Brasileirão 2022 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil: Clubs and Competitions' started by celito, Apr 3, 2022.

?

Quem leva ?

1. Atlético-MG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Flamengo

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Palmeiras

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They totally did pass the buck to him back then and made it look like it was only up to him. That's why I can see him wanting to clear the air up. Just didn't understand the "ultimatum". Probably just an extra middle finger to the FO.

Having said that, I also saw the need for Flamengo to not wait forever and make a coaching decision before instead of waiting on Benfica making a decision (unless JJ gave them some concrete inside info). IMO you don't make plans based on a hope. But I guess that's a subjective decision.

2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I felt like our timeline was way too rushed. Do we really need someone in time to gear up for the Carioca? Especially for a coach that had the success that JJ did? I'd be willing to extend my timeline under those circumstance. It was literally a week after we announced Paulo Sousa that JJ broke free from his Benfica contract. I am sure there was some posturing on both sides, but I fail to see the rush that the FO made it seem. I would have no problem using an in-house interim to start the Carioca while we finalize negotiations with JJ. If it still fell through, there was still options available.

1522253168830304256 is not a valid tweet id

JJ is one arrogant SOB, but he's a perfect fit for us and the squad we have. You would think with his personality that he would butt heads with some of the big names or established veterans like Gabigol, Diego, Bruno Henrique, etc, but it was proven to be the opposite. They bought into his methods and sung his praises. The same can't be said for PS.

celito repped this.
  3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

This is the other thing I wouldn't mind seeing if I am being honest.

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I heard that he was having dinner with CBF people the other day. Honestly I thought that was a good part of the reason he went to Brasil. He either loves the country or really misses something (or someone)... :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This Fla x Botafogo game started the 2nd half lit.

Botafogo took the lead but it's gonna be tough to hold the lead.

A batata do PS vai assar se não ter uma virada.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gatito with 2 incredible finger tip saves in this 2nd half.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That Fluminense x Galo game was crazy. Watched part of it.

8. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Much better Cartola mid-week for me, largely cause I had 3 Palmeiras players and Abel and Hulk.

During the weekend I made the mistake of relying on Flamengo against Fortaleza...

And now with a new coach I will probably be tempted to get Flamengo players again.

Palmeiras now 1 point ahead of Corinthians in first place with just over 25% of the matches played.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Things are really clicking for us. But things are still tight from 1st to 7-9th.

Wish we had a full team vs Galo this past weekend.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Flamengo really dug themselves a hole in the Brasileirão. I wasn't expecting them to be this much of a mess. BH injury is a big blow but Cebolinha is coming in and might pick up the slack.

Botafogo with an incredible come from behind win against Inter after being down 2 x 0 and short a man from the 5 min mark. Crazy finish in that game.

The PKs given to Corinthians and Internacional AFTER the ref did a VAR check were really scandalous. Something needs to be done. Corinthians really annoying me as the keep pulling out wins ... but their schedule gets really tough now. They played a lot of weaker teams up to now.

11. reefz

reefz New Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Why do I think that Ganso is the best meia in Brazil… am I crazy or is it really so?

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I guess there is no need for a separate thread for CdB games.

Flamengo really ran over Atletico yesterday with a great performance. Arrascaeta had a superb game. It's a different team with him on. Corinthians are through and Fortaleza held off Ceara for their spot in the QF.

And now we just turned the tie over vs Sao Paulo in the first 15 mins.

If Palmeiras confirms this score, it would be 4 of the same teams in the QF of CdB and Libertadores.

Ombak repped this.
  13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I haven't watched much of Flu ... but seems like he finally found a spot in Diniz's system.

Ombak repped this.
  14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Man...Veiga messed up. 2 PK misses. Game was over. Gave that one away.

15. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Inb4 Ganso appears on the 55 man preliminary roster for the World Cup...

Just kidding... or am I?
    I was ready to post here as soon as that second goal went in. At the time it felt like Palmeiras scoring 2 so quickly was a reflection of how superior they are right now. Flamengo did run over Atletico MG as you said, but didn't score the first until 46mins in the first half.

But I waited... and Palmeiras missed a PK, Sao Paulo scored on and the game ended 2x1, and Sao Paulo wins on penalties...

celito, you jinxed it! (Of course since I'm not a Palmeiras fan, I could have posted and it would not have counted as a jinx).

Already the narrative today was about Flamengo turning around their season, at least looking good for CdB and Libertadores with the new reinforcements coming and the 7x1 win and yesterday's win.

