Brazil v USA on ESPN

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by newjerseyboy, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Passage

Passage Member

Feb 25, 2007
    USA
    2-1 USA full time.

We qualified.

2. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a game!

3. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "This is a customer page....Taylor Twellman and Eddie Johnson, please drop off your jerseys at the white courtesy phone. They are no longer needed. Taylor Twellman and Eddie Johnson, white courtesy phone."

4. Batcave Brigade

Batcave Brigade New Member

Aug 11, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    That was just a tad better than the poker and other shite ESPN normally shows these days.

5. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There looked like three or four phantom calls at the end. Where were the replays?

I'd like to see Freddy's move again...

Does the ref samba? :rolleyes:

6. Wicked Owl

Wicked Owl Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Michigan
    Great game. Freddy looked more Brazilian than the Brazilians. And wow, Altidore, a striker who can actually finish. I like the way our national team will look in the future.

7. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    Wow, great job ESPN. I turned a few people into soccer fans with that game. I had people calling me and telling me that they turned on the television to ESPN randomly, watched our young guys do their tricks, and now they "actually LIKE soccer."

Who new it could be that easy? :)

8. BReid

BReid New Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Norwood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I heard one casual fan say about Freddy: "I never thought I would see an American with the foot skills to make two Brazilians look silly"

9. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few quick hits:

Well, the pitch really wasn't that friendly to us. There were times were the players lost their footing on the artificial surface, and many times we slipped. That said, the goal by Leandro Lima could have been just another save for Seitz and preserve a clean sheet. Brazil just brought too many men forward on that goal.

Man of the match (outside of Seitz) goes to Jozy Altidore. This guy is the real deal when it comes down to finishing with class. Freddy Adu and Jozy Altidore...a lethal pair. They will be key when the USA does its business in the knockout stages.

It's not very often that we see the USA beat Brazil in men's football. In terms of the women's national side, it's commonplace, but to beat the men, albeit the U-20's, in this type of World Cup, has to be a feather in Thomas Rongen's cap. On the other side, with all due respect to the Samba Boys for putting in a valiant performance against the Young Nats, this could be the last straw for Nelson Rodrigues. Hope I'm proven wrong (Hugo Sanchez proved me wrong with Mexico's performance down in Venezuela so far), but the inevitable is the inevitable.

I wonder who the USA will face in the knockout stages. They are tops in their group, so it may not be that difficult of a opponent they will get next. We BS USA supporters shall find out soon enough. Onward!

10. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a REALLY fun game to watch. I give props to Altidore for them clean finishes, but did ya'll see that last Adu assist?! I didn't think he could impress me more than he did against Poland, but he sure did with that one. That was just too sick!!!

11. Wicked Owl

Wicked Owl Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Michigan
    Beating Brazil at any level of competition in soccer is always going to bring in some new fans. Even the casual Joe Sixpack NFL fan knows they normally dominate. The only reason more Americans aren't soccer fans yet is because we don't dominate the sport ourselves.

12. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ROFLOL!! Rep!!

13. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Def. nasty! I was thinking "is he a Brazilian in a US uniform?"

14. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    Just what we need...

As if embarrasing ourselves in Copa America to every potential hispanic fan on telefutura this week wasn't bad enough... now we get a chance to lose to Brazil in front of a national audience...

15. Passage

Passage Member

Feb 25, 2007
    USA
    except we won?

16. LarryB

LarryB Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Except we won? I would think you would be happy.

17. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    Shows the worth of not watching the game until you get home from work...

18. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shhhhhhhh! That's a little TMI. Don't let him find out you have exposed his major weakness on BS. :eek:

;)

19. LarryB

LarryB Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    oi. didn't even notice the thread didn't have a [R] tag. The entire thread is riddled with result info.

20. schwerve

schwerve Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Chicago
    I was not an adu believer until tonight, I have never seen a US player do what he did to get around a left back to take that shot which turned into a goal. It looked like 4 touches before it hit the ground behind the defender. That's the creativity the US lacks and its great to see it in the U20 squad.

21. Dummeldinger

Dummeldinger New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Tampa, Fl
    the way adu was playing there was no way he was gonna let us tie them

he just played really hard
    he's been looking a lot better in this tournament

22. Dummeldinger

Dummeldinger New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Tampa, Fl
    while im really happy that there is soccer on ESPN, i think that the show that was schedueled during the game was cancelled entirely. not the hot dog eating contest, but the bronx thing.

23. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    Oh don't worry... my fault for coming onto the board and looking anyway... i was recording the game, but stupidly, it didn't occur to me that I was coming on after it took place... duh! I'm not one of these people who whines about the [R] thing or not... to me, if you're that concerned you wouldn't chance it by being on a soccer discussion board to begin with...

24. HoBo30

HoBo30 New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    It's a show about the 1977 Yankees and it's rescheduled for Sat. at 11pm. As much as I hate the ********ing Yankees I wish the entire series was canceled. Hopefully they won't make the playoffs this year.

Seitz stood on his head. And I thought Zizzo had another strong game as well in addition to Adu and Altidore's performances.

25. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gosh, how will Jim Rome play this up, on Rome is Burning?