denilson will get called up anytime soon

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Helton and Vagner Love .... :(

Don't like it.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes.

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You are using statistics to explain why Helton got called up? Let's be honest here leonidas, Helton plays in a league that basically only has three teams. The rest of the teams would be lower tier teams in the Brasileirão. When you face two good teams every year, you really don't get tested. The statistic that you are talking about does not consider what kind of shots he saved, how difficult they were to save, etc. The fact of the matter is that Hélton choked when his team had the advantage over one of the best teams in the world. He changed the momentum of that game. Last time Hélton played for the Seleção, he set up a Portuguese counterattack for their first goal. IMO, it is time to test other keepers that are worthy such as Doni from Roma.

Ilsinho, Josué and Kléber all play on Libertadores teams. That doesn't really explain why Lucas and Pato wasn't called up. Pato probably wasn't called up mainly due to his recent injury.

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Naldo: Possibly, but you never know with Dunga:rolleyes: I prefer Naldo over Luisão and maybe even Lúcio.

Marcelo: I think he needs to get more playing time with Real before getting called up. He will probably be used in the Olympics.

Denilson: I am not, maybe it is a bit early to select him. I must admit that I rather see him called up rather than Dudu Cearense.

8. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Denilson and Marcelo will likely play the U-20 WC - whether they get full call-ups before then is anyone's guess.

9. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    :eek: (players in Bold)

i swear is AC Milan the only team Dunga watches in Italian Serie A because they have some amazing Brasilian players playing there that need to be called up

10. Robinho#1

Robinho#1 New Member

Jun 26, 2006
    Canada
    Its a real shame that Naldo hasnt been called up. But Mancini has been wonderful this season for AS Roma in constrast to Adriano (dropped wow) and Ronaldinho.

Seriously Dunga needs to field Robinho and Diego at the same time not for a megger 20 minutes.

11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Jorginho faz elogios a Leonardo Moura

[​IMG] RIO DE JANEIRO - De lateral-direita o auxiliar-técnico de Dunga entende bem. Por conta disso, e pelos oito anos que defendeu a seleção brasileira, tem autoridade para analisar nomes que, a cada dia, tem sido mais sugeridos para convocação, como o do rubro-negro Leonardo Moura.

- O Léo sempre foi um jogador muito ofensivo, voluntarioso e eficiente no ataque. Mas até um tempo atrás, deixava espaços atrás, não era tão bom marcando. Hoje, ele também está bem nesse fundamento e está sendo observado. Só que Ilsinho ainda está à frente.

Segundo Jorginho, Ilsinho é diferente de todos os jogadores que Dunga tem testado na posição.

- Ele ataca e procura o mano-a-mano com o marcador, porque é muito habilidoso.

O auxiliar de Dunga concorda que as laterais são a posição mais difícil hoje na seleção.

- É natural e esperado que isso acontecesse depois de períodos tão longos ocupados por um jogador. Na esquerda, o Roberto Carlos ficou dez anos na posição. Na direita, eu fiquei oito anos e depois do Cafu passou 12.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/ESP/Noticia/0,,AA1482229-4482,00.html

:rolleyes:

12. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Mancini can't get a call up to brazil's national team after scoring an amazing goal against Lyon.....lol.

13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What position would he play? We've been over this before.

14. Glass Moon

Glass Moon Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Brasil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Ilsinho hasn't played well at all since returning from injury. I guess he was called because he is of olympic age, and/or Dunga didn't like Maicon's behavior in the valencia/inter game. Dunga was also probably gonna call up Lucas and Alexandre Pato but both Gremio and Inter have Libertadores games around these dates.

Kléber is probably our best left-back at the moment so his callup doesn't surprise me. Josué was probably called as a substitute for Lucas, and Vágner Love for Pato. Mineiro is a strange call, since he's 31 and hasn't played that good lately.

