Brasil all-time draft - Discussion Thread 3

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Redshift, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oops, yeah Andrade is who I meant to say for volante. Dequinha was a great offensive midfielder on the Flamengo teams in the mid 1950's.

2. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Should I just direct him to the judges thread? You can get in contact with him directly if you want at this website:http://www.futebolthebrazilianwayoflife.com/talk_futebol.html

I opened opened a "thread" there about this. You will see it, it's impossible to miss. It's under Brazilian All-time Draft help from Mark Lowden

3. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    It's happened to me too many times, I usually copy and paste when I write a lot just to make sure.
    I appreciate the statistics. They are incredible. Unfortunately in this particular discussion I don't think those kinds of statistics from Alex (especially because of the league he plays in) mean much to be honest. Playing in the Turkish league is one thing and playing for the Seleção is a whole different story. Alex has impressive numbers in the Turkish Superliga while Adriano has already compiled impressive numbers with the Seleção consistently ( e.g WCQ, Copa America, Confederations). Alex for Adriano would certainly change the offensive style of the team, the team would gain in some areas and lose in others. My idea that the team would be a bit more defensive is based on both substitions you suggested rather than just one of them.
    I think I did mention the olympics but I guess I should have made myself more clear. No biggie.
    I'll take your word for it. Again no biggie.
    Well, what can I say. I can't fault you for having an opinion, the only problem now is that we may never find out if they would be unstoppable or not. We can't even find out which line-up would be better/more effective.
    He is both IMO. Watching him consistently should be enough evidence that he is one of the best playmakers in the world as well as a great linker and ball conductor (as so very well described him). I could start bringing up hundreds of examples but let's just start with Liverpool x Milan 1st half champions league finals.
    It's interesting you would describe it that way because I see all of these qualitites in Kaká. Besides the Milan x Liverpool match, I have seen a number of occasions where he has put Milan on his back, most notably in a couple of Inter x Milan derby matches. I basically have the same views of what a player needs to be to be considered a craque, I don't take the word lightly. I think that where we differ is in our views of Kaká as a player. You have shown by your comments (not only in this discussion, but in other posts you've made about Kaká) that you don't consider him to be the player I consider him to be.

If your main point here is that Adriano is not yet a craque, I agree. My only point was that when he is put in a position where he is surrounded by craque's like when he plays for Brasil (as opposed to when he is with Inter) he is that much more dangerous and I think he's proven that. I understand you think the current team should start at this point, but I think your point is also that if we were sitting here in April 2005 you would suggest that the starting line-up is changed to the one you suggested: Edmilson, Gilberto Silva; Kaká, Alex, Ronaldinho; Ronaldo.
    The problem here is that you are describing the Rivaldo of years ago. If that was the case I would agree with you, but that Rivaldo has been long gone for a very, very long time. Sure, he is still a really good and serviceable player and would probably be selected to many national teams (maybe even start for some) around the world, but not this national team. Some would say even his excellent performance in the 2002 World Cup was nothing more then an abberration since his his form for Milan was seriously in question before the cup. Now he is doing a good job in Greece but nothing to write home about (and I think you have to consider the league he is in). We are talking about a league that is certainly not one of the 5 best in the world and arguably just barely in the top 10.
    I just don't think it's fair. If we can scream and yell about Alex being in the cup because he has done what is necessary and has proven to be better than Ricardinho it would be almost hypocritical to suggest Kleberson should be called up when he has done nothing to deserve the chance in comparison to other players in his position. A number of players have done more in the past few years that deserve the call up before him like Renato, Julio Baptista, Edmilson (have to mention him because he'll take up one of these spots on the bench) Mineiro and maybe even Thiago Motta. The advantage Kleberson would have is that he has performed for Brasil on the highest stage so his experience would be a factor but he's done very little in the past few years to merit a call up.
    Yeah but you have suggested calling up one lateral esquerdo for both your starting XI (with Zé on the bench) and for Parreira's current one where Zé starts. With the current XI, If something did happen to RC and he was the only LE, Parreira would be forced to make two major changes instead of one. Taking Zé out of the midfield and putting him in as the lateral esquerdo where he has not played in years and has never played with this Seleção and putting in a midfielder who more than likely (when you look at the options) could not fulfill the role that ZeRo currently plays. So If R.Carlos missed a game for whatever reason, not having a back-up LE would dramatically change the dynamic of the team on the left side of the field.

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah, absolutely direct him to the thread. Thanks, I'll send him an e-mail.

5. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Dam ASF..you got 4/11th of Inter 75 Squad...Manga...Cacapava...Carpegiani...Falcao... nice going.

6. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I added my tactics/ formation to the judges thread. ;)

7. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am typing this one in Word. =)

It’s very easy to underestimate the Turkish league, particularly since its strong points are precisely marking, defense, and pegada. If you look at the goals Alex scored or assists made (many of them being in the famous video), you will find that the vast majority of them involve an incredible amount of skill or vision. The free kick goals certainly are beyond reproach, as it is just as hard to do in Turkey as Italy. Not everything carries the same weight, but .78 assists per game this year is remarkable no matter where you are… if it were so easy to do, you’d see more players in the Superliga doing it, and you don’t.

I don’t think it’s impossible to find this out, because if Alex goes to the WC, I fully expect him to win the spot from Kaka or from another starter. As I was mentioning before, there have been occasions where Kaka was the starter and Alex a sub where the reserve team beat or tied the titulares with brilliant assists / participation by Alex. That would be hard to ignore during the WC, as would the pressure of him coming into a game and proving to be decisive.

