News: Brasileirão 2023 Série A

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, Feb 14, 2023.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Apr 15, 2023.
  1. Palmeiras

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Flamengo

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Fluminense

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Corinthians

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Atlético-MG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Paulinho wrapping up the artilheiro award with yet another goal.

Felipão has said he is staying next year. Atlético-MG will be among the top 3 favorites again probably, based on their segundo turno, coach and roster.

celito repped this.
  2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wish we would have gotten him. Although I can't complain with recent results.

I think Hulk left his future up in the air for next season. Not sure if his contract is up.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This iis so silly synching up the kickoff time for the 2nd half. What if one game has 10 mins in 1st half due to long VARs and etc ...

Ombak repped this.
  4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Santos have tied, but that's not enough, they still need to beat Inter, or for one of Vasco or Bahia to concede.

Inter have scored twice since Botafogo tied, which makes Flamengo a lot safer now.

EDIT: Bragantino have scored, which for now means Vasco are in the relegation zone! Santos is out.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Bahia City 3 x 1

Looks like it's between Vasco and Santos.

6. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Would be cruel, but, if both Vasco and Santos can win, Bahia stay in the bottom 4. Right now Bahia goals don't matter much anymore.

celito repped this.
  7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oh yeah .... never mind. I overreacted to Bahia's 3rd goal

Must be the cachaça I am drinking. :ROFLMAO:

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am sticking to Palmeiras x Cruzeiro ... but I kind of want to watch the Vasco and Santos games for drama sake ... :ROFLMAO:

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Vasco are up a man after Bragantino got a red card.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Cruzeiro draw level. My guess for this game was a draw.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Vasco scores !!!!

Santos now needs a goal.

12. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, one more goal, but it was for Fortaleza.

Santos will be relegated for the first time in their history. Sadly the first year after Pelé's death, compounding the misfortune for the club.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's sad to see. I hope they come back next season. They really need a new stadium to generate more revenue. It's worth noting that the club also didn't qualify for the Copa do Brasil next season. They will only play the Paulistão and the Brasileiro B.

14. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And in the end, it's a predictable win for Palmeiras! With 60% of the votes in our poll, they favorites take the title.

What a boring, predictable league... ;)

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    1st time I get it right !! What do I win ??

Who else voted for us ?

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #492 Ombak, Dec 6, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
    Well, I voted for Flamengo, but I think the strangest decision, looking back, was putting Corinthians among the options.

Grêmio taking second-place, led by Suarez, is the biggest surprise though, considering this is a team that was in Serie B last year. Even if they were too good to be in Serie B, fighting for the title and being in the top 4 is a huge achievement.

Century's Best repped this.
  18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It's sad indeed. Santos, for a long time, represented Brazilian soccer, although this was of course a long time ago. And it goes to show how unpredictable soccer can be. Santos lost the Copa Libertadores final in 2020 by only one goal. If a few things had gone differently, Santos might've been the first four-time Libertadores winner from Brazil. Now, not too long after, they're in the Segundona.

Good point. Suarez now bids farewell, and with this impressive finish, Gremio returns to the Libertadores... as does Flamengo, which despite its title-less season, surpassed its revenue target and with this money, Flamengo's cartolas are sure to hunt for reinforcements as the team will have much to prove in 2024. With Tite, and if Flamengo gets those reinforcements, Flamengo may well be a force to be reckoned with next year.

Lastly, SPFC is finally back in the Libertadores, but despite its heroic Copa do Brasil campaign, I still rank it below Palmeiras and Flamengo. It'll be something of a miracle if SPFC wins the Libertadores next year; among the Brazilians, Palmeiras and Flamengo are still likelier to win it. But one step at a time; SPFC does need to go through steps to reach the top echelon in Brazilian soccer. The Copa do Brasil title was the big first step.

Except perhaps for the FIFA Club World Cup, I won't be posting on BigSoccer again until 2024. We get the 2024 Copa América draw later tonight, but other than that and Fluminense's performances against other confederations' teams, I'm done with BigSoccer for the year.