I don't see why Dunga called Hélton up, especially after his games against Chelsea. Both Doni and Gomes have done better, or even Bruno (Flamengo), who's only 22.

15. simao20

simao20 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    SoCal
    Do you guys think Pepe will ever be called? He was great in the Champions League (had Drogba in his pocket in both legs) and he is one of the best defenders in Portugal. If Luisao gets called I don't see why Dunga doesn't take a look at him.

16. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Serie A is indeed a good league, but it is as one-sided this season as the Portuguese league has historically been. So, you could make the same argument that Doni doesnt get tested outside of Inter, Fiorentina, and Milan...especially since he can rely on a world-class defense with guys like Chivu and Mexes. I do think he deserves a chance, but Helton...and Gomes are still good goalies.

Allowing 10 goals in 20 games is a very impressive statistic...just like Gomes for PSV. I guess I would say that Gomes' statistic is a bit more impressive because the Dutch league is known for its rampant scoring and he's allowed like 15 goals. These stats merit consideration, even if they come from a somewhat mediocre league. I do think Doni deserves a chance, but Helton is still a good keeper and I don't really have any complaints with his call up. Brazil's ineptitude against Portugal wasnt his fault in the end, even if he did screw up on a goal. There were much greater problems from our defense and midfield and those are the true issues that our team has. While Helton gifted Chelsea a goal, he still kept them in the game and Porto rightfully succumbed to a better team.

As for the Libertadores, the issue is that Inter and Gremio both play their games midweek when Brazil plays its second game. Sao Paulo and Santos (and Flamengo and Parana) play in the previous week, when Brazil still hasnt played its first game. I would assume that the Paulista players won't play the first game due to fatigue and will have their chance in the 2nd game.

17. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    the question to ask isn't really whether dunga will call up pepe...but rather, would pepe reject a brazil call up in favor of playing for portugal.

this has happened in the past--salomon kalou refused to play for the ivory coast for like two years in his attempt to get dutch citizenship. just now, gonzalo higuain refused to play for france so that he could play for argentina. argentina has strict citizenship laws and even though his parents are argentine and he lived there for basically his whole life, the fact that he wasn't born there requires that he naturalize, which he never did.

pepe has been open about the possibility for playing for portugal. he might try that. i don't know. personally i think we could use him in about 3 years...right now we are fine with luisao, lucio, alex, and juan...and eventually naldo. dunga just has to work them playing better as a unit, which they really havent done.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am sorry Leonidas, but I look at Helton on goal and he just coes not look comfortable to me. He looks way to small and most of time very insecure.

19. luisdanielurea

luisdanielurea New Member

Mar 9, 2007
    anybody knows where I can get the tickets?

20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That is my main problem with him. He doesn't come up back in big games. I just am afraid that he will let a frango in or screw up in a big game for Brazil. Dunga was just said the other day that there is no point in calling players up if he wasn't going to play them. Why does he continually call JC up and play Helton? I hope he plays JC in atleast one of these upcoming matchups.

About looking small, I thought the same thing, but Helton is actually the same height as JC.

About Ilsinho, I will be pissed if Dunga does not play him. The only reason I could see why he would be called up is the reason Glass Moon gave, the Olympics. If it wasn't for that, Dunga should have called up Leo Moura, who is in outstanding form right now. Ilsinho is just getting back off of injury..

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If he is not shorter, he is definitely skinnier.

22. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah, JC is 79 kg and Hélton is 74 kg.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    thanks ! I knew it wasn't an optical illusion !

24. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    i maintain a cynical perspective here--if we complain about a frango that perhaps cost us the game, we don't deserve to win...because then we run into the whole "what ifs" garbage--if only helton didnt allow that frango, we wouldve won. no, we shouldve played better overall. but whatever.

but yes, i do agree that dunga might as well play both keepers, especially if he's going to call them up. personally, i would prefer to have JC start.

25. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    actually we need mancini for Man united, glad he didn't get called up