From the time when they were both playing in Brasil (Tostão’s words, not my own):
    “Kaká é um jogador excepcional [...] mas continua tentando, excessivamente, driblar e arrancar do meio-campo à área. Quer repetir alguns momentos brilhantes. Ele tem de descobrir o momento exato para fazer isso.”
    “Kaká não tem a criatividade, a visão ampla e coletiva e o passe certeiro e às vezes surpreendente do Alex. O meia do Cruzeiro também finaliza bem e é excepcional nas bolas paradas. É o melhor jogador que atua no Brasil.

Falta ao Alex a mobilidade, forca física, velocidade e agressividade do Kaká. Ninguém é perfeito.”

and more recently:

“Kaká tenta mais jogadas individuais. Acerta e erra mais. Quando perde a bola, propicia o contra-ataque. No Milan, ele tem tocado mais a bola. Os técnicos italianos gostam do jogador que acerta muito e do que erra pouco. Ao contrário do Kaká, Alex não joga mal porque erra muito e sim porque aparece pouco.”

“Na maior parte de um jogo, Alex é apenas um bom meia ofensivo. Toca a bola e pouco dribla. Espera o momento certo para brilhar. Alex é um jogador de detalhes, de poucos, precisos, belos e decisivos lances."

“O craque precisa esperar o momento certo para brilhar, como faz o Alex.”

Kaka is a better athlete, he uses his superior physical abilities and superb technique to greater effect. Alex has by far the greater understanding of the game, IMO, and is the craque and better footballer – he relies more on his mind, vision and skill than his physical attributes. He’s not as fast as Kaka, or as good of a high speed dribbler (though he is still exceptional), but his passing is in a different league. Maybe I value passing too much, but I think it’s probably the most important basic aspect of the game.

I am not saying that you do take it lightly… merely that I don’t use the word like many do. A lot of people see someone do something that requires extreme skill and label that player a craque. It takes more for me… there is a strong mental aspect that needs to be considered. Like I said, I think Kaka is the closest to being considered a craque, but he still needs to show and accomplish more.

We definitely have a different view of him. I see him more of a striker or meia-atacante than a midfield playmaker, someone to conclude rather than create plays (there is nothing wrong with that). He excels at conducting the ball, and he can make a short pass to find a teammate in space… but when have you seen him being a organizational force in midfield, playing defense splitting through balls, or making yourself question how the hell he saw a particular thing. He has the technique and habilidade, but not the creativity of an Alex or Ronaldinho. These two often decide what they are going to do with a ball before it reaches them… it gets to them and it’s on it’s way somewhere else. I rarely see Kaka try such a thing. Again, nothing wrong with this but I have my biases (look at the players I took in the first two rounds of the draft) as to what I think makes someone the better player. I don’t find the need to constantly rate things, but if you force me to choose, I choose Alex over Kaka.

Yes.

Adriano looked great at the last Copa America, but who was keeping him supplied with balls with which to score? Out of Brasil’s 13 goals, 8 were either scored or assisted by Alex – in just 5 out of the 6 games (and this says nothing about the penultimate passes which broke open the defense but are not counted as assists). Brasil lost to Paraguay, and that was precisely the game where Alex did not play. I agree that Adriano plays better when he is surrounded by craques, but I think 3 craques is better than 2.

I think you are undervaluing his achievements… sure, he isn’t setting La Liga alight, but the things he’s done would be hard to do anywhere. In the last CL, his feats even included an away victory at Bernabeu in which he scored. For a 20 minute period at the end of a game, his geniality and decisiveness would be a great asset.

Like I said, Kleberson is a marginal call. I think we have enough defensive volantes and could use one with his two way qualities and playmaking/passing ability as well as his long range shot. Out of the ones you mentioned, I’d surely take Edmilson (and I like Renato) But Kleberson is just my preference… we all have our teimosias… this is one of mine. I think he has something special, and I want him to recover his prestige.

He has played for the seleção as a LE – in France ’98 and before (though not with this one). He has occasionally played as a LE in recent years as well when needed. I disagree that it changes much, plus you get an in form player for the LE (there are very few) that has entrosamento with the current players (even fewer) and an extra slot to use elsewhere. I think this is a good way to take an extra craque… like Alex or Rivaldo.

8. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    I'm not underestimating the Turkish league, it is what it is. My point is that doing what Alex is doing in the Turkish league is one thing, doing it in one of the elite leagues in the world or for the Seleção is another. This is a fact that has been proven throughout the years, even Alex himself has been accused of underperforming for Brasil. As for the APG, I don't think anybody claimed it was easy to do, it just doesn't hold as much weight as somebody who averages less but does it in one of the elite leagues, thats just the way it is. More people don't average those assist numbers in the Turkish league because world class playmakers playing in Turkey are hard to come by. Would other world class playmakers from the elite leagues put up the same number or better in the Superliga? Your guess is as good as mine, but at the end of the day it would be nothing more than a guess.
    A) All signs point to Alex not even being selected to the world cup
    B) If some kind of miracle happened and he did get selected, the chances are slim he would start because a lot of times when Kaká or Ronaldinho were not available, Parreira simply plugged Ricardinho into the midfield with Kaká or Ronaldinho as the AMF and played more of a 4-3-1-2 instead of the 4-2-2-2.

