Brasileiros "gringos": Brazilians playing for other nations thread

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by soccer krazy, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    he was pretty old when he was at his peak i think...31

2. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Portugal had 3 Brazilians on the field at the same time ... Deco, Pepe, and Liedson. That must be a record if you're not ... well ... Brazil.

Liedson scored the goal that may have kept Portugal in the race for the World Cup. They are hanging by a thread in 4th place at the moment.

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's all but mathematically impossible for Portugal to take first place in their group now. They can certainly take second, but it won't be easy, and if they do take second they're at the mercy of a random draw - they could, for example, face a playoff with Turkey or France to reach the World Cup.

5. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    They need to beat Hungary twice first! and Sweden needs to lose to Denmark, if Sweden wins then its all over for them, and to be honest, the don't deserve to go to the WC. They've been god awful, i hope they don't go either.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Denmark are pretty much qualified. They probably won't even play Sweden that hard. Portugal is pretty screwed.

7. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Euro 2004 all over again .

8. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    yeah i agree. unfortunately for our cousins, playing malta and albania are all but assured victories for the swedes. and either way, we'll always hear the conspiracy theories. sweden and denmark are pretty buddy-buddy sometimes. they could just "play" for a draw on purpose. italian conspiracy theorists will say that that happened to them in their group with sweden and denmark.

9. Sinestro

Sinestro New Member

Aug 18, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wow Leidson scored for The Luso's. Good for him. Who else are they going to nationalize?

10. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    won't be surprised if he guns for Hulk.

11. Sinestro

Sinestro New Member

Aug 18, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah I mentioned that a while ago. The FPF is a purgatory for brazilian players. Hulk will not be called up this year by the CBF. I would like him to be tried out. Dunga has his base and would like to see do a scrimmage with some national base players against a 2nd or 3rd tier team to tryout some new talents and workout some bugs. You know a team B.

12. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I totally agree. Hulk unlike most of the team, seems to be the most hungry. but he has a long career ahead of him, I'm hoping to see him more.

13. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was funny. Leidson gets Portugese nationality last month then immediately scores... their only goal.

14. Sinestro

Sinestro New Member

Aug 18, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah it's ironic how him and Messi just conquer at club level but nt level they a below par

15. thetaylor310

thetaylor310 Member

Jul 30, 2004
    São Paulo-SP, BRASIL
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As always, our luso cousins are having their heated debate about Portugal being the "Brasil B" team... yet, Deco and Liedson both made goals on their estréias pela seleção portuguesa

16. Sinestro

Sinestro New Member

Aug 18, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The Luso's again saved by another nationalized brazuca Pepe. Pepe and Leidson keeping the pulse alive Portugal. Talk about brazilian irony...Where is the next Eusebio? Will it be Hulk or Leidson.. Cristiano is just has Rivaldo luck with the nt.

17. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    hulk just got to portugal a year ago. i think we will call him up after the world cup.

the one player we have to be careful not to lose is Ederson from lyon -- juninho's replacement on that team. he's already eligibile for french citizenship and is only 23. he's been in France for 5 years.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And that goal was from a Deco cross :p

19. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Way too many Brasilians on the team.

But I was looking through Portugal's demographics. And having 2 Brasilians on the team would actually serve the NT well as it equals the % of the population in the country that are Brasilian and currently residing in Portugal :D(Close to 1 million Brasilian live in Portugal, mostly in Lisboa and Porto).

So in retrospect, its about 10 % of the Portuguese populus lets assume, Portugal has a 23 man roster, 3 Brasilian born players = 13% ...lol..Damn it, we should have stuck with only 2 (8.9%)...we are desperate what can I say.

But it is a worrying trend. From my understand there are players in Brasil that have used Portugal as a poker chip so to speak, to get on the Brasilian Seleccao. I have nothing against Brasilians or Brasil, but I do want my Seleccao to be represented by its populous. A worrying trend indeed.

In terms of Hulk, well, you guys might want to read this...

"Hulk não fecha a porta a Portugal"

[​IMG]

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=175890

http://www.record.pt/noticia.aspx?id...0-000000000017

And thats the thing that I have a problem with. A player settling for Portugal rather then wanting to play for the country. In Pepe case, I was happy to have him from the start, I guess the fact that he married a Portuguese women and developed in the Liga Sagres had a part to do with it(He had the NT anthem in his ipod too!).

But when you look at Deco and now Hulk, who have declared their goal is/was Brasil primarily...well, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Hulk has only been in the country for 1 year as well...

Deco definitely proved his respect in my books after the WC game against Netherlands though with his high flying karate kick :)

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'd feel the same way, but ...I bet that bad taste will be gone really quick if they ever help Portugal win a competition ;)

21. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Com certeza...we have to qualify 1st.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Liedson ... one more important goal for Portugal.

23. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yep. Hes a very hard working player I must admit. He was very often coming all the way back past the half line and helping to retain possession. It was a very nice header for his goal.

Simao scored the other 2.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And you did it without Ronaldo for the most part. Very nice ... you guys are back into contention.