Tomorrow the narrative is going to be if this is the beginning of Palmeiras slipping and Flamengo rising to challenge in the Brasileirao as well (even though this is a CdB game).

But Palmeiras also have reinforcements coming and they're prohibitive favorites in the league. Just a big surprise they could not add more goals after the 2x0 start today.

celito repped this.
  16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep. We had our chances to expand the score today. Just didn't happen. And the PK conceded right after the PK miss was a punch in the gut. What a case of .... "quem não marca toma".

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Almost half a season gone and it's looking like it will be quite a race for the title.

- We are struggling but still hanging on to 4 point lead. Players look a bit exhausted. We were lucky not concede the draw yesterday on the last play of the match. America had unbelievable miss right at the whistle.
    - Corinthians are not fading and looks like they will get stronger.
    - Atletico are playing bad, but still in 3rd. They fired Turco so we will see what happens.
    - Fluminense not sure how long their form will last, but it's not only wins with them, they are playing well.
    - Inter and Athletico I'd expect them to fade.
    - Flamengo are the hottest team right now and I think can still make a run. But they are battling on 3 fronts and that could cost them a comeback. I am pretty sure most want Libertadores as the priority.

Ombak repped this.
  18. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It will definitely be interesting to see how Flamengo play the Brasileirão. I agree Libertadores is the priority, but with the incoming transfers they will try to stay in contention for all 3 as long as they can.

It looks like Flamengo are getting a new right-back finally and midfielder Walace may be closer to joining too. Supposedly they want another wide forward before the window closes in mid-August.

Palmeiras seems to be integrating their two new forwards well.

Atletico firing Turco and getting Cuca back makes the QF with Palmeiras more interesting, but I feel like Palmeiras are huge favorites.

August and September are going to be really intense months.

Copa do Brasil QFs start tomorrow, Libertadores QF next week.
    Then the semis happen immediately after. Then there's an international break in which Arana, Pedro and Wéverton could miss a few Brasileirão matches. If anyone else goes (Santos? Éverson? Veiga?) that could have a huge impact.

Segundo turno is going to be fun.

celito repped this.
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    VAR has made many sports programs discussions truly unbearable.

Ombak repped this.
  20. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There are certain pundits I skip over now. One of the criteria is decibels.

The refereeing in Flamengo x Athletico was definitely bad, not just poor, and against both teams, but fixing this is going to take time. People who yell about firing all the refs, including the new guy at the top who just started two weeks ago aren't worth listening too.

Flamengo dug themselves a hole by not finishing an unreal number of chances. Some hit the post, some were bad luck, and some were misses that Gabigol can't afford to be making.

They can still win it away. Hopefully the refereeing is better, but then, if Flamengo loses and the refereeing is good, fans are going to feel "cheated" because of the cera in the first match.

Meanwhile Corinthians losing 2x0 to Atl. Goianiense is quite something.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hate to mention it, but Aronco que a grotesque performance in the Palmeras x Ceara game.

22. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As I understand it he missed a clear PK in the first half then called a soft or nonexistent one as a make-up later?

At least Palmeiras left with the win.

Reffing wasn't great in the Flamengo game either but it was far less critical. 8 minutes of added time in the first half though was bizarre... and 7 in the second. 15 extra minutes in a 4x1 game that was not close.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep. But he also needed VAR for the last man foul on Dudu which lead to a red card and was pretty damn clear. I don't blame him for missing the PK that Gomez committed. A lot of stuff happening with plays in the box like that. VAR should have been called. The make up PK was pretty ridiculous.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Finally a win without much suffering. 6 pts lead over 2nd place now but Flamengo, who's probably still the most likely to challenge for the title, beat Sao Paulo with a mixed (or B) team which continues to be impressive. I was hoping Flamengo would drop points away at the Morumbi as they historically have trouble there.

We have a brutal August schedule coming up now. Corinthians (A), Flamengo (H), then Fluminense (A). If we can get through this patch and maintain our lead, it will be a huge step towards the title. But it will be very difficult. I'd take a W,D,D in these 3 games. 7 points would be awesome.

My prediction for the titles are:

Brasileirao - Palmeiras
    Copa do Brasil - Fluminense
    Libertadores - Flamengo

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Good game this Athletic x Flamengo game even if it's still 0 x 0.

Flamengo starting to break down Athletico in the 2nd half. Feels like it's a matter of time.