Brazil 2014

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by rightmf7, May 26, 2010.

1. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It appears that the pre-game/night gatherings are much more organized this year. :thumbsup:

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's good to see us soccer recognize and respond to the growth of their fan base.

3. doug001001

doug001001 Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The airport ticket pickup locations are on the fifa site now. Not one in natal, but if flying through rio/sp/Brasilia looks good.

4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Cant wait boys!! See you in Natal in a week, I'll have my gameday fireman helmet on, come say hello.

image.jpg

William Reynolds repped this.
  5. JRCIII

JRCIII Member

Feb 27, 2006
    New York City
    3 tickets for USA v Ghana, same row in Category 1. If interested please email me at jules_cattie@yahoo or text me at 917-8387584 . I live/work in NYC so can meet here or mail if needed.
    Jules

6. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    I myself am, alas, not going to Brazil, but thought that this art installation was interesting enough to pass on for those of you lucky enough to be spending some time in São Paulo. Ever wanted to walk inside the interconnecting tunnels of a giant hollow root system? Check out Henrique Oliviera's Transarquitetônica at Museu de Arte Contemporânea da Universidade in São Paulo:
    http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/05/henrique-oliveira-wood-tunnels/

Revolt and beerslinger23 repped this.
  7. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone who hasn't left for Brazil yet (I'm guessing that's most of you), be advised my American phones did not work even with a Brazilian SIM card. I don't know if you will have the same problem, perhaps it was because I have a Go Phone, but be aware. Also check your Europlug adapters. Mine were too bulky to fit in the local sockets because there is a hexagonal cowl around the holes. You may need to pick up new ones here. They are sold in the Drug Store on the second floor in Galeao airport.

Also there is a little scamming going on in the Rio airport, just be aware you may be approached.

Pseudonym repped this.
  8. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Nov 23, 2007
    What's the scam?

9. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My US iPhone 5 worked fine, but I also had the issue with the power adapter. Mine also had a big block end to it that didn't fit in the smaller hexagonal socket. I bought one for R$10 from a small Chinese electronics shop on Paulista, which is probably a rip off but I really needed one.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil seems to use the smaller southern european plugs and not the bigger northern european ones.

11. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just in general. Two kids approached me and told me I could "make some money and help his brother out". Another one may have been a legit charitable organization, I'm not sure. People may hit you up.

12. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah adapters are a no go without the angled sides. I've found enough of the other kind of outlet that support both the circles and rectangles that I havent needed to buy a new adapter yet though

13. Piffy187

Piffy187 Member

Jul 26, 2009
    FL
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok so I have a conditional USA ticket for the round of 16 match, so idk if we're Gona pass or not therefore I didn't book a comeback flight to the US because I also don't know what city ima be in. I'm at the Miami airport and they told me I couldn't go to brazil unless I had a comeback ticket. I was pissed!! Another guy came and talked and said he would let me on so they did. The lady warned me that they could deport me from brazil though. Wtf they never told me this at the Brazilian consulate in Miami. So I'm still going and I'll see what happens, did anybody else have any problems similar to mine?

14. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In General, whenever you travel abroad and need a visa, you usually need an exit ticket.

Countries where you don't need a visa beforehand have slightly different rules. But some also require proof you will leave.

15. Piffy187

Piffy187 Member

Jul 26, 2009
    FL
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, Ill see what happens, please baby Jesus our team needs me there ;)

wixson7 repped this.
  16. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Has anyone set up a whatsapp group or anything like that?

17. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    El Chuma repped this.
  18. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Chuma repped this.
  19. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm frankly a little surprised anyone would sell you a one-way international ticket without asking some questions. I hope you won't have trouble, but that is why knockout games generally get much less partisan crowds. Tourists have to buy a round trip ticket, and unless they are German they don't know if they're going to be around for the knockout stage. Therefore most head home after their group is done, win or lose. Godspeed.

