Brazil is looking for an opponent.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by special_k, Dec 14, 2005.

1. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    Brazils coach has said hes looking for 3 to 4 games as tuneups for the cup.

PAGING BRUCE ARENA!

No disrespect to Norway or Japan, but this is a team that we should play. This is a golden opportunity to play the best and see how we match up. I dont see what the problem would be. I think we need to try and get a game...

2. STHLM

STHLM New Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Östermalm
    No disrespect to USA but Brazil probably wants to play a side that will get out of
    its group. :D :p

3. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Since there is a very good chance we could meet Brazil in the 2nd round, it might not be wise to play them right before the cup.

4. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think it would be the best thing for them. They would get such a better comfort level for the next game. Iin fact, I think the US should use whatever means necessary (including $$$) to attract the big teams over to the US as much as possible, before and then continue after the world cup. This seems to be starting already with MLS teams playing Real Madrid, Chelsea, etc. But now the MNT should start doing more big team friendlies.

5. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil just played U.A.E ....... they arent even in the world cup , and they are waaay worse than canada and norway .

P.s. we will get out of our group :D DTOM!!!!!

6. Adidas4Life

Adidas4Life Member

May 9, 2005
    So I suppose that Italy is a lock to advance ???? Come on !!! Enough with the Euro-Snob soccer attitude.

7. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I agree with everything except "over to the US". We should be playing most of them on the road or at a neutral site.

8. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    I'd rather not play them for only the reason that if we end up beating them but losing to them in the WC it would be so bittersweet.

Of course it could set up perfectly like the lore of the Miracle on Ice. We could get worked at Giants Stadium 5-1 only to come back and beat them when it's our time! Great moments come from great opportunities!

9. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, obviously no disrespect at all...

Go be blonde or something.

10. tabgio

tabgio New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    NYC
    I Agree, a match against the US would be good preperation for Australia.

11. Gints86

Gints86 Thanks Mchead

Nov 15, 2005
    Rochester, NY

Are you still trolling STHLM (Swedish Troll Has Lost his Mind)? You should be more worried about your countrymen Sven. I hope for your insane sake that Sweden advances but either way you need to not worry about the US. We will show the Azzurri and the Czech what soccer is all about. Hopefully the only three players that are decent on your squad will show up to this cup. We have a complete team and will show it. Please troll elsewhere, there should be a Sven thread somewhere.

12. caputobd

caputobd New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    interesting.

Everything I want to say has been much been said, but I'll recap anyways.

I definitely think that Bruce should be scheduling games like this...and on the road. I understand that teams actually like to play in the US, but we need to get experience in hostile environments. That's exactly what we'll have in virtual road games against Italy and the Czechs, so we might as well prepare for it. We always hear talk about Jamaica and Trinidad being tough places to play, but in reality the top teams in the world would not get intimidated there.

Further, I agree with the Miracle on Ice analogy in terms of playing the team you MIGHT end up playing just before the tournament. It would certainly take the edge off and make them less intimidating when it happens. Also, people have been calling us the "group of near-death," but I have dubbed it the "Group of Opportunity" on my sports blog. I actually put Herb Brooks quote in the post because that's exactly what we have, and opportunity to prove ourselves to the world.

13. GOOOOAL!!

GOOOOAL!! New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    My thoughts exactly.
    Play the best. In '02 the US played Italy to prepare. The loss in the last game before the WC to Holland (0-2) at home obviously didn't hurt the WC performance.

14. cnaw

cnaw Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jul 28, 1999
    New Mexico
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooo... Los Angeles then? :D

15. STHLM

STHLM New Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Östermalm
    Man you have no sense of humour! Seriously chill out! I have the right to post in this forum if feel like it. I don't think the USA will get out of the group. That is not an extraordinary opinion at all. I can't believe I got redcarded for this :rolleyes: Good luck in the group play! ;)

16. Gints86

Gints86 Thanks Mchead

Nov 15, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Oh come on, you know that I love discussing soccer/football with you. I must admit I would love to see that England/Sweden match. Relax, I didnt boot you and look forward to your posts in the Sven thread. ;)

17. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    We're probably playing Spain in Madrid and Germany in Dortmund, I think. Someone said T&T and Jamaica are hard places to play. They're probably the easyist places to play in CONCACAF. I think our players know what it's like to play against hostile crowds. I think the crowds in Germany are a step down from the "I hope that fence doesn't break and 100,000 Mexicans flood the field and kill me" kind of way.

18. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    Where did you hear about Spain?

And yes this is exactly the game we need to schedule. We cant back down form top teams any longer. I say we play them, and play them hard the whole game just to show people we can hang with the big dogs.

19. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Brasil needs to play games in Europe. If they met the USA in an exhibition in Portugal, then that might fly and that would be sensational for the USA. More of the Portugal side would be cheering for the USA, and it would be a good crash-course on what to expect in the Cup for the USA.

Otherwise, Brasil should not focus on coming to the USA, and the USA should not focus on travelling to Brasil. Both need to focus on similar styled opponents that they'll face in the cup.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should play them to prepare for Ghana. After all, Ghana is the Brazil of Africa. :rolleyes: :D

21. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring 'em on...they'll beat us 1-0 like always, but bring 'em on anyway! :D

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No dummy, you need to play an African team to prepare for Ghana. After all, we cannot properly prepare for the World Cup by not playing anyone from Africa.

Maybe Ethiopa. :)

23. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    i think playing brazil would be good.

1) i don't think norway, japan and canada are really going to help us prepare very much.

2) i've read that ghana plays in a style very similar to brazil's... this could be good prep.

3) i really don't see how the possibility of us playing brazil in the world cup suggests that a friendly would be a bad idea?

24. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I think we should play them, and come out with extremely vanilla tactics. Basic 4-4-2, nothing unique or creative. Figure out how our guys play against them then if we face them in the WC, come up with something completely different to hit them with. That sort of thing is Arena's bread and butter.

25. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were neg repped, not red carded, for trolling even with smiley faces.

We shouldn't waste our time with Brazil. We can just beat them in the World Cup. I think their number is up this time around.