Brazil is coming...

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Medeiros, Apr 29, 2008.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    A lot people, especially those with crappy seats, prefer to watch the game from the bridges and concourses - I'd guess you've noticed that at Pat's games.

There were people scattered all over the *seating* (is that better?) - the upper decks, the outdoor luxury box areas, goal areas, lower sidelines, upper sidelines, etc., etc. The whole lower bowl looked a lot less populated than a a regular, weeknight game, but there were also people scattered on both sidelines (instead of one) and all around the upper decks - so it's just a wild guess, but I think there were > 5K (not counting those waiting for hot dogs).
    Just anecdotal information, but my ride in (95 south almost the whole way), which takes 40 minutes on weekends or an hour on most weeknights, took 80 minutes. Not fun, but not a *nightmare* for me.

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, you can argue semantics all you want. Here's three pictures that I took about 5.5 minutes before the game. There's virtually no one upstairs. I'm assuming that aboutover 4,000 people were just waiting to run down the stairs right after these were taken.

But you guys can keep saying how there over 5,000 people at kickoff.

Looking to the right from the Fort:
    [​IMG]
    Looking directly across (and you can see exactly the time)
    [​IMG]
    Looking to the left from the Fort.
    [​IMG]

Pictures' worth a thousand words, and all that jazz.

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    FWIW, it looks like Monty shot these images just prior to the start of the national anthem; a picture's worth a thousands words.

4. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    i wonder how many people that is.

a picture IS worth a thousand words. how does that picture compare to just 1/2 of the lower bowl being open during a reg. game? i really have no concept of how many people are there.

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really tough to say, but it's kinda scary that you could almost (if you had the time) really sit down and count how many people are in each of those three shots. Usually at kickoff for a regular game, you'd see about at least 5-6k (well this year anyway). But that's because those fans only came to see their team, and won't miss kickoff (if they can help it).

6. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually traffic and the starting time was why many of us thought there was no chance there'd be a good crowd at kickoff.

8. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Ok, then we agree. I thought a large portion of your complaint was Brazil fans who consciously chose to arrive late.

People who have to work until 5pm would just make it to the Brazil game kickoff.

I think a 7pm Revs start time, and a 9pm Brazil start time would have worked better for everybody.

9. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is well attended? What drugs are you on? Are they special drugs from Brazil? Clearly they have a very high potency level.

It is okay though, I like being the under-card in our own stadium.
    Totally reasonable.

10. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Considering that side of the stadium is completely empty for every other revs game....yes.

11. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    On TV, it seemed like the crowd started to fill in pretty well about 25 minutes in. Also, I could hear a lot of groans and boos during Cooper's goal, much louder than usual, so I'd argue that there were a good amount there at that point.

I didn't see what traffic was like, and I'm assuming neither did the people that were in the Fort at kick-off as I'm sure they managed to beat the traffic by a few hours.

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all honesty, I wasn't concerned about the Brazil fans. They would have shown whenever to make sure they could make the game, since they only get to see their team once a year apparently.

I was concerned about the Revs fans, and quite a few of my friends who I knew would have virtually no shot of making the Revs game in time, due to a) a 6:30pm start and b) dealing with Cape, Friday rush hour, and Brazil traffic.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    A crowd of 5000 in the typical seating configuration (1/2 lower bowl) would look very sparse.

Those pictures looks sparse too, but there's also the other sideline, the other goal area, the upper decks (which look empty in those shots, but definitely were not) and the club boxes (which undoubtedly drew more than for a typical Revs game). A crowd of 5000 at kickoff would be among the worst attended games ever for the Revs - I've seen plenty of smaller crowds over the years.

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I haven't, at least not for Revolution matches. There have been a few, but not plenty.

15. SoulShadow

SoulShadow New Member

Mar 14, 2000
    Milford, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A few of the rain games (most noticeably in my mind the second Revs-Chivas match a few years back) have had crowds that small, despite the announced attendance being over 7,500 (totally based on ticket sales, not the number who walked through the gates).

Mike

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that the picture shows parts of the upper deck almost completely empty, but yet your argument is that they weren't.

Based on what exactly? I'm assuming you don't have seats up there, so how would you know? The fact is that 5.5 minutes before the game, the pictures show exactly how many people were up there.

I can't believe we're arguing what you "believe" as opposed to the reality that's shown in the pictures.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. There's been a couple of games over the years (not including the USOC matchups), but everyone of them has been due to weather.

18. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to smoke, snort, inject, or eat whatever you are on.

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Based on my eyes. I was in my seat at midfield 20 minutes before the game and watched people arriving at their seats.
    Yes (or anticipated weather).

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet, the picture taken 5.5 minutes before doesn't show what you're stating. There weren't 5,000 people in their seats at kickoff. Plain and simple.