So, I think it's safe to say that we will never be able to prove who's XI is more effective, Parreira's or Yours.
    We all agree that Kaká does not have the creativity or passing skills that Alex has (although Kaká's creativity and passing game is still world class). Again, my point is that although Kaká has many abilities he is also a world class playmaker. As you obviously know, those comments were made probably in 2003. Kaká was 21 years old at the time, Alex was 26. Since then Kaká has improved dramatically.

and more recently:

Again, all good points by Tostão but aparecer pouco também não é nada bom. This brings up another difference between the two. It is rare to see Kaká completely disappear from games, Alex is known to do this on occasion and this makes him less reliable. It's probably a big reason (whether we like it or not) that he hasn't established himself on the Seleção despite being around for so long.
    I don't think you value passing too much at all. We all know how important it is. What I sense is that you may undervalue the qualities that Kaká brings to the table and that Alex does not. Football today is based much more on speed and strength then in past years. Although Alex is slightly superior to Kaká in terms of creativity and clearly superior in terms of passing, he is inferior to him in phyical strength, speed, speed while running with the ball, and finishing. At the same time, he still has world class creativity and is a very good passer.
    We just disagree because IMO Kaká is most definitely a craque. I haven't just seen one or two great games or plays, I've seen them regularly almost on a game by game basis. Maybe it's because I watch him so much. I don't think I've missed more than 5 Milan games since Kaká got there.

I really hope you don't take offence to this because it's not meant to be offensive. How much of Kaká have you seen lately? And by lately I mean, how many Milan games have you seen this season or last season or even the year before that? I ask this because I get the feeling that if you had seen enough, you wouldn't be questioning his ability to play defence splititing through balls or his ability to see things before they happen. Again, for starters, did you watch the Milan x Liverpool CL finals last year?
    What can I tell you? I'm definitely not about to start discussing who is better because clearly you have an opinion and I can't change that. All I know is that Kaká is where he is and is considered the player he is for a reason. Where he is is not easy to acheive. He has established himself as an idol of AC Milan, has won awards for best player in Serie A, has been considered by coaches like Felipão the best player in the world, has been considered by FIFA and France Football one of the best 7 players in the world and has completely locked down a starting spot on the best national team in the world, all of this at the age of 24. I hate the fact you are making me choose against Alex, but I have to be honest with myself. If Alex was truly an overall better player than Kaká, than I have to ask myself why no big clubs have taken a chance on him. Maybe you can answer that for me. Surely they must see something in Alex that you don't because I'm certain that elite clubs know he exists.
    Adriano was also great in the Confederations Cup and Alex wasn't there. Adriano has also looked great for 3 seasons in Serie A prior to this one without Alex. Adriano also looked great in a lot of games he's played in WCQ and Alex wasn't there either. I think Adriano has done more than enough to prove he is a dangerous goalscorer with or without Alex. Based on Adrianos contributions to the Seleção, I'd go with him. There is no way I would put him on the bench after what he's done in pressure situations and big tournaments for Brasil. And I know you think the current team should start, but if there was enough time you are suggesting Alex playing for Adriano in the WC, I would never do that, not after what Adriano has done on the big occasions.
    I just don't think he's done anything to merit a spot on the team. The only reason I could imagine calling him up is because of his experience but we have enough of that as it is. When one thinks of the name Rivaldo and thinks of the things he's done, the thought of having him on your team can be very appealing, but he is just not that Rivaldo anymore.
    I personally wouldn't call him up but to each his own. If we were talking about the Kleberson of a few years back I would agree.
    I did say he hasn't played as LE on this Seleção.

I just don't agree with not calling up a back up a LE. If R.Carlos missed a game I'd rather just plug in G.Nery than to have to take ZeRo out of his midfield position (which is a position I think he's perfected for BR). On top of that I would then have to bring in J.Pernambucano, Edmilson or another midfielder who just can't do the things ZeRo can in the midfield.

9. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I beg to differ. It’s almost a circular argument we’re engaged in here: I say that you are undervaluing his achievements, and you say that you aren’t but then point to the fact that they were achieved in Turkey and not Spain or Italy. In Italy his scoring and assists might be lower, but I doubt that it would be lower to the extent that you seem to imply. In Spain, his scoring could arguably be higher. The point I am trying to make is that he went to Turkey and adapted pretty much instantly… you didn’t see a dip in form, you didn’t see a significant drop in his stats, in fact, what you saw was the opposite – for the last three years he’s been performing at the same level he did for Cruzeiro. You say Kaka has become an idol at Milan, well so has Alex at Fenerbahce (which is extremely rare for a foreign player to achieve). He, like Kaka, is recognized as the best player in the league, and has been decisive in his team’s form, perhaps more so because 48% of the team’s offensive production involves him directly in the form of a goal or an assist (this is, again, to say nothing of passes that split a defense, but are not the last pass to be made before the goal). The things Alex does (watch his 250th goal, or some of his FK goals, or his bicycle kick) wouldn’t be any harder to do in Italy or Spain… they require the same level of technique and skill to do in Turkey as any where else. or

Furthermore, you seem to be devaluing what he did with your team. No Brasilian team has ever done what Cruzeiro did in 2003. Ever. Brasilian football is far too equilibrado. Alex desequilibrou. I’ve watched football for a long time, but I’ve never seen anything quite like it. Maybe, as a Corintiano I value what your team did than you do as a Cruzeirense... that doesn’t make any sense to me, particularly if you went to the Mineirão and saw it with your own eyes.

"Mas o que mais influiu na escalação do Kaká não foram os detalhes técnicos e táticos e nem suas boas atuações nos dois primeiros jogos das Eliminatórias. Foi o fato de ele jogar bem numa das principais equipes da Europa.

