Brave Nieuw World: Mark McKenzie at Genk

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sebsasour, Jul 9, 2020.

1. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he played extremely well for most of the game... I actually don't think he deserved much blame for the goal... despite the aerial won that happened to be picked off by the other team. So I didn't ding him for that... but after that goal was conceded he had two horrid clearance attempts that he failed to get into the air that ended up getting intercepted in what could have been dangerous spots. Those were the two blemishes on what I thought was his best game of the season. Tons of good tackles, interceptions and aerial duels. He still seems like a work in progress to me so I am happy he is getting a run of starts. I think he deserves it. I do worry that 6'0" is just a tad short WRT being an elite CB but I assume there are any number of exceptions.

Casper repped this.
  2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly, CCV is listed at 6'1", and one of the issues he has is his lack of height and aerial game (at least in non-Scottish League football). So I don't know that your supposition about his height is too far off.

3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think he is 6’1 but he is probably as tall as McKennie.

4. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Nice. Bring it on!!

5. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Wait who?

Sounds like the Belgian Pro League is having a weird season.

superdave repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out in the 67th:

Wild game. Genk gave up a goal in the final minute of added time (chalked off for offside) and *then* gave up a penalty to lose 2-1 in the 100th minute (on 4 minutes of added time).

8. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    #583 JUnionFan, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    lol wow. Genk has had so many games like that in the past year it feels like. McKenzie still seems to be getting courtesy minutes and starts but he really need some stability. Though really, seems like the whole team needs that.

EDIT: I also want to bring up I have never seen a team sub CBs in and out as often as Genk. And this isn't just like it happened once today because McKenzie was bad (and Fotmob has him at a 7.0, so he seemed fine). I noticed it even last year when McKenzie first arrived - he was subbed in a few times. And when McKenzie was playing well and for full games, the coach would be subbing in/out the CB next to him and rotating starters.

It's all very, very weird. I don't know what it going on there.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    USG is a legacy club in Belgium but they've been toiling away for years. I think they just got promoted this season, so it's an interesting storyline to follow

10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Their majority owner since nid-2018 is Brighton owner Tony Bloom. A former top-level professional poker player who's made a good deal of money in real estate, gaming and data analysis for gambling syndicates, his record at Brighton is one of keeping his cash tight until he identifies decisive moments or key areas for maximum impact.

Belgium has a few clubs owned/controlled by EPL clubs or their owners. This NYT piece has interesting details about Bloom's role in USG as well as other EPL sides in their Belgian ventures.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/26/sports/soccer/premier-league-money-union-brighton.html

Winoman and eliwood repped this.
  11. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The coach clearly likes to rotate his CBs. I haven't followed the team so don't know if he does that with other field positions either, but game-to-game CB choices don't seem like they are based on performance. McKenzie has played in, I believe, 22 of his team's 34 total games this season.

Winoman and The Irish Rover repped this.
  12. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right.. there has been a steady centerback rotation.

But It has been the case now for two managers. Storck was hired in December and he has been using the similar rotation Van Den Brom used

Winoman and tomásbernal repped this.
  13. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    My understanding when McKenzie signed in January of 2021 it was with the expectation that the Jhon Lucumi and Carlos Cuesta, A pair of young Colombian international CB's for Genk, would be sold in the summer window, or at least one of them. That hasn't materialized for whatever reasons.

LouisianaViking07/09 and JUnionFan repped this.
  14. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    And not only that, but the CB cover they signed in the summer from the Spanish THIRD tier - Sadick, has played more often than pretty much anyone expected. And no hate on him, he has been fine, but even Genk fans were not expecting anything from a third division CB.

so instead of 1 or 2 of the first choice CBs being sold and opening a spot for McKenzie, both have stayed AND they have introduced a 4th CB into the mix.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  15. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm getting verklempt!
    [​IMG]

18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McKenzie back in the starting lineup today vs Standard Liege.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    What's the deal there? Has he been so-so or has his competition just been on Fire? Wasn't he brought in to replace some player they figured would get a big move?

20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won 2-0 and he got a 68th minute yellow card.

edcrocker repped this.
  21. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Nice! This experience should lead to bigger things for him.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posted a strong 7.5 rating on Sofascore for the game. Mark's been solid for them by that measure when given the opportunity. He's the highest rated CB on the team.

So I don't think you can look at it as reflective of failure he's not a starter for them yet. It may just be they are a seller's club but haven't been able to pull the trigger yet on Lucumi or Cuesta, & barring disastrous performances by them, don't want to hurt their stock thru a benching. So Mark has to bide his time, which could come during the summer window. Then he'd be up to the next station on the conveyer belt.

23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Not starting. Genk hosting the Mechelen Men today at 12:45 PM (eastern).

[​IMG]

Winoman repped this.
  24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [​IMG]

McKenzie is at least on the bench. I don't see Cuesta at all.​

Winoman repped this.
  25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006