20. Piffy187

Piffy187 Member

Jul 26, 2009
    FL
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know man, but im here and tomorrow is the game and thats the only thing that matters in this world to me.

Real Corona repped this.
  21. MobileBama

MobileBama Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Mobile, AL
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you are enjoying your new home. Start learning Portuguese so you can get a job, find an apartment, meet a beautiful Brazilian bride. ;)

Piffy187 repped this.
  22. Piffy187

Piffy187 Member

Jul 26, 2009
    FL
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol i wouldnt mind that. Ill make sure my kid plays soccer here, develops right, then if good enough advise him towards representing the US at a national level. The perfect plan.

Stuckin1au and William Reynolds repped this.
  23. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Just wanted to give quick thoughts on overall trip, A fantastic one at that.

- major thanks to all the contributors here for the insight. @ACGreen , @Riker , @azevedof get special kudos. Thx guys, sorry i didnt get to meet you. But you made the trip easier for alot of us.

- zero issue or concerns with safety, never once felt danger. Used normal common sense and had good luck.

- i found every person we met to be outstanding. Very helpful and welcoming. Lots of "go USA" hollers from random brazilians.

- sad to think how some of the stadiums will no doubt be white elephants, manaus and natal especially. But the WC created jobs and tourism, there is no doubt about that. And lord knows i spent a ton of cash.

- ashamed at how little i knew about Brazil prior to the trip outside of the Rio imagery. I came away with a better understanding and appreciation for the massive and complex country.

- US support was out of this world. Officially a bro culture but almost mixed with a Halloween costume party. Hilarious costumes, great mix of young and old, good balance of male/female, and very supportive of the team.

- Fan highlight for me was during warmups during Germany game, after obvious Bradley struggles the previous few games. The crowd broke into a huge Michael Bradley chant to pick him up. It was the right thing to do, smart fan base, and MB needed it. Almost tears to eyes type of moment.

We got out of group, couldn't be happier for Klinsi and the boys.

ACGreen, Beazley17, crw75 and 4 others repped this.
  24. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I agree with basically everything wixson said. My trip was limited to Natal and Manaus.

-Brazilians = very friendly and welcoming, especially in Manaus, as they seemed genuinely surprised to see non-Brazilians visit their remote city.

-Stadiums = first class. No issues with sight lines at all, even for the one match (Greece/Japan), where I sat in the upper deck. I have no idea what they'll do with the stadium in Manaus (or even Natal for that matter), though.

-Safety = no real concern at all. I wandered around Ponta Negra past midnight on multiple occasions and never had an issue.

-Weather = I thought I was prepared for the head/humidity, but my goodness, it was even more intense than I envisioned. Natal was not that bad in retrospect, but Manaus was a sauna.

-USA contingent = unbelievable. I knew there were a lot of Americans making the trip, but I was still blown away by the amount of supporters there. It really blew my mind. The night before and pregame parties in Natal were insane. We may not be a "soccer country," but the fact that the sport has come so far where we get 10's of thousands of Americans to make the trek to a random beach city in Brazil, as well as the jungle, is just awesome.

The trip was a blast, and the fact that we made it out of the Group of Death, was really the icing on the cake. I would love to go back to Brazil in the future and check out Rio. I could also see myself visiting the Amazon again at some point as well.

wixson7, JBigjake and William Reynolds repped this.
  25. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #1350 JBigjake, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    Agreed with your other comments, as well, but wanted to add to this.
    It's been amazing to watch the US travelling support grow, from (my estimates) a core of 500 in France, to 1,500 in Korea, to >5K in Germany, perhaps 10K in South Africa, & now estimates of 20K in Natal. Props to everyone who made the trip, especially those who are still there. :thumbsup:
    Wish I had had the confidence to book my return flight next week, instead of last.
    No thanks to United Airlines, for quoting me an outrageous price to re-schedule my return, then diverting my actual flight 1,100 miles.
    It will be interesting to se how many Yanks make it to Russia.

bkn0528 and Piffy187 repped this.