Por causa da saída dos melhores jogadores e da queda de qualidade do futebol que se pratica hoje no Brasil, há um conceito ou preconceito de que para se tornar definitivamente um fora-de-série, o jogador tem de brilhar num dos grandes times da Europa. Kaká não atua melhor no Milan do que fazia no São Paulo. Mas agora ele é um craque do mundo." – Tostão

Also… let me not neglect to mention this:

If Kaka is so devastating and the Brasilian league is so easy, why couldn’t he help his team beat Corinthians or Santos in the decisive games of 2002? Why didn’t he win the Brasileiro in 2002 or 2003? At the same time, you know better than I that your team wouldn’t have come close to what it did in 2003 without Alex. Chalk it down to age if you wish… surely it was a factor, but Alex was younger too, and had things to prove just like Kaka. If you recall, it was this year that SPFC earned the nickname “Bambis”… for turning yellow in virtually every major decisive game. Kaka was the main player on that team and you certainly couldn’t accuse it of lacking supporting talent – no, what it lacked was mettle.

Nothing has been “proven,” he has been accused, quite unfairly, of “sleeping” on the field by some in the media -- particularly a certain Galvão Bueno -- which will remain unnamed.

When has Alex been given a good run of play as a titular? At the Copa America in 2004. Did he disappoint there or underperform? No. He was decisive.

Sorry for my excessive use of Tostão quotes… you see, they are quite wonderful and I’ve already had to do considerable work compiling them for the site… it would be a shame to not use them:

"Durante e após a vitória contra o Chile e até sair o primeiro gol contra a Costa Rica, voltaram com intensidade os comentários de que o Alex dorme em campo, não vibra, não tem espírito de Seleção e só joga bem em clubes. Se o Brasil perder o título, todos esses lugares-comuns serão repetidos.

Tudo que é falado nas transmissões da TV Globo, certas ou erradas, importantes ou não, é repetida pela maioria da imprensa e torcedores. Torna-se verdade. É o pensamento único, cada dia mais presente.

Parte da imprensa elege os seus preferidos, não só pela qualidade técnica, mas também pela simpatia e por darem boas entrevistas [note: eu acrecentaria a beleza tambem]. Edu, que é um bom volante, porém burocrático (parece jogador inglês), é tratado como se fosse um craque. Qualquer passe para o lado é valorizado. Quando joga mal é por causa da altitude."

“Sempre que jogar mal, vão dizer que o Alex dormiu em campo. Depois de carimbado, é difícil apagar a marca.” – Tostão

The only thing he hasn’t won with Brasil is the Confederations Cup and the World Cup (and the Olympic Football Tournament, but then, neither has anyone else). With the latter, he was never given a chance, with the former, he participated in 1999 of a very good sub-23 side that lost 4-3 to Mexico at the Azteca and managed to beat Germany (the reigning European Champions) by 4-0 and was injured during the last callup.

I challenge you to name a single player other than Alex, in any league, that has been putting up these kinds of numbers (.53 GPG, .56 APG) for three years straight. Ronaldinho has done pretty much that this year (~ .6 GPG, .4 APG), but not last year.

It would be a guess. And it’s pure speculation, but see if you can come up with someone that fits what I said above.

I can hope, and I can work hard. I am not worried about him being a titular or not… as long as he is one of the 23, things will play out.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this as we aren’t getting anywhere.

There are factors other than quality of a player that influence how well they solidify their position within the seleção. I don’t think there is any question as to Kaka being more telegenic and that his style of play (disputing nearly every ball, running back and forth, etc) gains more attention than the supposedly sonolento Alex. Tactically however, Alex’s off the ball movement, and positioning are amazing… suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, there he is, and before you know it, he’s put the striker one on one with the keeper. To save myself a lot of time, and you as well, take a look at this article, which summarizes a lot of these issues with considerably more concision than I have done. I would just add once again that half a goal and half an assist per game for three years is incredible regularity.

I think Alex and Kaka are in another league in terms of vision, passing AND creativity. I also disagree that Kaka’s finishing is all that much better than Alex’s. Kaka is definitely faster, stronger, and plays with a beautiful and objective simplicity that I think is commendable and unmatched; his nearly vertical runs and the regularity with which he pulls them off are fantastic. His stamina and fitness are also amazing, and above Alex’s capabilities… but again, to me, Alex is a footballing genius while Kaka is an exceptional player with the strong probability of being considered a craque in the future.

Perhaps I am being unfair. As I said, Kaká is probably the closest in my mind to being considered a craque and has a long career ahead of him during which he will almost certainly attain this mantle. When I said that people are too eager to throw around the word craque because of an amazing display of ability, I was not referring to Kaka. I was thinking more along the lines of Denilson.

I haven’t even read it but none taken… we’re just having a discussion. You are challenging my arguments, and there’s certainly nothing to be offended about.

He was spectacular in that game, to be sure, but Alex pulls off those kinds of passes with maddening regularity. And… (again a bit of a cheap shot) who won that title?

I confess to not seeing nearly as many Milan games as you… partly because I am not as interested in Serie A as I am in La Liga and the Brasileiro, the two main campeonatos that I follow. I’ll catch an odd Milan or EPL game here and there, but surely you’ve seen more of him than I. I respect that I may not have as a well formed opinion on him as you do, but from what I have seen (filtered through my own particular set of biases), Kaka is a conductor and concluder… not a playmaker or armador. He can make plays, but there are better playmakers. And that isn’t to say that he may not be the most important player in Milan’s offensive line and the creation of a great many of their goals.

That’s not true. My opinion is based on what I have seen. If I see things that justify considering Kaka a better player, he will be a better player in my mind… regardless of who is my favorite.

See above.

There are all sorts of factors that influence this sort of decision as well as how a player is perceived. Many teams don’t have room in their tactical systems for a player like Alex. His marketing is terrible compared to his contemporaries, and likewise, the philosophy in many places is that you adapt the players to the tactics, not vice versa. I think this is wrong… you shape the tactics to best exploit the talent, but many do not think this way.

