Brazil 2014

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by rightmf7, May 26, 2010.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should be fine. Visas in general suck but once you get it done you forget about it quickly.

2. flem16

flem16 Rainmaker

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sent Sunil an email and he just replied saying he'd be in touch with the US Embassy and MATCH. Hopefully, they get this resolved because this isn't a fun part of the trip planning process.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm a total idiot and missed your comment, but did you have a specific problem with your visa?

4. flem16

flem16 Rainmaker

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Brazilian consulate in San Francisco, which serves the state I live in, has said they are no longer taking visa applications for the World Cup. We were told to reschedule our trip to a different time...which works fantastically since I'm sure FIFA will be flexible with that :)

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh damn, I guess I either read over that or just missed it. What options are you considering at this point. My recommendation would be to hire a visa agency like Travisa or CIBT. CIBT are expensive, but they are very professional and experienced. And seriously at this point, $100-200 should be a drop in the bucket considering all the other costs for the trip.

6. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    This is astonishing given that the last official ticket selling phase hasn't even started.

7. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Just went through CIBT, and they said that after compiling all my Visa information, they have to schedule an appointment on my behalf at the San Francisco consulate. The first appointment is not available until late May. This is throwing a major wrench in my plans. Ugh.

8. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Is this just a San Francisco consulate thing? I have a friend who still must get his visa from Miami.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to be an SF thing.

mpetrik repped this.
  10. flem16

flem16 Rainmaker

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We already tried Travisa and they returned our documents telling us that the consulate in SFO told them no more appointments available. We called every other visa service known to man on the internet and the only thing we've found is a company with "ties" to the New York consulate that will do it for $600 per person.

It's very likely a San Francisco thing. The feedback we've gotten along the way has been universal in that they are real peaches down at that consulate.

Sunil followed up on my email to him in a couple days and he put me in touch with someone over at MATCH (FIFA's ticketing center). He wrote the following to me today:

Please allow me to introduce myself; my name is ........., and I am the Sales & Customer Service Manager of the FIFA Ticketing Centre, operated by MATCH Services AG.

The reason for my contact today is that I have been provided with a copy of your e-mail and understand that you are experiencing some difficulties in securing a Visa for your trip to Brazil.

I can confirm that a specific document exists (The World Cup General Bill), which regulates the guarantees given by the Brazilian government to FIFA for the hosting of the Confederations Cup in 2013 and the 2014 World Cup. Within this document, there is a section confirming that Ticket Holders/Ticket Certificate Holders are entitled to a Visa (free of charge).

As a main applicant who has purchased tickets for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil(tm), you will soon be receiving an official Ticket Certificate for yourself and your guests.

My advice would be that, once you have taken receipt of your certificate, (scheduled to be dispatched soon) you then re-approach the Consulate with the certificate, advising that the visa application is being made in line with the World Cup General Bill, and as per the process outlined in their own website.

Thus we wait til we receive the ticket certificate and then try the SFO office again...basically letting them know we are entitled to a visa because of the agreement Brazil entered into with FIFA as hosts of the WC.

wixson7 repped this.
  11. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sucks to hear about the SF Consulate. Per some things I read about the Atlanta consulate on another thread, I'd recommend sending your stuff off to them. Worst thing that could happen is you waste $40 on envelopes and have to be without your passport for a few days.

I just sent mine out to them last week and have confirmed they're working on it. I expect to have my passport/visa back by next week.

12. neasdengooner

neasdengooner Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Suwanee, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I went to the Atlanta embassy last Tuesday without an appointment. Out within 15 mins and had my visas in the mail 3 days later.

13. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    For you guys that went in person to Atlanta or sent yourself in by mail, did you just need to send these things:

-Passport
    -Online visa form filled out (https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/frscedv/manterVisto.do?lang=eng#inicio) with a photo attached
    -Ticket confirmation
    -Self-addresses envelope
    -$20 money order (for mail application)

Thanks!

14. sethuel1

sethuel1 Member

Mar 23, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't send the 20 bucks

15. bigworm

bigworm Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $20 not needed. Also, the state department has a passport photo app on their website that will help you size the picture correctly.

16. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    That's great. Thanks for letting me know about the $20. I'll be sending in my visa application shortly. Do you know if the photo has to be a new one? I have a couple extra ones left over from when I renewed my passport about a year and a half ago.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A year and a half ago should be fine.

18. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Thanks!

19. sethuel1

sethuel1 Member

Mar 23, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they say less than 6 months old, but honestly how would they really know

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't, as long as it looks reasonably like your passport photo and (if you are dropping off in person) like yourself, then you're fine.

I'm basing this off my 5 or 6 Russian visas. I once submitted the same photo three times over the course of six years.

21. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

K- it is actually the same photo as my passport one, which I took about a year and a half ago.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It shouldn't be a problem, but if you want to be safe you could go to a Fedex store and have two more in a few minutes for $13.

23. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Yeah, I'll probably just go and do that after work today. Thanks for your help!

24. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha - at least he posted the tout prices upfront and didnt waste anyone's time with an email exchange :rolleyes:

Did a lot of his friends really drop out? or did no one buy the expensive package on his website?

Stuckin1au repped this.
  25. neasdengooner

neasdengooner Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Suwanee, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I went in person. Also I had to show proof of plane reservations. I gave them a $5 UPS flat rate recorded envelope. As said no payment necessary. They did not ask for hotel confirmation but bought it with me just in case.