Brave Nieuw World: Mark McKenzie at Genk

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sebsasour, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    #626 Ray Shoesmith, Apr 24, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    TBF I watched the two matches before he got benched, before this run, and he did look poor to me. Genk can play very nice ball, but when the field gets stretched the D can have to defend players running at them with a lot of speed and space very often. It can get hectic, and it‘s tough. He lost his mark and made a few poor decisions that definitely cost the team. Still, if he can come through this it will only make him stronger.
    I‘ve watched quite a bit of Vines and Antwerp, and boy when the game opens up, it freaking opens up. These players have a lot of defending to do.
    If both can pull off solid seasons next year we should be real happy, and moves are possible. We shall see.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Genk wins 4-2. Exciting game. Back and forth. Genk took the lead on a FK in like the 88th. Genk looked good overall, much better than they have looked in the recent past.

McKenzie played fine. Seemed to be a RCB in a 3 man backline. Overall did not stand out. Had a few nice long balls that found his teammates only for them to lose it.

Was beat by a half a step on the first goal and let his man send in a cross from the endline that was eventually banged in.

Had a nervy moment late in the game, like the 90th, hesitated on a ball on the edge of his box expecting the GK to take it. The GK was not there, so McKenzie had to perform an emergency header and it bounced over his late arriving GK before it was eventually cleared. They never showed the replay so I couldn't see the full context but it wasn't great.

But a nice and what will definitely be overlooked play was very late in the game he was able to take down a clearance calmly and instead of booking it upfield like his team was doing, he played it forward to the RB and a few seconds later it was in the net for an insurance goal.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Other team scores before the half. A totally open header between the two CBs.

Hard to tell who is more at fault because the attacker was just all alone in the middle of the box. It looks like McKenzie was floating far post and covering an attacker at that position at least. Lucumi was in no mans land - not even sure what he was doing, he was way too far away from the center of the box.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Jupiler has seen something uncommon this season: a newly promoted club that dominates the top league in a country.

Royal Union got promoted from the First B last season and now has a solid shot to top the league, 3 points ahead of Brugge in the Championship Group (winner goes straight to the Champions League group stage).

Genk is in the second playoff group, with the #5-#8 teams, fighting for a ticket to the Europe Conference, their only chance of continental football next season. So far they're out of it, with three more games to go after this one.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  7. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Genk give up a stoppage time equalizer for a 2-2 draw.

McKenzie went the distance.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in the squad today?

9. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    #634 JUnionFan, May 10, 2022
    Last edited: May 10, 2022
    This is what I as afraid of. I know 1.5 season isn't a long time but at this point I don't know if I have faith in Genk to develop him anymore. I'm starting to think he may need to consider moving on.

I forgot to update this thread, but the late goal they gave up last game was from an attacker McKenzie was covering. It was a good pass into the striker who was in line with McKenzie. Striker dribbles into the box, McKenzie is on him, half a step behind but trying to body him up. But the striker pushes through the challenge and scores.

Not a horrible terrible play or anything, was just beat by a good striker who was giving him AND Lucumi trouble all game. Something that happens to all CBs anywhere.

But if Genk won't even have in in the squad in the next game - assuming it is because of this, to be clear maybe McKenzie is injured or something in which case I will edit this - then that shows me Genk has no interest in letting McKenzie work through bad plays and develop and grow better. And how is a CB supposed to get better?

First edit: I just saw the lineup and even Lucumi has been benched. This is kind of hilarious. So Cuesta and Sadick are starting instead. I legit never saw a team rotate their CBs as much as Genk since I started following them. Its feels kind of crazy to me, how in the world are you supposed to develop chemistry and faith in your players like that.

10. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    #635 JUnionFan, May 10, 2022
    Last edited: May 10, 2022

4 CBs with 20+ appearances in 38 league games is crazy.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hopefully next season he can cement himself as an outright starter as the team rebuilds for better things.

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure you wrote the same post about a year ago.

13. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

odds are it will be his job to lose next year

14. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    A year too late, and requires the player to publicly announce it, but hey it's a start!

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I remain ever positive.

Suyuntuy and Winoman repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Pretty good interview from today:

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So I take it he and Heath no longer do the Orange Slices podcast?

20. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Also I am just now learning that apparently Genk is going to get another new coach? I couldn't find any articles but their fans are talking like their current coach has announced he will leave soon. So that's another round of upheaval at the club...

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's a shame he's played himself out of a spot with the NT but I still feel he has a chance in the pool in the years ahead.

22. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1550211668298403845 is not a valid tweet id

23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Jhon Lucumi is a screaming sell!!! Where are the buyers?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    The Colombian CB's at Genk were suppose to be sold last summer.. Looks like the offers never came in for them though and now with Lucumi's deal running down a newly promoted team will take him on a cut rate price.

Hopefully it helps with PT for McKenzie.

25. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Is he? I have watched enough of this team to say I am a bit disappointed in Mark, my opinion, but none of the other guys are all that great.
    I know Lucumi had Sevilla? interest when Mark got there, but I have seen nothing to suggest he is a sure LaLiga player.
    With money short it’s not worth the gamble anymore.