Brazil 2014

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by rightmf7, May 26, 2010.

1. West Coast

West Coast Member

Feb 4, 2006
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Visa to Brazil is $160 (US Postal money order only)

2. El Bigote de Dalí

May 30, 2013
    South Jordan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks ACGreen, good advice. After taking it into consideration, I'm thinking we'll skip out on Salvador. Seems a bit out of the way and there was only one match there that fit our itinerary anyway. So here's the plan: match #7 in Fortaleza, #14 and #22 in Natal, and #34 and #45 in Recife. Are there any advantages to flying into or out of one airport vs another?

3. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. One idea would be to focus on spending most of your down time in or around Natal. I actually spent my honeymoon in July there with 40 gringo friends (over a decade ago). Lots of great beaches, all types of accommodation options from resorts to condo - type places. Check out some of the outdoor options around town too from Ski-bunda to Praia da Pipa.

I think they just built a new airport too. And due to its status as a domestic tourist attraction, it will have lots of connections to other cities.

4. El Bigote de Dalí

May 30, 2013
    South Jordan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the match schedule, is it safe to assume that team A1 is Brazil? Likewise, I would imagine that team B1, C1, etc are the "highest ranked" or group leaders.

5. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder

yes, a1 is brazil. the others are from the different pods. pods are arranged with some logic around FIFA region and then by Fifa Rank. So that each group has and equal #'s of accounts from each region. but yes, brazil is A1.

6. tacologic

tacologic Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    After last night's game, I'm excited for Brazil. I started dipping my toe into the water by reading this thread and doing other internet research. People were saying that flights should be booked a year in advance (which is today!) but on American's and United's sites, they're not even for sale. Is this normal?

7. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am no expert at all on international travel but I do know that Southwest JUST started selling tickets for this fall domestically.

My big concern with flights is the upcoming merger of US Airways and American. I have a fairly significant FF account with US Airways that would afford me to travel free round trip on business class. I'm totally waiting to get boned when they announce how the two frequent flier accounts will merge.

8. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Instead of "should be booked a year out" really means that they "can" be booked up to a year in advance. For example, American Air can book out to May 9, 2014. So you'll need to wait about another month to get the june 12th. Pretty typical. Southwest is different but not applicable in this situation.

Pricing is determined by a ton of factors, theres all sorts of urban myths. Its a mixture of seat availability within each fare class, and then market price from competitive airlines. It's fluid and changes daily/weekly. Rule of thumb is to book early as possible, but that just rule of thumb. Prices will go up and down over the course of the next year.

Best of luck...see ya down there.

9. pun_Krawk

pun_Krawk New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Question: What is the best way to buy tickets to sit with US supporters?

I'm planning on going down so Brasil solo and stay with friends in Rio. However, I want to travel to see US games if at all possible. The problem is, I don't want to sit alone in some neutral section. That's boring. Do you think groups like AO will have an allocation of tickets I can buy from?

10. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. FIFA does not allow that. Even with AO's WC travel package, it doesn't include tickets to the game. Its just a luck of the draw. (for where you sit/who you sit next to)

11. pun_Krawk

pun_Krawk New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    I see. I found this post from the US Supporters Club for WC10: http://www.ussoccer.com/news/tickets/2009/initial-details-for-2010-world-cup-tickets.aspx

So even though they got priority access to tickets (post-US qualification), the club isn't allocated a section. Where you sit is up to Fifa's system.

12. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    There are 2 options to sitting with US Supporters (each with 3 subcategories).

- FIFA lottery: Select the TST (team specific tix), USA of course. Lottery is August 20th, details avail on July 1st. http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/index.html

- USSoccer Supporters Club: Again its a FiFA driven process, but tix allocated to each federation, 12% of that specific game's stadium capacity. These will be available after the draw in december, and finalized around first of the year. Also a lottery but controlled by the USSC.

Within each option above you can select between 3 tiers of seats. Sidelines, corners, endlines. So there ends up with 6 different sections of supporters, all of which are die-hard supporters.

Hamburgler03 and pun_Krawk repped this.
  13. pun_Krawk

pun_Krawk New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Aha! Fantastic! Thanks for explaining it. That's the info I was looking for.

14. MobileBama

MobileBama Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Mobile, AL
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be a pissed off citizen as well if I knew that a company like FIFA doesn't have to pay a single tax, while the country is shelling out BILLIONS just to host a couple of soccer tournaments.
    Random question: Does the IOC pay taxes in host countries?

16. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in SP and can tell you, that what we are seeing is akin to the Occupy Wall St. movement. People are pissed that the politicians are out of touch and indiscriminately act in their own interests. The cost of the WC is 2 times projected, but that original price included massive infrastructure spending that would be the legacy of the cup. That money has "disappeared" and some people are expressing their righteous indignation now that they realize they have been lied to. Again. Remember, this is a country with US / EU tax levels but 3rd world services rendered in return.

The protests have been peaceful (mostly), but there are some miscreants (not politically inclined) that are using the demonstrations as cover for looting. This has been largely isolated, and until now has taken place after the "legitimate" demonstrations have taken place. There will likely be demonstrations against the WC just as there are today against Confed Cup. But I can guarantee that they will not be a danger to actual international fans. This is about Brazilians and their government.

There have been no acts (to my knowledge) targeting people or homes, hotels, etc.

This is coming from a population that is soccer mad - now they are plain old mad in addition.

All of this being said, Brazil is a place where anything can happen - good or bad.

18. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Haven't scanned through this thread...but have tickets gone on sale yet?

And heard from a friend most hotels have already been booked!

19. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Bolivianfuego repped this.
  20. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thank you! Sorry about that.

21. ilidav

ilidav Member

Jun 9, 2003
    El Paso, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to this forum and ready to go to Brazil!! Any more news on accommodations?

22. AztecJames

AztecJames New Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If you guys haven't already discovered it, there is a VERY informative thread at TripAdvisor that answers most of your questions:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...0-World_Cup_2014_I_know_its_early-Brazil.html

I'm a single and young guy from San Diego who is going for sure, and it looks like I'm by myself. I went with AO to Jamaica and had a blast, and I'm on the waiting list as well for AO, but talking to the guys in Jamaica there is no chance that I will get on (waiting list is 700+ and no one is backing out). Let me know if you guys get anything going, I'm down to travel with strangers.

23. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I'm in the exact same boat, would love to meet up with strangers if I can nab tickets. I'm not a USSF member (yet) and I'm not on any AO wait list. Was stubhub successful to those who went to SA? If I'm going, I want to sit/stand with the crazies...don't wanna make the investment to go out there and sit with a bunch of lame, family tourists

24. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for posting this link. I hadn't seen it before and it is great information.

I'm currently a single traveler (42 year old male) but there has been talk of a group of us from Columbus looking for a house to rent. I guess some others had done this in South Africa and Germany.

25. El Bigote de Dalí

May 30, 2013
    South Jordan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grant Wahl via Twitter: "Decent but not great hotel in São Paulo just quoted me its price during World Cup: $1,300 per night."

And: "Friend just wrote to me from Brazil: 'Everyone sees [World Cup] as once in a lifetime chance to gouge those from the developed world.'"