News: Brasileirão 2023 Série A

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, Feb 14, 2023.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Apr 15, 2023.
  1. Palmeiras

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Flamengo

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Fluminense

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Corinthians

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Atlético-MG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Update from my last post. Flamengo beats America 3X0 and has 62 points equal to Palmeiras who is ahead for goal differential after Palmeiras losing 2X0. I just keep saying JUST WOW !
    Wednesday Fla has a crucial match against GALO !

2. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Agreed. This team was a force to be reckoned with no primeiro turno but if only the segundo turno counted, it'd be headed to the segundona. It's almost as if Botafogo doesn't want to win the Campeonato Brasileiro, even though of course it does, with its consistent chokes.

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    If Flamengo pulls it off, it'll be a hell of a "dar a volta por cima" after all the disappointments in 2022. And, it would also be a testament to how Tite's arrival stabilized the team (and a reminder that with the national team undergoing a very painful transition, of how stable and consistently competitive Brazil was with Tite). If Tite had been the manager from January, there's no way in hell Flamengo would have been eliminated from the Libertadores in the round of 16.

But if Palmeiras is the champion, it'll be yet another jewel on Abel Ferreira's crown.

It's truly going to be an epic finish.

IVO ! repped this.
  4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Out of Palmeiras, Flamengo, and Atlético, we are in the worst form IMO. I think Flamengo have finally started improving a bit with Tite and Atletico have been playing well. Palmerias have been eeking out results playing some bang average football. The two big trumps we have is that we have the tiebreakers vs both teams and Flamengo and Atletico play each other tomorrow. I think an Atlético win would be the best for us ... or a draw.

The fight for the last relegation spot is fierce as well. 6 teams realistically fighting not to be 17th. Vasco x Corinthians is a big one today.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Vasco up early.

Vasco 1 x 0

Vai Cai Curinthia !!!

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Romero ties up the game. Ugh ...

1 x 1

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Vasco 2 x 4 Corinthians - FT

Corinthians looking safe now. Ugh ...

Vasco with 2 tough games coming up. These dropped points may hurt big time.

8. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    OMG, Vasco deeper in the hole. Bahia winning tomorrow puts Vasco back in the Z4.

9. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A HUGE DAY TODAY !!

Attached Files:

10. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Can't watch the game right now so I did a quick check and see we're 1x0 down early to a Paulinho goal.

So far every Flamengo win under Tite has been without conceding a goal. Let's see if they can turn this around.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Atletico score the 3rd and finish the game off.

0 x 3

I have to say that by results and longevity (but not style), Felipão is probably one of if not the greatest coach in Brazilian history. Even with that 7 x 1.

Ombak repped this.
  12. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No doubt.

And now Flamengo need to pray for multiple results to stay in the race, realistically though it's most important to hold on to top 4.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is it me or most of the fans are cheering the team and not booing ?

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Endrick !!!! What a foot !!!

1 x 0

Ombak repped this.
  15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    2 x 0

Own goal off a cross

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #441 celito, Nov 29, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    Palmeiras 4 x 0 - FT

I was already celebrating a perfect night because Botafogo were drawing so I tuned into their game. Botafogo got a PK in the last 10 seconds of the game. Tiquinho converted the PK. I turned off the TV ... and then I find out Coritiba somehow tied the game up. :eek::eek::eek:

I can't believe it.

The bad news is that I think we lost Endrick (looks like hammy)... and even lost Rony with a probable broken arm. But now we need 4 points in 2 games. Probably 3 points will do as we have a decent GD over Botafogo, Atletico, and Flamengo.

Ombak repped this.
  17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    You still think Palmeiras is in the worst form right now? Admittedly, your team defeated a team which merely happens to be ranked last and which is going to the segundona in 2024. But the 3 points matter and they were rightfully earned.

Well done by Atlético-MG; Scolari defeats Tite after Tite defeated Abel. Unpredictable, este esporte chamado futebol.

I'm not sure my SPFC can ruin the party for Galo on Saturday, although a draw would certainly benefit your team (and Flamengo). Flamengo should be able to defeat Cuiabá, although your team now has a huge challenge with Fluminense visiting Allianz Parque. I for one look forward to this confrontation as it'll pit two managers who won the Libertadores recently, with one of them being the current NT manager and the other being the man I had wanted to become NT manager.