Alex owns his own passe. He could easily have gone anywhere after that 2003 performance. IMO, if he had gone to Spain, he’d be in the running for FIFA World Player of the Year or the Ballon D’or right about now… no matter how arbitrary and subjective such ratings can be. I think the move to Turkey has been poison for his career… not because of the quality of the league or anything else, but rather for the visibility he is getting for his feats. He has never concerned himself too much with these things, however, and it is his career after all. What right do I have to second guess him? The main reason I wish he’d gone to Spain is that I’d get to see him play regularly.

Sure he did, but he had Ronaldinho, Robinho and Kaka to keep him well fed with balls.

Like I said. He should start. Kaka should start. We should use the 4-2-2-2 that has served us well lately. What we should not do is be afraid to change, and to have decisive talent on the bench. If said talent turns out to work better, I say run with it. The current Brasil team is fully capable of winning the WC without Alex… I just think that having him improves our chances significantly.

He was our best player last time around and he is still a genius. He can’t display the regularity he did before and should definitely not start, but I am willing to bet that he’d come through in a moment of desperation better than Nilmar. Rivaldo eats pressure for breakfast, lunch and dinner. As a Corintiano, I have no hesitation in saying that, great player or not, Nilmar has to show quite a bit of football to be worthy of polishing his boots. In all fairness, I’d love Nilmar to go… but what is the likelihood of him actually getting to play?

I know you did… I acknowledged that, but for having played LE on the seleção before, and that being his native position, I think he’s a natural fit. Also as a Corintiano, I am telling you… Nery’s a good lateral, but his form of late has been abysmal. Better to take someone who regularly gets playing time and has entrosamento with the group.

You are insisting on the midfield change being a big deal… I don’t think it is, and that in many ways, it would be an improvement.

10. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005

When did I even imply they would be lower? All I'm saying here is the obvious, you said I was underestimating the Turkish league when in reality all I'm saying is that I'm can't make too much of those incredible stats that Alex compiles in Turkey because Turkey is simply not one of the better leagues in the world. I don't think that's underestimating the Superliga, I just think that's a fact.

Do you realize and accept that it is much harder to do it in Italy playing for Milan than it is in Turkey playing for Fenerbahce? If you do accept that, then I believe you understand and agree with my main point.
    A FK or a perfectly executed bicycle kick is going in no matter what. Again, my point is that it is two different things to perform consistently at a world class level in Turkey than it is to do the same in one of the premier leagues. There is just no denying that fact. I'm not doubting Alex could do it, I would just like to see him do that before I anoint him better than players who are doing it in those leagues. Whether you like it or not, you have to accept it is, in fact, easier to accomplish things statistically in leagues like the Superliga then it is in the elite ones. That is why I don't put as much stock in Alex's statistics as you seem to.

Take for instance Turkeys leading scorers in the past few seasons against the leading scorers from the premier leagues in the world:

Player---------Goals----------Year---------League
    Fatih Tekke-------31------------04-05--------Turkish
    Diego Forlan------25-----------04-05---------La Liga
    A.Gilardino--------24-----------04-05---------Serie A
    Thierry Henry-----23-----------04-05----------EPL
    Zafer Biryol-------25-----------03-04----------Turkish
    Ronaldo----------24-----------03-04-----------La Liga
    Shevchenko------24-----------03-04-----------Serie A
    Thierry Henry-----30-----------03-04----------EPL

This is why I don't put too much stock in statistics when comparing the smaller leagues to the big ones.

Wrong. How exactly do I seem to be devaluing that?
    Agreed.
    Wrong again. No matter how much you like Alex you will never value what he did for Cruzeiro more than a Cruzeirense. I was living in BH at the time and not only did I actually watch every single game, I was in the Mineirão for half of them. To even assume that you value what he did for my team more than I do is bizarre to say the least and I don't know where you came up with that idea. Again I will ask, where did you come up with the idea that I seem to be devaluing what he did for my team? When did I mention anything about Alex and his performances with Cruzeiro in this discussion? How is it that from a discussion about his statistics and recent performances with Fenerbahce did this conversation turn to me undervaluing what he did for my team?

OK

[
    This may be sacrilegious, but I disagree with Tostão on this one. Kaká is clearly a better with Milan then he was with São Paulo, there is just no way around that.

Also… let me not neglect to mention this:

Again, Kaká is clearly a better player today then he was with São Paulo. And let me just make it clear that in 2003 Alex was better than Kaká, I don't think I said anything to the contrary.

I never said I said it or that I agree, I just said he has been accused of it.

Again,I never said I said it or that I agree, I just said he has been accused of it.

I challenge you to name a single player other than Alex, in any league, that has been putting up these kinds of numbers (.53 GPG, .56 APG) for three years straight. Ronaldinho has done pretty much that this year (~ .6 GPG, .4 APG), but not last year.
    I hate to keep copy and pasting but this goes back to my previous comment:

Player---------Goals----------Year---------League
    Fatih Tekke-------31------------04-05--------Turkish
    Diego Forlan------25-----------04-05---------La Liga
    A.Gilardino--------24-----------04-05---------Serie A
    Thierry Henry-----23-----------04-05----------EPL
    Zafer Biryol-------25-----------03-04----------Turkish
    Ronaldo----------24-----------03-04-----------La Liga
    Shevchenko------24-----------03-04-----------Serie A
    Thierry Henry-----30-----------03-04----------EPL

This is why I don't put too much stock in statistics when comparing the smaller leagues to the big ones.

