Brave Nieuw World: Mark McKenzie at Genk

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sebsasour, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he will be seen by EPL scouts.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    We haven't seen Timothy Chandler in years.

3. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    McKenzie on the bench. With only a few days left till the transfer deadline, hopefully Lucumi is sold. Apparently he was not called up to the Columbia NT so maybe a move is in the works?

Otherwise I can see a lack of playing time hurting McKenzies chances of being called up in the next 1-2 windows, unless he is really getting good minutes as a rotation option.

Long term it's still a good situation I think, he is young for a CB, Genk has produced good CBs in the past (like the 2 in front of him) and he is still in their plans as their next CB.

4. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    McKenzie came on in the 91st minute, shortly after Ike Ugbo, just transferred from Chelsea, put Genk up 1-0. Van den Brom showed a propensity for using McKenzie as a last minute sub last year, so this fits a pattern. Mark came on for Ito, so it was an formation change extra defender sub.

5. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    McKenzie came in as sort of an RCB, and had a dangerous collision with his own keeper making a catch which thankfully resulted in everyone being fine and the keeper managed do hold on. He was also beaten for a header he could have won, but cleaned up one of the last Anderlecht chances with a solid clearance.

McKenzie headed away a last minute cross and a last minute corner as well, as he was a magnet for the ball in the last couple of minutes. Solid job in a short appearance.

6. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Transfer window closed, Lucumi still there. There goes McKenzies chances at a call up in Oct/Nov and maybe further.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He could always beat him out for PT right?

8. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Sure its possible, Lucumi is one of the best CBs in Belgium though and I wonder how much McKenzie expected him to have been sold by now. Not a horrible situation, just not ideal.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's peculiar. Wasn't McKenzie a big purchase by the club? And he's played well by all accounts yet his competition seems to be air tight.

10. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Same thing happened last season at Genk. They bought Daniel Muñoz expecting Joakim Mæhle to leave. Joakim stayed and they played a 5 man back line so both could play until Joakim was sold in January.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Genk does the thing where they look worse against a 10 man team than a 11 man team, and give up a 90+5 equalizer to a 10 man opponent.

I couldn't get a good look at the equalizer and can't find a highlight. McKenzie was in the area where the header was scored from, but I think he was just chasing his man and it wasn't his man who scored.

Other than that I thought he looked solid. Usually wins his 1v1 match ups in transition and can quickly find a teammate, and is winning more headers than I remember, usually to team mates too. In half court possession his passing still isn't that dangerous. Usually content to make the simple obvious pass.

14. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020

Found it : https://www.rtbf.be/sport/football/...-deuxieme-premier-succes-pour-ohl?id=10840856

Can confirm it was NOT McKenzies man. Great header too, far post.

15. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    McKenzie on the bench in the Europa League today, vs Rapid Wien.

edcrocker repped this.
  16. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McKenzie comes into the game in stoppage time to see out a 1-0 lead.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Gorky repped this.
  17. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    A lead they took immediately before his substitution. McKenzie gets more <5 minute appearances than any Yank in memory.

18. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    most <5 minutes appearances from a centerback I’ve ever seen

19. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Wonder what is up with it tbh. Either his coach just really loves to do the whole "Extra defender as a last 5 minutes sub to see games out" that i feel like i am seeing less and less, or its something else.

if i wanted to stay positive it could be that the coach really likes mckenzie and wants to continue to get him work in games and groom him into an every other game rotation starter.

20. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Pretty sure it's basic tactics - we're bunkering in the last few minutes, why not add another CB who will be an extra big body on crosses into the box, etc. To be fair, I think I've seen him do it at least 5 times, and it has worked well enough each of those times, but I'm not sure it was more effective than just continuing to play.

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I remember of last season, van den Brom didn't like to make subs in general.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PalmettoSpur, edcrocker, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  24. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020

I did not see the game but apparently McKenzie shared some blame for the goal against due to a coverage error. Though then I heard he got better in the second half and made a lot of defensive stops. His fotmob rating was also 7.3.

25. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Winoman, madvillain, edcrocker and 3 others repped this.