I'm not sure Diniz will spare anybody as there's no goal to be achieved in what's left of the tournament and as the Club World Cup is fast approaching. But even if he does, Palmeiras will have its work cut out for itself.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes. I still think we were in the worst form out of the 3. Beating America at home was expected although they gave Flamengo some trouble over the weekend. But like I said, one of our trumps was Flamengo and Atletico playing each other. From the highlights I saw, Flamengo had many chances to score with either near misses or the GK making good saves. Game could have been tied in the first half. It's one of those games where one team got that important early 1st goal and was able to kill the game on the counter as the other team missed their chances to equalize. I think Flamengo really missed Pulgar who was suspended.

I don't expect São Paulo to put up a fight against Atlético if that helps Palmeiras. São Paulo has nothing to play for as they are already in the Libertadores.

I believe Diniz said he won't use starters against us.

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I also really don't understand we have scored the most goals this season given our problems in attack. Flamengo and Atlético have forwards and strikers who are much more competent. Such a bizarre season.

In some other news, there are some decent rumors that Abel has already agreed with a team in Qatar and will be leaving at the end of this season. Some of his discourse in press conf. lately has been hinting at him cutting his contract a year short although many were interpreting it as trying to take the focus away from the players. His buyout clause is $3m.

Ombak repped this.
  20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The ironic thing is that as of now, your team is #1 in the league table and it therefore has a very realistic chance of winning the tournament.

It's been bizarre in the past several rounds, as Botafogo's once seemingly insurmountable lead as the heir apparent to the national championship shrank and then disappeared. As for offense, well, if your team scored more than any other team despite personnel issues, it's a testament to the roster's teamwork and to Abel's coaching - and I wonder if your team, despite its experience and talent, will perform at a similarly high level in 2024 if Abel departs. Certainly, no manager is the same and each brings pros and cons, but the Abel era at Palmeiras has been one with title after title after title. Whoever replace Abel if he does depart before late 2024 will have very large shoes to fill.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Regardless if he stays or not, we will need some roster additions / changes for next season. Leila gambled and wasn't active in the transfer market and the team suffered. We were a stronger team last season IMO. If it wasn't for Endrick coming through late in the season we wouldn't be near clinching this title. And Abel wasn't even planning on playing him that much. He only started using him as a starter after we got kicked off the Libertadores and deep inside, I think he wanted things to go wrong so he could tell the critics he was right in insisting with the players he trusted that were underperforming.

Unfortunately next season we will only be able to count on Endrick till mid season as he is slated to make his move to Madrid. That complicates things a bit in terms of planning but that's the reality in Brazil as we know it. Unless we can somehow keep him till December.

22. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Grêmio stay alive, on 62 points (4 behind Palmeiras) after winning today.

Bragantino went down 2x0 to Fortaleza, but have pulled one back and it's 2x1 at the half. If they don't at least tie, they will officially be out of contention for the title.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Cruzeiro missed a chance to basically guarantee their stay in Serie A with only a draw at home against Athletico. With Fortaleza winning their game, the fight for relegation is basically between Bahia, Vasco, Santos, and Cruzeiro. I don't think Corinthians are mathematically safe, but they should be good.

Bragantino are officially out of the title race. They really wilted under pressure.

Endrick trained normally today and will play against Fluminense. Bit of a scare yesterday. But Rony is out for the season. It's crazy the goalkeeper didn't get a red card with that challenge.

24. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Bragantino lost, so now, with 2 matches left, there are only 5 teams who can possibly win.

Palmeiras only depend on themselves.

The other four teams (Botafogo, Atlético-MG, Flamengo, Grêmio), need to win both matches and hope that Palmeiras lose both, because even if Palmeiras loses one, they have a solid lead on goal difference (and they would be tied in wins, the first tiebreaker).

Atlético-MG plays on Saturday, all other teams play on Sunday, then the final round is on Wednesday, with 10 simultaneous matches.

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Atletico really playing like crap ... but Hulk scores midway through the 2nd half. São Paulo putting in an effort but Luciano an incredible chance right prior to the goal.