And to add to that, Hakan Şükür scored 38 goals in Turkey in the 96-97 season. Does that somehow prove he was the worlds best, or even one of the worlds best goal scorers that season?

Hey, I'll hope and work hard with you. All I want is what he deserves and that is at least a place on the squad.

We can agree on that one:D .

Thanks for the article. I read Wilson Flavio's columns often.

Well, again we'll just have to agree to disagree. Kaká's creativity isn't that far off and his finishing is much better IMO, it's just as good as most strikers. And let's not forget his complete two two-footedness.
    For whatever it's worth (and I'm certainly not trying to change your mind) here are some compilaitons (they are all very short):
    http://media.putfile.com/Movie_00029636

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P0O8UPfjH5E&search=kaka

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7495324882511880836&q=kaka&pl=true

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D_sH3SYlwwY&search=kaka

This is one of my favorites, just for fun Ronaldinho vs Kaka:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=v7rGQfgxc9I&search=kaka

Well, again we'll just disagree on this one.
    I see your point. Let's not drag the Kaká is a craque Kaká is not a craque conversation any longer. If he isn't a craque in your eyes yet, surely he will be in the near future. I do think your being a bit unfair though.

Some people take offence to the smallest things, just figured I'd throw that out there.

Now I sound like a broken record but I can't resist. Doing it against Liverpool in a CL finals is different from doing it against Galatasaray or Flamengo. Liverpool had and has one of the best defenses in the world, on top of that, it's the final game of the biggest club tournament in the world. Big difference. I'm not doubting Alex could do the same in that spot, but I haven't seen him do it.

Me too. I just enjoy watching Kaká so ever since he joined them I rarely miss a game. Occasionally I'll watch some Inter games to check up on Adriano.
    We will agree that there may be better playmakers, but my point is he is one of them.

FONT]
    This is one of the things that most disappoint me about Alex. Like you said, I'm sure he has his reasons, but I'd love to know what they are. If he were playing in Spain or Italy, we might not even be having some of these discussions. He would also probably have a place on the Seleção locked by now. At the least he could be playing in Brasil. Even with the team Cruzeiro have now (which is inferior to the one in 2003), if Alex was added I'd be confident that we could win the championship, he's that good.
    [F
    And that's exactly why I think he should start.

[
    Amen. I'm with you 100% on this and you know it. The bottom line is we are a better team with him then without him.

[FONT=Verdana]He was our best player last time around and he is still a genius. He can’t display the regularity he did before and should definitely not start, but I am willing to bet that he’d come through in a moment of desperation better than Nilmar. Rivaldo eats pressure for breakfast, lunch and dinner. As a Corintiano, I have no hesitation in saying that, great player or not, Nilmar has to show quite a bit of football to be worthy of polishing his boots. In all fairness, I’d love Nilmar to go… but what is the likelihood of him actually getting to play?[/FONT]
    I don't think he's good enough to even be in the call up conversation while you clearly think he is.So that we don't drag this one along, let's just agree to disagree.
    [
    A lot of players have been out of form lately, we can only hope they will be fine come world cup time. I have confidence he can play well like he did in the copa america if called upon.

You made that clear already by suggesting Zero should not start. I on the other hand feel he is extremely important in the midfield and unless there is no way around it, I would not move him from that position.

11. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am not arguing that the quality of La Liga, Serie A or the Premiership are comparable to the Turkish Superleague. They are unquestionably better, and to say that they aren’t is patently absurd. However, if you look at much of what Alex has done, the difficulty would not be any higher were he to be playing in another league. That being the case, you cannot simply throw out the statistics, because they remain incredibly pertinent and exceptional independent of where he achieved them. Let me illustrate what I mean by this: While at Cruzeiro, Alex scored 64 goals and had 61 assists in 121 games. That is an average of .529 goals and .504 assists per game. At Fener, he’s scored 51 goals and made 55 assists (I don’t know if this counts the last Galatasaray game) in 93 matches. The averages are .548 and .591 assists.

A couple of things can be said at this point – firstly, that his adaptation to a radically different style of football was nearly instant, and did not result in a loss of form. That, to me, is a point in favor of his greatness. Next, he managed to win over a demanding torcida to the extent that he is now a unanimity – a maximum idol – and universal recognition by even the media as the best player in the league. To do that in two years is extremely hard, particularly for a foreign player and doubly so for it being in Turkey.

Here are some of Alex has to say regarding his career at Fenerbahçe:

Existem diferenças em um clássico como Fenerbahçe e Galatasaray para um Palmeiras e Corinthians, por exemplo?”
    “Alex: As diferenças básicas são duas. No Corinthians e Palmeiras tem muito futebol e nem tanta paixão. Os torcedores brasileiros podem achar que estou falando uma loucura, com um parafuso a menos, mas comparado com o povo turco a paixão é muito pequena. Mas aqui o jogo é muito ruim de se assistir porque o clássico é de muita pegada, muito duro, com muita falta e pouca técnica.”

“Seus números no Fenerbahçe impressionam. Já acha que se tornou um dos maiores ídolos da história do clube?”
    Alex:
    Não sei. Porque preciso de tradutor para entender tudo o que acontece. E como ele é novo, muita coisa não consegue me passar. Mas na história recente do Fenerbahçe, alguns estrangeiros passaram por aqui e não ganharam tantos títulos ou tiveram números tão bons, mas ganharam um carinho muito grande da torcida. Então acredito que quando eu sair a lembrança em relação a mim será boa porque tenho feito bons jogos.”

