Brasileiros "gringos": Brazilians playing for other nations thread

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by soccer krazy, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    When we play well, we do play well. But when we the seleccao are off, its ugly to watch, we are literally horrible. Surprisingly, Croatia won and took Ukraine off the map, so we are going to be seeded, avoiding the big boys...

Heres hoping we see you guys in South Africa.

P.S: The piece that is missing from that lineup is Manuel Fernandes, as soon as he becomes healthy again, he should replace Raul Meireles(Blatantly avg. player) immediately.

I am salivating at the though of having Manny on the pitch! He plays the EXACT same position for Valencia.

2. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    The Russian FA is trying to convince central defender Rodolfo to naturalize Russian and represent them in the 2010 WC.
    At least the player is not sure about that although he says he feels a bit Russian already, but that he still dreams of playing for Brazil.

welp there most likely goes another one.

3. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    the guy's been there for not even 2 years. hilarious. this fast-tracking is a joke. guys like roger guerreiro and the 2 tunisian brazilian guys were too. i was glad that a dutch court rejected kalou's naturalization (from ivory coast). so we'll see about rodolfo.

said he played once for brazil u23 pre-tournament. but im not sure if that's a valid FIFA game. probably not. if it were to count, he wouldnt be eligible for russia since i think the rule is that you needed to have had the dual citizenship at the time of your call-up to a youth team.

4. Sharles

Sharles New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    ''my own world''
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  5. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  6. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    i meant to post that yesterday but it slipped my mind. yea really won't Brazil B smh

7. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I didn't know but Cacau is playing for Germany. I know they already had Kuranyi who was Brazilian born, but Cacau grew up in Brazil and played for youth teams up until he turned professional.

I wonder if we will one day see Brazilian players playing for England or Argentina :p

9. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    yes he has already been capped by Germany. also Sammir a brazilian whose been playing in Croatia for a couple of years now has stated he's like to play for Croatia.

10. arun10

arun10 Member

May 31, 2005
    Cacau is on fire!!!!

11. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Cacau is indeed on fire.

12. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    although to be honest -- because we're in a brazil forum, being an on-fire striker in germany means nothing. at least historically. mario gomez, kuranyi, klose, podolski. these guys outside of klose have done nothing for germany. and even klose has disappeared off the face of the earth. and the leading scorer in germany is a nobody, Kiessling -- who is also on the team.

13. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  14. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Decent read though i thought it was going to be in Portuguese. But they leave out some interesting random facts that they probably should have included. What age they left Brasil for Portugal, where they were born, or if they would have ever gotten capped for Brasil.

Personally, I always believed Deco would have been called up eventually, although his stint wouldn't have been as long for Brasil as it has been with Portugal(4 tournaments). Although I will admit myself his 1st choice was always Brasil....

For Pepe, the situation is a little different I believe. He would have probably been called up eventually as well, but he stated on numerous occasions that he didn't want to be called up by Brasil, he wanted to represent Portugal. I think in large part that has to do with the relationships he developed here, in particularly his wife. He even learned the hino immediately, and was seen singing it the first game. Deco in comparison never really learned it and only recently could be seen mumbling it(Although he earned my utmost respect when he complete a flying karate kick against the Netherlands in WC06)

With Liedson the same occured as with Deco. I think his obvious choice would have been Brasil, but your guys talent pool, and Portugal lack there of in that position, led to his callup.

I've also noticed a few stories in Brasil media of Brasilian players "calming" to be called up or asked to be called up. Or using Portugal as a threat in order to be called up, which is worrying and annoying.

However I do think it is a representation of what is occurring in Portugal. Every year thousands of people from the former "colonies" enter Portugal for what ever reason, and the same can be said for Brasil. I believe at the moment there is approximately 500,000 to 750,000 Brasilians residing in Portugal. So while I do understand the displeasure of being called "Brasil B", or fakes, or what have you. It is a decent representation of the populous as well...

Take it or leave just my insight.

15. Sharles

Sharles New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    ''my own world''
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Amauri got his first call up for Italy for the friendly with Ivory Coast.

16. Andr3sfc

Andr3sfc Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Manaus
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    shame on him, and on his crap NT.

17. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    shame on him how??

smh don't act surprised. We all knew he was gonna play for Italy...same for Thiago Motta.

18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't see any use for Amauri for us in 2014 anyways. He would have been useful for this year's Cup, but I think we will be served well with strikers in 2014.

19. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    i think amauri would have been useful for this cup had he been on form, as our 4th striker. but unfortunately, he was crap.

to be honest, it's a very surprising call-up. compare the "renovacao" going on under italy's new coach. he calls up and starts a 30 year old uncapped player who's out of form?!? :rolleyes: he should already be looking to 2014, which is why i understand calling up a mediocre balotelli now.

20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    he's looking to 2012 which is Italy's next objective smh. have yall forgotten 2012 Euros already people?

21. Milyc

Milyc Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Shame on you, and on your crap comment.

22. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Douglas (FC Twente), 22 year old defender, is waiting for a call by Bert v. Marwijk. He's allowed to play for the Netherlands in about a year.

Won't be suprised if he'll get a call, has been one of the better defenders in the Dutch League and the Netherlands isn't full of talented central defenders.

23. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    menezes is an idiot if he doesn't call him up (he'd certainly be good enough as a top 4 defender for brazil). i've been keeping tabs on him for about 2 years. considering brazil only have a few good young defenders, i'm actually surprised he wasn't called up. i also think his opinions about brazil not needing a player like him are a bit short-sided.

hopefully, douglas gets transferred before he can get citizenship, like kalou. :D

24. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    As you can see, we have not paid enough attention to Holland and Spain.... the 2 countries who did well in the WC.... oh well.....

25. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    i actually dont know the last time we called up a dutch-based player. possibly afonso alves or alex before their transfers to the EPL.