Happy holidays, all, and congratulations to all Palmeiras fans. See you guys next year.

Gregoire1 and Estuardo A. Lopez repped this.
  19. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Speaking of, I want to get that thread up by this weekend. I'll make it a sticky thread through the end of the tournament.
    Congratulations again to São Paulo (and Dorival)!

20. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Bola de Prata awards for best of the season:

https://www.uol.com.br/esporte/fute...3/12/07/selecao-bola-de-prata-brasileirao.htm

Weverton; Piquerez, Adryelson, Murilo, Mayke; Villasanti, Raphael Veiga, Arrascaeta, Pulgar; Luis Suárez, Hulk

A bit Palmeiras heavy. Despite the title, they weren't dominant, so I expected more variety.

The other relevant awards:

Artilheiro: Paulinho
    Revelação: Endrick
    Técnico (troféu Telê Santana): Abel Ferreira

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #496 celito, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    I think Piquerez, Murilo are fair picks. Mayke did very good as well but I don't know the RBs of other teams. Veiga I probably wouldn't pick as I think he didn't such a great year. But again, not sure about other players in similar position.

Down the stretch it's crazy to see some of the results that influenced the title. All teams screwed up games they should have won.

Flamengo and Palmeiras both lost to Santos at home.
    Grêmio lost to Corinthians at home with a man up.
    Atletico drew America but probably slipped the least and had the best final stretch.
    Bragantino slipped every time it looked like they could put a nose ahead.
    Botafogo ... well, Botafogo.

Ombak repped this.
  22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep. Grêmio will miss Suarez a lot if they don't replace some of his productivity. Specially if they keep leaking a lot of goals next season. He had a slow start in the Brasileirão but then got going. Incredible player.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Next year it will be interesting to see what Tite does with a full season of planning. He might not be Flamengo fans favorite style of play, but his competence is unquestionable IMO (unless the WC eliminations messed with his head). The question is what to do with Gabigol who wants a lot of money but has been riding the bench and BH who hasn't renewed yet (apparently Flamengo hasn't signed the agreement yet). Money is supposedly not an issue for the club to make good signings.

Atletico I think will be active in the transfer market and if they make the right moves could come back stronger next season. Felipão coaching from the start might be a question mark though. He has done well lately coming in midseason into a club but haven't seen him do a good full season from the start.

Palmeiras is gonna depend on Abel staying or leaving. Finding any replacement for him will be an impossible task. From his press conf yesterday I think he wants to stay but he is sending strong messages that he needs a break longer than a month to recharge his batteries which would mean missing the start of the Paulistão and also not having the obligation to win that competition. I think that's what he needs and that's what the club should offer to make him stay. He also wants commitment to get some players in the transfer window and keep the ones he deems irreplaceable. Not to mention improvement in the condition of the pitch.

24. manimal

manimal Red Card

Dec 23, 2018
    Iam devastated with santos now being delegated...... Will their youth academy take a hit from that or will that not be a problem?

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am not sure what's the state of their academy. I think they are still known for the place to go if you're a player with flair. But if you're a youth player right now, Palmeiras is the place you want to be as they've built a great program.

Santos are in trouble because they will lose a lot of TV revenue in Serie B. Back a few years ago they'd still get similar TV money in Serie B but that has changed. They also had already gotten TV revenue in advance earlier this season or last to float the club. Word is they don't have money to play workers, staff and players this final month of payroll. They will have to sell players to keep the club afloat and buyers will lowball them because they know their financial situation.

What Santos really needs is for someone to buy them to take them private. The speculation is that Neymar will be doing that at some point a bit like R9 did with Cruzeiro. Although it would probably be his father who sort of operates things. I can't see Neymar being that much involved other than using his money and name as he is the type of guy who will just want to enjoy life after he retires.

manimal repped this.