Muitos jogadores evoluem no futebol europeu. Isso ocorreu com você também?
    “Alex: Na parte tática, sem dúvida. É diferente em relação ao Brasil. Mas na parte técnica e física é igual. Não tem muita diferença. Eles valorizam mais a marcação, ajudar a defesa, uma composição tática. Isso eu melhorei no meu futebol.”

“No Fenerbahçe, você é o goleador, líder de assistências, grande ídolo da torcida. Mas a mídia fala pouco do futebol turco no Brasil. Você se arrepende de ter ido jogar num país sem tanta tradição?
    Alex: Não. Em nenhum momento. A proposta era muito boa. Demorei oito meses para aceitar e fechar o contrato. Pensei bem, conversei com várias pessoas na época. Inclusive com o Parreira, o Jairo Leal (auxiliar técnico da Seleção) e o Moraci Santanna (preparador físico da Seleção). Sabia que o Campeonato Turco não era tão divulgado como outros que acontecem aqui na Europa. Mas foi uma escolha que fiz. É um campeonato difícil, complicado. Os jogos são muito disputados.”

The statistics are phenomenal in and of themselves. They don’t establish the best player – but they reveal quite a lot. If Turkey were so much weaker, why would the numbers stay somewhat constant in relation to what they were in Brasil? Surely they’d shoot through the roof. Why would many of the foreign players not have achieved what he has achieved? A combined .53 goal, .56 assist average over 220 games in both the Turkish and Brasilian leagues is incredible, and it proves if anything he is a consistent performer (since we don’t see Alex scoring or creating 10 goals in one game and “sleeping” in the other 9). Like I told you previously – produce counter examples and I will stop bandying these statistics about. Subjectively, the things this player continues to do are also incredible, you need only look at the video to confirm it. The fact that it was done on Turkish and not Italian soil does not diminish the skill required. See Alex’s own comments above -- Turkish football is not the “mamão com açucar” you seem to be implying.

Quite predictably, we draw different conclusions from the same numbers. What I realize when looking at this similarity is that given roughly the same number of games, top scorers tend to score close to the same number of goals. This does not mean the skill is equal, but rather, that there is only so much time in a football game and teams that are well organized tactically and physically well prepared tend to limit scoring opportunities to a certain number. You could throw the 1996 Ronaldo in the Turkish league and it would be incredibly hard to average more than a goal per game. The difficulty in scoring, particularly given the importance and emphasis on defending / marcação, is not quite as vast as you would suggest. Goals in various leagues should be given different weight depending on the quality of the league (this is done with most continental top scorer awards), for example – someone that scores 40 goals in Italy in a season has achieved more than someone who does the same in Turkey. At the same time, to draw the conclusion that this same person, on the same form, would be able to score 60 in Turkey is flat wrong. Likewise, you can’t assume the reverse: that if someone scores 20 in Turkey they would score only 10 or 5 in Italy. You can make determinations about a person’s technique from the sorts of goals they are scoring… and the degree of difficulty in Alex’s strikes tends to be very high.

That is all I want as well. If he is going to be a titular, he is going to have to win that on his own merit. I think he’s capable of it, but only he can do this part. It would be wrong to interfere in the actual escalação of the team… putting pressure on Parreira to remember Alex’s achievements and take him to the cup, however, is fair game.

It may have been a stretch… but I think that you are holding onto the fallacious view that to prove their worth, a footballer has to play in Europe’s top leagues and perform there. I cannot disagree more with this. It’s a useful measure, to be sure, particularly since it shows a player’s adaptability… and the overall technical level is higher, but Alex’s achievements at your club require no comparison because they are great and unique in and of themselves. Upon witnessing his brilliance it was not necessary to hold him up against the sun to determine which was brighter. You may disagree with me, but I find it all the more surprising given that you saw it in person. In all my time following football... I have never seen anything quite like it.

I think that’s a simplistic argument. Sure, you may possess a stronger emotional connection to the team than I do (it is still my second favorite in Brasil), but I admire great football no matter where it is being played. I was talking about this earlier in relation to Rivaldo and the 1996 campeão Paulista Palmeiras. I despise Palmeiras… but I loved that team. Don’t ask me to explain it beyond that…

I envy you. Since I wasn’t living in Brasil at the time, I only had the fortune of seeing one Cruzeiro game that year in person… the 3-2 victory over Inter. I saw every one that was shown on TV (quite a few) and often found myself listening on Itatiaia quite frequently.

I am not suggesting that I value it more, or that you don’t value it enough. That was your first titulo Brasileiro, to top off a year where you won everything. I have no idea what that feels like… I apologize if I gave you a contrary impression. What I am saying is that you can’t lower your opinion of Alex because he did what all of that in Brasil and with your team… that isn’t being realistic… it’s false compensation. When you discount statistics that were roughly at the same level in Brasil as they are in Turkey, you seem to imply a lower opinion of his achievements. While I agree that it is easy to let your emotions cloud your vision, it doesn’t mean that you can’t recognize greatness beyond comparison through them. For example, I became incredibly attached to the 2002 Corinthians team in a way that I didn’t to the one that won last year, even though the one from last year was much better (at least in the Brasileiro). As a supporter of another team, I am telling you that your high opinion of Alex’s performance was not exaggerated by your fandom… I am sure you can find objective Atleticanos that will tell you the same (that is, if they can stop frothing at the mouth long enough to utter a comprehensible phrase).

I don’t think he has a low opinion of Kaka or believes that his game has not improved with his experience… he even says that he’s learned to pass the ball more. What I think he is saying is that Kaka was great before he moved to Italy… it wasn’t his experience in Italian football (no matter what the Europeans think) that made him the player he is. He simply got a bigger stage and a more effective marketing machine behind him.

