Brandin McClay to Crewe Alexandra?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    In today's news:

Taunton High School soccer star Brandin McClay has always dreamed of playing professionally, and now he is getting the chance.

McClay, 16, has been "drafted" by the Crewe Alexandra Football Club of England to play on its under-18 league team and train in its professional development system.

He has been offered a two-year contract to go to Crewe, England, to play and train full-time in hopes of someday joining the English pro leagues. The offer is the equivalent of being drafted.​

According to the story, he's evaluating the offer as well as interest from several top colleges.

Link:
    http://enterprise.southofboston.com/articles/2006/04/19/news/news/news16.txt

Some more background:

McClay has also recently been selected to the Super Y League Olympic Development Program Select Team. He attended the ODP National Camp for U15, U16 and U17 boys in Cocoa, FL, in mid-January where the top players from the 2005 Super Y League season in each of the divisions across the country participated in four days of extensive training, matches, and player education seminars. McClay was selected amongst the top eighteen U16 players in the US.​

Link:
    http://www.mpsbr.com/news/2006/mcclay.html

[​IMG]

2. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando
    Is that a Gooch hair-do on his head?

3. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's one big 16 year old. He already has the body to play the pro game.

4. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can't really tell, one way or the other, from that picture.

Considering Crewe's relative weakness...I would bet he could get some first team action quickly if he performs well. Assuming, of course, he can get a WP. I wonder if his grandparents are from the British Isles? :)

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, he likely ain't gonna learn how to play defense.

In 44 league games, Crewe has give up a whopping 83 goals! That's by far the worst D in the Colaship. The next porous are Brighton and Luton with 65.

The bad D is the leading reason Crewe is gonna be relegated despite being tied for 11th in goals-scored with 53.

So, naturally the thing to do if you're Crewe is to go out and sign an American attacking midfielder.:D

Here's hoping the kid takes the offer and develops well. For an attacking midfielder, Crew is a pretty good place to learn to play. And with them dropping to League One next year, the chances of playing first team ball pretty soon seem pretty good.

If he does sign, let's hope Crew come back up ASAP as you don't want to be mired in the lower levels of English football for too long. No matter what their rep for attacking soccer is, the reality is there won't be a lot of skilled players in the bootroom to teach Brandin the game if they stay in League one more than a season.

6. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    How was he drafted?

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It appears more like the Szetela hair-do. :)

Congrats to Brandin or his move. It will be a big step towards a career. It takes a lot for a kid to move out of his confort zone, emotionally,to a move to a foreign place. I wish more kids could. I hope to see him breakthrough sooner than later at Crewe.

8. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Ok I'm pretty confused. How does he get around FIFA's rule about under 18yrs old aka Adu as discussed ad naseum? Does he have some sort of British ancestry?

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Barring future developments, I think it's a safe assumption. Not all local sportswriters can be expected to understand how this stuff works and ask such questions. That said, anything's possible and we've seen several cases of teams forgetting to double-check before trying to sign players (see: Jason Landers, Mark Schulte -- also Crewe! -- and maybe others).

10. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    There's not a lot of better places in England to go to as a kid than Crewe. Dario Gradi is a well-respected cultivator of talent.

11. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Well if this is the case and it looks like it is then someone should post it on the Adu thread as further proof that it could happen!

12. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    And to think I had to get married to an Brit to work in this country. If I had only known then!

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    To be clear, what I think it is safe to assume is that the player already has access to a UK/EU passport somehow and would use it in this case.

14. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8

did you read the article?

15. odsum25

odsum25 New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    New York
    The transfer of minors deal is a non-issue here. He's linked to the youth teams at Crewe. You can go over whenever you want to play in the youth levels.

16. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He wasn't. I'd guess they are just trying to explain it in American terms.

Crewe's not a bad place to go. Their whole ethos has been about playing football on the floor rather than playing a more physical pragmatic game. Their manager has been in charge for 23 years now and the club has progressed, albeit slowly, from being absolute rank stereotypical basement-dwellers to being a club capable of surving (although not this season) in the top divisions. To achieve that with low support and no rich chairman, and playing decent football, is a huge achievement.

If he's good enough he'll get games, even at 16, athough I wouldn't expect him to launch straight into the team.

17. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006

Yep, I don't think he's get get many better offers than this. Dario Gradi has obtained legendary status in English football for devloping young talent (most famously David Platt) and also for his longetivity at Crewe.

Crewe's lifeblood is developing young players and selling them on to bigger clubs.

18. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Dang. He's 16 and a senior!

19. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Except Brandin plays for the good Crew(e). :D

20. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    Sweet!!! An American playing for the club of my ancestors.

21. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    If he signs, and can make the cut.

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Read much?;)

From the article:

Brandin McClay, a junior, has been playing at the academy since March 25, where coaches have been evaluating his skills.

23. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Lol

I have senioritis! :D
    Sry!

24. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure he was an EU passport. Why would a team invest money developing a player that couldn't play for them?

25. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    I always think that players who came through the academy automatically counted the same as EU players.