Would you hold the same opinion if Alex were doing what he is doing at Fener at say… a Villareal? Kaka may have improved, and for all I know he may be more of a complete package (better physical characteristics, etc) but Alex is still better IMO. Alex is an alien… Kaka is a mere human.

But that is precisely the point I am trying to make. Different people value different things… some things tend to get you more plaudits than others. Beating 3 defenders on the way to a goal almost always is going to get you more recognition than superb positioning that allows you to make yet another of your trademark through passes… but what is the end result?

I realize that there is an incredible amount of subjectivity in this… hence my desire to back it up with some statistics. For my part, I value and prefer Alex’s skillset to Kaka’s and I think it’s a greater indication of footballing talent. I may totally burn myself on this one… but I am willing to go out on a limb and say that in the future, Alex would make a better manager than Kaka as well.

What did you think of this particular one?

I think Kaka is a better striker than Alex… no question about it. However, Alex is the better midfielder, the better playmaker, and the better player IMO.

Good videos.

I've always been impressed by how elegantly he strikes that ball... that is unique IMO and is one of the reasons I will probably come to consider him a craque. The ball seems to fly differently through the air when he hits it. Actually... I look at this as a sort of signature that differentiates you from other players.

Everything about the videos scream "Striker" not midfielder. I think he only plays a midfield role because he is so fast. I'd be more likely to consider him a craque deep-lying striker than a craque midfielder.

I probably am and am willing to concede as much. His performance against Argentina in the Confed Cup final almost pushed him over the edge for me. I hope that he decides to prove his greatness during this WC.

Games are not won with reputation. If they were, Milan would have won… and surely the majority of the Intercontinental Cups / World Club Championships would be sitting on European shelves – including the one that the Bambis now have. The fact of the matter is that they aren’t.

I’d prefer that he was in Brasil… actually, I’d prefer that most of our craques were in Brasil, but that’s another matter. Check out tpmazembe’s guestbook. We were having a good discussion about this there a few weeks ago and it seems to have died out.

On the other hand, I respect him as a player and as a person. He has a perfect right to play wherever he wants.

So do I. You don’t flush three years of preparation down the toilet over personal preferences, but likewise, you don’t ignore 3 years of outstanding achievements for the same reasons.

Definitely. Seeing the video really crystallized my desire to try to help him… and that is the reason I am making such a fuss about this now.

I think he should start, but only in the current formation. But I’d like to see a Edmilson waiting in the wings and a Gilberto Silva shadowing Emerson.

12. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Hey guys just wanted to say it was a fun draft. It was especially fun because I got to know you guys a little better. Ive been on BS for years and mostly have been stoned for my opinions so it was nice to have played in a cival draft and gotten to know some of you better.

13. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You definately shouldn't be stoned for your opinions, if anything, you should be stoned for your choice in team to support. :p

Joking aside, I think that this has been a great exercise for the reasons you mentioned. I have't been as involved (actually, I need to get around to doing the remaining profiles and my tactics) lately, but it's had much to do with my little Alex campaign. Incidentally, that shouldn't hurt you much with the judges. ;)

14. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Yeah thanks...Alex is pure class...

As for team choice...haha this coming from a fan of KIA-MSI?

I am kinda hoping MSI gets by River...and Inter meets up with MSI in the Semi's.....sweet revenge is waiting...but I guess first we have to get that far...

INTER in 5 HOURS!!!

15. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hahaha, that is EXACTLY the kind of mindset I want from Inter. Not only are they not even looking at their current opponent, but they are looking into the future to meet up with Corinthians in the Libertadores. Maybe we can give them a little wake up call and tell them here's your chance to win the Brasileirao, don't mess up. :D

16. Pedro_Fut

Pedro_Fut New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Man if you are not involved I wonder who is! One thing I did not understand in your discussion with R9magia is the Kaka vs Alex issue. I thought that you are sugesting to play both kaka and Alex (and drop Adriano). So the discussion should be Alex vs Adriano (or two CF + 2 offensive midfield vs 1 CF + 3 offensive midfield). I personaly prefer just Ronaldo (or even just Adriano) upfront. My starter is Robinho (I like your formation better but it was not tested and it might not work!). In my view Robinho is the turning point from a dull performance to a very strong and flashy one in this second Parreira´s term. Adriano and Ronaldo played just two (good) game togheter, I think. And in Brasil vs Chile Robinho was also there! But I admit that my preference does not mean that the team with Robinho is more likely to win, it just that I prefer to see the kind of game that such a combination will provide. Also, I think that in a complicate game we can always put Adriano and send balls to the atack.

17. Pedro_Fut

Pedro_Fut New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Sempre I am curious in one point. How Mazinho is rated in Italy. Was his period with Lecce any good? I am a huge fan of Mazinho, during his time at Palmeiras he was simply amazing. He was a maestro and a very good defender. I think he is under rated for his defensive skills. And I know that in Spain he rules with Celta de Vigo.

The only thing he could not do is to score, which is also amazing since his shooting abilitys were not that bad (I saw much worse shooters score with much more frequency).

18. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Inter is now on a 30 game winning streak I believe....havent lost at home since August 2005....I would be very surprised if we lose it to Flamengo but you never know...

19. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    lol, is that some doubt I see there?:D If Flamengo breaks the streak, I think it'll warrant a topic on its own based on how much you have been hyping it:p

20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  21. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This has definately lost steam.

My suggestion: set a deadline.

I am probably not going to do it until my back is to the wall... I've been so busy with the Alex campaign.

22. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  23. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    yeah this needs to come to a conclusion..

24. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I posted who needs to post their strategies in the judgement thread..

25. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Let's set a deadline.